Thread: Kessil A360WE Not Shutting Off (Apex 2016)

New User

Unhappy Kessil A360WE Not Shutting Off (Apex 2016)

Seems like the issue may be something simple I am overlooking, I've searched high and low to find whether anyone else has the same issue without success and thought I would run this by the experts here.

I have a Kessil A360WE connected to VarSpd1_I1 & VarSpd2_I2 on my Apex 2016, using the Kessil cable with RJ45 jack. Followed the basic guide to use the wizard here.

Testing operation by manually switching color and intensity:
    VARSPD1_I1 set to ON turns the color completely white (as expected)
    VARSPD1_I1 set to OFF turns the color completely blue (as expected)
    VARSPD2_I2 set to ON turns the light output to the highest setting (as expected)
    VARSPD2_I2 set to OFF does not turn the light off completely (unexpected)

This translates into the A360WE not completely turning off at the end of the cycle. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Here is my intensity/output program:

output_wizard_zpsxcywuhaz.jpg

Fallback OFF
    tdata 00:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 09:35:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 12:00:00,0,0,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 14:30:00,0,0,80,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 16:30:00,0,0,65,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 19:00:00,0,0,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 21:30:00,0,0,35,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 23:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 23:59:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

New User
    Finally resolved this, updating in case anyone else encounters the issue.

I tested the variable voltage ports on the Apex using a multimeter, and they were reading correctly for on, off, and in between. Kessil customer support offered some suggestions, but they had also never heard of this issue. Ultimately I was able to borrow an A360 from a local reefer, using the exact same program, cables, and everything else, the borrowed A360 followed the program and fully turned off. It seems my A360 is very special, the manual knobs for intensity and color adjustment worked just fine and there was no indication of a board defect that prevents it from being controlled externally. Hope this helps anyone else that might be facing the same issue from pulling their hair out like I did.

Regular Vistor
    Need Help! Kessil A360 and using the Variable Speed wizards. Lights turned on at the right time, however they do not turn off at the 20:30 mark. I’ve included some screen shots of my programming. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil A360s do not dim below 12-14%. Adjust your schedule so that 12% is the minimum used. Plug the Kessil into a EB outlet and program that outlet to turn on and off the light to coincide with your variable output schedule.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Here’s the new programming, light still remains on....

Why did you program the EB outlet to only turn off for a few minutes?

Use this:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time xx:xx to yy:yy Then ON

Replace xx:xx with the time of day you want the lights to turn on and replace yy:yy with the time of day to turn them off.

Your lighting schedule makes little sense to me because you have a long slow slight ramp up and then only have a 5.5 hour main lighting period.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    New tank, only lighting it for 3-4 hours a day to help prevent algae bloom. I initially followed the BRS program but haven’t been able to get it to work, so I’ve essentially been turning them on manually.

Regular Vistor
    New programming as suggested, light is still on...

Make sure the outlet slider is in AUTO.

Go to the clock page in Apex Local or Apex Fusion and check the timezone offset is properly set for your timezone - it should be -6 for you in Kansas.

Regular Vistor
    I’ll try that Russ, thank you for your help

Regular Vistor
    The time zone fixed it Russ!! I had it set to the appropriate time zone but it was reading out -8 instead of -6. Thank you for your time and patience. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!

New User
    I have a similar issue but the lights are ReefBrite XHO LED Blue strip light 72 inch. the lights work fine if you turn them on and off not using the controller. I have the ReefBrite Dual channel controller interface that plugs into the apex variable speed ports with an RJ45 connection. the lights will come on and off and I can vary the brightness as configured but they will not turn off completely. I have followed information in this thread to see if I could solve the issue to no avail. I checked and my timezone is correct -8 as I am in CA. here is my current configuration as I have tried basic and advanced to no avail.
    hope you can help me.

Output Configuration

Output
    Device
    base_Var3

Name
    Frt_Led3_I3
    Icon

Control Type

Advanced
    Log
    Enable
    Configuration
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 11:00 to 22:00 Then ON

Kessil A360WE Not Shutting Off (Apex 2016)

When I was working with some Reefbrite XHO lights, they did not dim below 7%... they were quite dim at 7%, but still were on and did not dim any further when the Apex intensity was 6% or less. That was a few years ago, and I do not know if they have changed anything. You can find out yourself with some simple testing that will only take a minute or two.

Temporarily program the variable speed output which is connected to the XHO driver like this:

Set 10

This will force the light to 10% intensity. Send that new program to the Apex. Look at the XHO fixture.

Do this again, but use Set 9. Watch for the light to dim a little bit immediately after you send the updated program. Repeat 1 percent at a time ( Set 8, then Set 7, etc) until you find the intensity value at which the VHO no longer dims. To reiterate, for me, that value was 7%.

The program the variable output for the lighting schedule you desire. Make the first and last schedule point at the time you want to lights to turn on and to turn off respectively, and configure both of those to the minimum intensity you found during the testing. I created this example to have the 7% start and end intensity that was the right value for me:

XHO.PNG

Because the lights can't be dimmed below X%, you need to plug the LED driver into an EnergyBar outlet so it can be turned on and off to match your VarSpd schedule
    In my example, my lighting period starts at 08:00 and ends at 21:00. So the programming will be:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 08:00 to 20:59 Then ON

This is the simple way, but if you change the lighting schedule in the variable output, you have to remember to also change the times in the EB outlet program. Instead, in a form of "working smarter, not harder", you can let the Apex handle it automatically so you don't have to hard code times in the EB outlet program...

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Output XHO Percent > 7 Then ON

New User

ok so I need to have them plugged into the Apex controller then? for the power to the lights? I do not have it this way. will I need to program that outlet to turn them off? or will the controller automatically tell that outlet to power down and up respectively?

Thanks,
    -Steven

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    When I was working with some Reefbrite XHO lights, they did not dim below 7%... they were quite dim at 7%, but still were on and did not dim any further when the Apex intensity was 6% or less. That was a few years ago, and I do not know if they have changed anything. You can find out yourself with some simple testing that will only take a minute or two.

Temporarily program the variable speed output which is connected to the XHO driver like this:

Set 10

This will force the light to 10% intensity. Send that new program to the Apex. Look at the XHO fixture.

Do this again, but use Set 9. Watch for the light to dim a little bit immediately after you send the updated program. Repeat 1 percent at a time ( Set 8, then Set 7, etc) until you find the intensity value at which the VHO no longer dims. To reiterate, for me, that value was 7%.

The program the variable output for the lighting schedule you desire. Make the first and last schedule point at the time you want to lights to turn on and to turn off respectively, and configure both of those to the minimum intensity you found during the testing. I created this example to have the 7% start and end intensity that was the right value for me:

XHO.PNG

Because the lights can't be dimmed below X%, you need to plug the LED driver into an EnergyBar outlet so it can be turned on and off to match your VarSpd schedule
    In my example, my lighting period starts at 08:00 and ends at 21:00. So the programming will be:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 08:00 to 20:59 Then ON

This is the simple way, but if you change the lighting schedule in the variable output, you have to remember to also change the times in the EB outlet program. Instead, in a form of "working smarter, not harder", you can let the Apex handle it automatically so you don't have to hard code times in the EB outlet program...

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Output XHO Percent > 7 Then ON

I answered those questions already in my lengthy reply