Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PH probe not calibrating right.

New User

PH probe not calibrating right.

So i got my new apex two days ago and started setting it up. Went through all the steps and calibrated accordingly. After everything was done the PH showed 11.x so i figured i did something wrong.

The next day i went out and bought new calibration fluids and went through the process TWICE more. Fluids at 25C (same as tank). cleaned the probe before and after each fluid. And got the same result. Tank is showing 11.x in the sump. Everything is in the right socket and so on.

Ideas?

Regular Vistor
    I had the same problem. I recalibrate twice as well. Before you calibrate, see if the reading matches the pH of the calibration fluid first to see how far off u are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    In the 7.0 solution it shows a PH of 10.2 and the 10.0 fluid shows 10.4

PH probe not calibrating right.

Deleted

New User
    Both has been tested :/

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes7599 View Post
    Your probably around 8.x. 10.2-7.0=3.2
    Since it's reading higher subtract that from the actual reading which gives you 8.x. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting? Or tried with a test kit?
    Sorry, but this is not a valid suggestion.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by m0jjen View Post
    In the 7.0 solution it shows a PH of 10.2 and the 10.0 fluid shows 10.4
    Calibration is a fine-tuning process; it cannot correct a gross error like this. Either the probe is defective or damaged, or the pH port has a problem.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I agree

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Calibration is a fine-tuning process; it cannot correct a gross error like this. Either the probe is defective or damaged, or the pH port has a problem.
    Tested pluggin the ph probe into the PH2 just for the sake of it. Got a reading of 6.99 without calibrating it.

New User
    I just realized that my ph probe has and "offset" of -2109. What is this? Why does it have an offset of -2109

Namnlös.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by m0jjen View Post
    I just realized that my ph probe has and "offset" of -2109. What is this? Why does it have an offset of -2109
    Somehow those got hosed, perhaps from the previous calibration attempts. Using APEX Local (not APEX Fusion), go to the page where you see those values, then click the Manual Probe Calibration button. Step through the calibration wizard, just clicking Next, Next, Next, and then Finish. Do not wait for any values to settle - just step through it as quickly as you can. This will cause the default offset and scale values to be restored. Disregard the values displayed when it finishes. Go back to the Input page, then select the pH input again. On the Advanced tab, the displayed should be Offset -92 and Scale 1114. If they are not, do it again. Put the probe in tank water if it's not already, and wait a minute. Is the reading something relatively close to normal (like in the high 7s or low 8s), or is it way off? If it's in the ballpark of a normal pH reading, try to calibrate using pH7 and pH10 solution again.

New User
    I have now manually calibrated it like you said and pressed "Next, next, next". The offset is 0 now and its displaying a ph of 6.94. Gonna try and calibrate it again. Im guessing manual calibration is the way to go?

New User
    Same result when calibrating after the "reset". Automatic calibration fails and manual results in a PH around 6.9x

Regular Vistor
    So Russ, you've been around a long time. I'm having pH probe issues like ALOT of users. I'm seeing a trend and I know Neptune is looking into it. Do you have any issues? Are these probes and/hardware probs or user error?

Regular Vistor
    So what happened with m0jjen's calibration problems

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by pdisner View Post
    So what happened with m0jjen's calibration problems

Contacted the apex support and they conducted some testing. The conclusion is that the probe is busted and it has been sent back. Currently waiting for a new

Regular Vistor
    This process worked for me but what a PITA. For what we're spending on this, the probe calibration shouldn't be so difficult. I still don't have my conductivity probe calibrated correctly. Is there a reset process for the Conductivity probe similar to the instructions for the pH probe?

Regular Vistor
    I'm having the same issue with my new Apex 2016. Worked perfect on my Apex Classic but on the 2016 version my pH has dropped from 8.00-8.30 to 7.50-8.00. I've auto calibrated 3 times and manually calibrated once, makes no difference. Even tried Russ's trick above which got my offsets to -92 and 1114 but the pH reading is still way too low.

Did anyone ever get this resolved?

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCEnglish View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my new Apex 2016. Worked perfect on my Apex Classic but on the 2016 version my pH has dropped from 8.00-8.30 to 7.50-8.00. I've auto calibrated 3 times and manually calibrated once, makes no difference. Even tried Russ's trick above which got my offsets to -92 and 1114 but the pH reading is still way too low.

Did anyone ever get this resolved?
    Im just setting up my new 2016 unit and am having the same issues. Its looking to me like a programming bug. Regardless of which solution I have the probe in, the reading settles at 780. Even when I purposefully put it into the 4.0 solution it reads 396 for a brief second then then jumps to 780 and doesnt budge. I am having the same results with two probes. The brand new one and the probe i bought six months ago that was rock solid on my classic unit until I removed it from the tank this morning.

New User
    I just calibrated my probes on new apex setup and all reading are off. What is the best way to resolve this?

Regular Vistor
    This issue is one of my current challenges - been doing lots of reading but no one has seemed to report a solution for the calibration challenges I'm encountering.

After several (precise, slow) manual cal attempts with my pH probe (double junction probe, Apex 2016) - I get the same readings from the probe in the test solutions. 10.01 solution reads ~9.6x and 7.0 solution reads ~6.6x.

This low-side offset transfers over to the tank water, too, which reads ~7.8x when my RedSea pH test repeatedly reads 8.1-8.2x. I don't mind mentally adjusting for the offset, but it's frustrating not being able to reliably calibrate these probes.

Observing these issues dating back several years on the latest version of Apex makes me feel like I should be coming across more reliable solutions and methods for calibrating. Can anyone help spread the love for how to do this properly? Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by otter_water View Post
    This issue is one of my current challenges - been doing lots of reading but no one has seemed to report a solution for the calibration challenges I'm encountering.

After several (precise, slow) manual cal attempts with my pH probe (double junction probe, Apex 2016) - I get the same readings from the probe in the test solutions. 10.01 solution reads ~9.6x and 7.0 solution reads ~6.6x.

This low-side offset transfers over to the tank water, too, which reads ~7.8x when my RedSea pH test repeatedly reads 8.1-8.2x. I don't mind mentally adjusting for the offset, but it's frustrating not being able to reliably calibrate these probes.

Observing these issues dating back several years on the latest version of Apex makes me feel like I should be coming across more reliable solutions and methods for calibrating. Can anyone help spread the love for how to do this properly? Thank you!!
    I have had that problem a couple times. One time the fix was to use the display (this was for a classic apex), so I would try the local dashboard and see if that helps. Another time the problem was resolved by doing a "reset" on the probe. Do a manual calibration with the probe unplugged, then try the calibration again.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I have had that problem a couple times. One time the fix was to use the display (this was for a classic apex), so I would try the local dashboard and see if that helps. Another time the problem was resolved by doing a "reset" on the probe. Do a manual calibration with the probe unplugged, then try the calibration again.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    TY, I will try using Apex.local to perform a reset and then re-calibration once I get more test fluid packets.
    Last edited by otter_water; 04-17-2018 at 19:35. Reason: irrelevant comment to this thread

Regular Vistor
    Successfully re-calibrated my pH probe tonight:

1. Power cycled Apex Controller fully.
    2. unplug pH probe.
    3. use Apex Local for calibration/setup.
    4. pH temp compensation - Enabled.
    5. perform rapid manual calibration process w/probe disconnected to reset the pH cal.
    6. plug in pH probe.
    7. perform manual calibration via Apex Local.
    8. wait 5mi to settle w/each cal fluid (numbers settled ~719 and ~999).
    9. pH:10.01 cal solution read an even 10.0 after calibrating - now my tank reports a proper 8.17x

I believe these factors were causing me issues between both pH and Cond probe calibrating:
    - Apex needed a power cycle,
    - using Apex Fusion for calibration is less successful/consistent.
    - Cond probe does not want/need to be dried for hours.

I feel I could get any Apex to properly calibrate pH and Cond with my knowledge now. Thanks for your guy's help!

New User
    Hi there

Did you manage to get everything sorted? I am having the same issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast