Thread: PMUP Max Cord Lenght

Frequent Visitor

PMUP Max Cord Lenght

Hello,

If I understood correctly the max power cord length for PMUP is 6 meters.

So the PMUP comes with 1.8 meter and the extension cable comes with 3 meters which gives me 4.8m ... actually I am 1.2m short.

How can I extend it? If I purchase another extension I will be completely out of max recommended size.

Advice?

All the best,
    Rui

New User
    I am wondering the same thing. I want to put an ATO in another room but I need a longer extender to go to the PMUP

Frequent Visitor
    I can think of a couple complicated but workable solutions.

1. Buy a 24VDC relay and attach that to the 24VDC port on the APEX. Buy the PMUP power adapter, and put the relay between the PMUP and the power adapter. Then, plug the PMUP in locally and use the 24VDC relay to switch it on and off.

2. You can DIY an extension cable and upsize the wires. I'd have to do the math to correctly size it, but it should be possible depending on the total distance.

Frequent Visitor
    Good question I need to extend mine also. Why would they sell an extension if it can not work. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lennyd19 View Post
    Good question I need to extend mine also. Why would they sell an extension if it can not work.
    How did you get the idea that the Neptune DC24 extension cable doesn't work? It does.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    As I understood it the extension would put you over the maximum cable length for the pmup.

PMUP Max Cord Lenght

The PMUP cable is about 6.5' and the extension is about 10'. So a PUMP and extension together is about 16.5, well within the published 20' max total power cable length for a DC24 accessory. You can use one extension, but not two.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok thank you for that clarification.

Frequent Visitor
    Exactly Russ,

But If I need the 20' total, unless I DIY ... there is no way to make it with the standard extensions!

All the best,
    Rui

Frequent Visitor
    I'm in the same boat here... looking to have the pmup located in the basement in a tank of RO to pump upstairs into the DT sump for ATO. Total run length is about 30 feet. Is there anything direct from Neptune that would work for this? Or do I have to DIY with a relay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by isomorphic85 View Post
    I'm in the same boat here... looking to have the pmup located in the basement in a tank of RO to pump upstairs into the DT sump for ATO. Total run length is about 30 feet. Is there anything direct from Neptune that would work for this? Or do I have to DIY with a relay etc.
    Are you using a FMM? If so, you can move the module closer to the pump.

If not, voltage drop can be very easily mitigated using thicker gauge wire. You could crimp in a larger gauge wire and get away with much further distances than the published reccomendations.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Totally different issue, but is a pmup actually capable of pushing water against that kind of pressure head and distance? If so, I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Totally different issue, but is a pmup actually capable of pushing water against that kind of pressure head and distance? If so, I'm impressed.
    It has 14' max head height. Assuming most of that is length and not more than 8-10 ft of height it would give a slow trickle.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Were you able to extend the cable length to the pmup with a DIY larger cable?

Could you configure this scenario using a second FMM near the RO reservoir, where the 2 sensors are connected to one FMM and the PMUP is connected to another?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Are you using a FMM? If so, you can move the module closer to the pump.

If not, voltage drop can be very easily mitigated using thicker gauge wire. You could crimp in a larger gauge wire and get away with much further distances than the published reccomendations.
    This was my first thought. Are there any published guidelines for wire gauge/run lengths? Based on the specs, the pump has a max draw of about 830mA, so you could calculate the voltage drop for a given wire, but I'm not sure how much of a voltage drop the pump will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It has 14' max head height. Assuming most of that is length and not more than 8-10 ft of height it would give a slow trickle.
    It's really like calculating head loss with a return pump. It has to do with vertical rise as well as the diameter of the tubing, the length of the run and the velocity of the flow. You could upsize the tubing to reduce the resistance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willper View Post
    Could you configure this scenario using a second FMM near the RO reservoir, where the 2 sensors are connected to one FMM and the PMUP is connected to another?
    Yes, you could have a second FMM module at the RO reservoir and connect it with an aquabus (USB) cable. You would of course need to have the remote FMM plugged in to the AC power to run the pump.

Frequent Visitor

Atk pmup

Russ,
    If I already have a FMM and have 2 open ports. Could I use the new one provided with the ATK V2 setup at the basement level where my RO tank is located. Does the PMUP plug into the FMM for power also?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpage101 View Post
    Russ,
    If I already have a FMM and have 2 open ports. Could I use the new one provided with the ATK V2 setup at the basement level where my RO tank is located. Does the PMUP plug into the FMM for power also?

Thanks!
    Yes, you can split the functionality of the ATK across 2 different FMM modules connected by a longer AquaBus cable. I have one FMM in my sump where the optical sensors are connected, and a 2nd FMM in my garage where my mixing station and RO/DI storage tank has the PMUP connected.

You can simply run the ATK setup task, then copy the program code it creates from one FMM to the 24v output of the other FMM where the PMUP is connected.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.32.21 PM.png

Frequent Visitor
    BTW ...

I have tried and with the PMUP and 2 extension cords it still works ... to at least 8m lenght.
    With the new PMUP v2. Haven't tried with the PMUP v1

All the best,
    Rui

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for this diagram and answer, you are the man!

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    BTW ...

I have tried and with the PMUP and 2 extension cords it still works ... to at least 8m lenght.
    With the new PMUP v2. Haven't tried with the PMUP v1

All the best,
    Rui
    I’m using 2 extension. It works on pmup v2.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    Yes, you can split the functionality of the ATK across 2 different FMM modules connected by a longer AquaBus cable. I have one FMM in my sump where the optical sensors are connected, and a 2nd FMM in my garage where my mixing station and RO/DI storage tank has the PMUP connected.

You can simply run the ATK setup task, then copy the program code it creates from one FMM to the 24v output of the other FMM where the PMUP is connected.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.32.21 PM.png
    This is the answer I have been looking for a long time, thanks a lot.
    Here's a question, I have two AquaBus cables (15' and 6'), in order to get 18' I'm thinking of cutting the cables and connecting them together, question is, will it work that way?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaz View Post
    This is the answer I have been looking for a long time, thanks a lot.
    Here's a question, I have two AquaBus cables (15' and 6'), in order to get 18' I'm thinking of cutting the cables and connecting them together, question is, will it work that way?
    I would just buy the extension cable. If you cause a short you could trash your apex brain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpage101 View Post
    I would just buy the extension cable. If you cause a short you could trash your apex brain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the reply. Instead of extending AquaBus cable, I extended PMUP power cord and it works. Now my pump is pulling water all the way from about 20 feet.