Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB832 not reporting Amps or Watts at times and undervoltage

New User

EB832 not reporting Amps or Watts at times and undervoltage

I've got a new eb832 and have 2-200 watt heaters on separate outlets. Sometimes the EB832 doesn't report one of the heaters being on even though it clearly is. It doesn't show on eb832 status in fusion and alarm is generated via email. I don't use the auto settings for alarm generation. I've tried watts and amps.

Also the unit showed an under voltage error the other day and I had to power down everything, delete the module, then update firmware to get it working again. I upgraded all module firmware before.

Do I have a defective module?

Thanks

New User
    Nobody has seen this? Neptune Systems? I have no problem calling in but figured I'd go this route first in case it was a known issue and others could benefit from my experience.

I turned up the temp on the heater to make sure it was high enough to be on at the apex setpoint. It is always on when commanded on by apex. I also moved the heater to a different plug. Same condition. The EB832 shows status on, the heater light is on, and there is zero current draw shown from two outlets so far.

I've had no further issues with the under voltage condition.

New User
    I've contacted support over this. Problem persists.

EB832 not reporting Amps or Watts at times and undervoltage

Support gave me instructions on telnet(ing) into my EB832 and resetting the amps and wattage to zero. It worked and my EB832 reads correctly now.

Per Support (for my issue):

It sounds like the current monitor is out of calibration. To correct this problem you will need to telnet to your controller. To use telnet, if you are using a Mac, you would click on the Spotlight Icon (Magnifying Glass) on the top right and type in terminal, if you are using a PC, you would click on the Start Menu, then type in cmd in the search text box and copy/paste pkgmgr /iu:"TelnetClient" .

Your next step would be to turn off all devices, and after you have either opened up Terminal or Command Prompt, you would type in telnet . For example telnet 192.168.1.50

Now to calibrate the current monitor:

1. Identify the AquaBus number of the EB832, EB8, or EB4 that you want to calibrate. If your Energy Bar is numbered EB832_3 then the Aquabus number is 3.
    2. Unplug everything from the Energy Bar or at least make 100% certain it's all turned off (Even the 24V outlets on the EB832). This is critical. Whatever amperage the Energy Bar is pulling when the calibration is running as this becomes the new zero point. You want to make sure it's pulling 0.
    3. Telnet into the controller and login with your user id and password for the Apex (Not Fusion).
    4. Issue the following command: eb8zero n where "n" is the Aquabus address number of the Energy Bar that you want to calibrate. If you‟re calibrating an EB832 or EB4, the command is still "eb8zero". So using the above example of an Energy Bar that is known as "EB832_3‟ the command would be "eb8zero 3‟. This command is case sensitive and should be entered in lower case as is shown. It executes immediately and there's no confirmation or message when finished, just a new telnet prompt. Issue this command a couple of times.
    5.Close the telnet window. That‟s it. Your Energy Bar should now read the proper amperage load when devices are active.

Contact Support for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    I realize this is an old post but just so everyone know this did fix my problem and i just got this brand new apex 2 weeks ago so the problem does still exist. This does work. I just got the Apex controller a few weeks ago and one of my outlets was not showing that the device plugged in was drawing any watts. Thanks for this!

New User
    I know this is old but I am have same problem. Got the same information on what to do from Support. How did you connect your computer to the Apex? I’m sure it’s a stupid question but I am not a computer savvy person and I am completely lost

New User

Thanks

Thanks for this. Brand new eb832 wasn't reading anything. Updated software to no avail. Found and did this and it worked.

New User
    How do you determine what IP address to use with Telnet?

New User
    Your apex ip address can be found in fusion under the network setup tab.

New User
    Got it, thanks!

Regular Vistor
    I’m using your post to try and calibrate my eb832, it was a replacement unit from Neptune. Ever since I received it and hooked it up to my Apex 2016 it has not displayed “watts or amps” just the “volts” are displaying. I’m at the Microsoft Telnet black command screen can you tell me what exactly I need to type at the blinking cursor?

Thank you

Regular Vistor
    Thanks to @SuncrestReef for your help.

New User

Working?

How did you manage to get this to work?

New User
    My new apex is doing this I only shows volts of the energy bar, how do I do this I have no idea what I’m doing, I have a computer but would like to do it on my phone if possible

New User
    I just went through this 10 minutes ago. You are not going to be able to TELNET in from your phone easily. Maybe someone has a telnet app, but it would be easier to use your computer. The instructions provided by ReefFish back in 2017 are spot on. They worked for me just today on this problem that is apparently still not fixed 4 years running. I can try to help you if you run into trouble, but fire up the computer and try ReefFish's instructions. You have to be on the same network as your apex and you need to know the IP address of your Apex. If you don't know your IP address, you can find it in Apex Fusion under: Settings -> Network -> IP Address

New User

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
    I just went through this 10 minutes ago. You are not going to be able to TELNET in from your phone easily. Maybe someone has a telnet app, but it would be easier to use your computer. The instructions provided by ReefFish back in 2017 are spot on. They worked for me just today on this problem that is apparently still not fixed 4 years running. I can try to help you if you run into trouble, but fire up the computer and try ReefFish's instructions. You have to be on the same network as your apex and you need to know the IP address of your Apex. If you don't know your IP address, you can find it in Apex Fusion under: Settings -> Network -> IP Address
    Thank you I appreciate your help, I couldn’t figure it out on my
    Phone last night so I just got on my laptop and it took me a few minutes
    To figure it out because the line of code given had periods and spaces where they shouldn’t have had any, but I did get it figured out and it did fix my problem, I don’t understand why we have to use “telnet” to fix a problem that shouldn’t even exist in the first place, if it wasn’t for this post I would have been sending my apex back, I couldn’t find anything on how to do it on a phone so I do not think it is possible at this time unfortunately, maybe if Neptune can’t fix the issue at the very least they can create a app so it’s easier for us to fix since they can’t seem to figure out the problem.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
    You can download ITerminal from the App Store to run Telnet.

New User
    hello it was mentioned that we need to unplug everything. Would this include any probes / usb's we have plugged in as well?

NSI Member
    You just need to unplug any power cords plugged into the EB

Regular Vistor
    I had to do this also for a new EB832. Some of the outlets recorded, but 6 of them were not. I turned off all the outlets in the EB832 in question, no 24v ports were being used, and I left any aquabus cables connected. Telenet into the APEX and reset the EB832 per these instructions.

Success!

New User
    Update and caution point for anyone doing this from a non-english computer and MAC.
    Mac doesnt have Telnet installed anymore, so you have to install Homebrew via terminal and install telnet.
    Installed and seemed to work, but after doing telnet and connecting to Apex, anything I wrote became duplicated (a -> aa).
    Have no IT skill but googling found it could be because I live in Asia (character issue) or because my laptop has different keyboard language packages. Couldnt solve it.
    Anyway, ended up trying on my iphone via app Telnet Lite and it worked!
    Just configue IP and connect. It looks super scary but is only that.
    *You can find Apex IP in fusion, under network (wifi icon). Have to press gearbox icon to find it first.
    *Remember its the Apex login (admin/1234) not your fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Tonbo View Post
    Update and caution point for anyone doing this from a non-english computer and MAC.
    Mac doesnt have Telnet installed anymore, so you have to install Homebrew via terminal and install telnet.
    This is not necessary. Yes, telnet is no longer present in MacOS, but you need not jump through such hoops. MacOS has an alternative to telnet built in.

The command is 'nc' Open a Terminal window, then issue the command:

nc -c apex-name-or-ipaddress 23

Examples:

nc -c apex.local 23
    nc -c 120Reef.local 23
    nc -c 192.168.1.50 23
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is not necessary. Yes, telnet is no longer present in MacOS, but you need not jump through such hoops. MacOS has an alternative to telnet built in.

Examples:

nc -c apex.local 23
    nc -c 120Reef.local 23
    nc -c 192.168.1.50 23
    Yep, just tried it and it worked.

So guys, you can do it his way, cold and surgically precise...
    Or you can do my way! A patented 4 step work-around that I developed with love and care for 4 hours on a Saturday morning, that I could have been resting instead if I knew better.

The choice is yours

New User

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post

Examples:

nc -c apex.local 23
    nc -c 120Reef.local 23
    nc -c 192.168.1.50 23
    I followed the above steps and used the nc -c apex.local 23 to login into my unit and perform the listed steps. All seemed to go as stated but the EB832 still returned the error. Please see the screen shot from my Tele-net expierence
    Attached Images Attached Images

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoth View Post
    I followed the above steps and used the nc -c apex.local 23 to login into my unit and perform the listed steps. All seemed to go as stated but the EB832 still returned the error. Please see the screen shot from my Tele-net expierence
    anyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast