Thread: High temperature fluctuation

New User

High temperature fluctuation

1 month old apex jr.

Temperature constantly jumping by 0.6F... to me it looks like something is wrong or probe is very cheap.

Probe is submerged in to sump overflow chamber. Even if I stop the flow, temperature never gets stable. Anyone has that?

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by smitas5 View Post
    1 month old apex jr.

Temperature constantly jumping by 0.6F... to me it looks like something is wrong or probe is very cheap.

Probe is submerged in to sump overflow chamber. Even if I stop the flow, temperature never gets stable. Anyone has that?
    What's your programming?

Temp.JPG

You can see the difference between my two temperature probes; note how the second probe has very rapid spikes whereas the original probe is smooth. Is that what you notice?

Regular Vistor
    Not to high jack a thread but I am having this same problem and my graphs look just like that. The probe from my main head unit (apex classic) has a steady smooth graph and the probe on my two week old PM1 module is all over the place. I just bought a new temp probe and the same thing is happening. It makes it impossible to use the probe to control a heater

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboots View Post
    Not to high jack a thread but I am having this same problem and my graphs look just like that. The probe from my main head unit (apex classic) has a steady smooth graph and the probe on my two week old PM1 module is all over the place. I just bought a new temp probe and the same thing is happening. It makes it impossible to use the probe to control a heater
    Agreed; did you try using the original temperature probe on the PM1 and seeing if it behaves the same way?

Regular Vistor
    The first probe I used with the PM1 was the one from my main tank that I replaced which was working fine on the head unit just replaced it as preventative maintenance. I then swapped it out with a brand new probe and the same thing. I even tried test the new probe away from all my wiring in case it was due to interference of some sort and it still does it. I have a ticket open with Neptune they want the PM1 and the new temp probe to diagnose with. Just trying to find the damn receipt. I'm in the middle of redoing all my apex/electrical gear and it looks like a bomb went off.

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboots View Post
    The first probe I used with the PM1 was the one from my main tank that I replaced which was working fine on the head unit just replaced it as preventative maintenance. I then swapped it out with a brand new probe and the same thing. I even tried test the new probe away from all my wiring in case it was due to interference of some sort and it still does it. I have a ticket open with Neptune they want the PM1 and the new temp probe to diagnose with. Just trying to find the damn receipt. I'm in the middle of redoing all my apex/electrical gear and it looks like a bomb went off.
    I just switch the probes between my head unit and PM3; I will monitor it over 24 hours to see if I get the same behavior [ie. looks like it will].

How close is your PM1 module to the EB8's or the head unit?

Regular Vistor
    It's about 6 inches away. I thought of that too and removed it and held it about 8-10 inches away from the wall same thing. My only guess is something is wrong with the PM module or there is some sort of interference between the PM and the rest of the system. I've tried switching aquabus ports too and no different. I actually have another used PM module coming tomorrow going to try that out as well then I can rule out the actual new module.

And here is my graph so you don't feel alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeboots; 01-25-2017 at 19:34. Reason: Adding photo