Thread: Techie idiot getting frustrated

New User

Techie idiot getting frustrated

Hello,
    I bought an apex jr in an attempt to add some techie sophistication to my tank. I am losing my mind trying to get it working and am wondering if anyone can help me. I hard wired it into my router to complete the initial stages. Fine. My tank is on the other side of my house from my router so I went out and bought a netgear wireless adapter to bring the Internet to my tank so I could complete the setup. Set up the net gear then plugged it in and it immediately started smoking.

Mind the next stages of the install which I don't even know where to start from now that I've interrupted that process... how do you set this thing up if your router is nowhere near your tank?

I'm starting to look at this thing like it's a very expensive paper weight and it's making me sad.

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Lane.unger View Post
    I went out and bought a netgear wireless adapter to bring the Internet to my tank so I could complete the setup. Set up the net gear then plugged it in and it immediately started smoking.
    If that Netgear is a USB wireless adapter, you purchased the wrong type of device. Aquabus is not USB. https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post96582

The wireless gizmos people use are ones that have an Ethernet port on them. You setup the wireless adapter using your computer, then connect it with a network cable to the Apex. You can also use Powerline network adapters, which come in pair - one gets connected to your router, the other to your Apex; both get plugged into nearby wall outlets; they electrical wiring in your home to communicate with one another.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Well don't I feel dumb. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me!