Thread: Maxspect Gyre 2nd Gen Pump/Icecap Gyre Int. Mod.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar

Maxspect Gyre 2nd Gen Pump/Icecap Gyre Int. Mod.

Hoping someone has the ability to confirm this, but it appears that the Icecap Interface Module has been updated to work with the second generation of Gyre pumps based on this pricing table I found on Coralvue's website. They advertise "Apex Ready" but I have found conflicting info for the newer generation Gyre pumps. Can anyone confirm that the interface module for the xf150 will work with the xf250 and the Apex?

Capture.PNG
    Chad

Ok, so my question was answered by Carlos at Coralvue. The IceCap module is compatible with the new/second generation pumps as well and the Apex.
    Chad

New User
    Have you installed everything and is is working correctly?? I too have been trying to get this answered and more often then not met with blank stairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup the icecap interface will control the new gen pumps with the apex just fine. I have been running mine for about a month or so with no hiccups.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Iamchadster if I wanted to connect to apex can I get away with pump only and icecap? Use apex as a controller?

Quote Originally Posted by madstyle1 View Post
    Iamchadster if I wanted to connect to apex can I get away with pump only and icecap? Use apex as a controller?
    Yes the apex replaces the gyre controller and the apex now becomes the controller. The icecap is the interface between apex and gyre
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Awesome that would save me money.

Regular Vistor
    Wouldn't you still need the power supply to go from the outlet to the IceCap Interface Module?

Yes, the power supply from the Gyre goes to the Icecap module. There is another cable that connects then to the Gyre pump from the module. There a 3rd, smaller wire that travels from the Icecap module and plugs into one of the VDM ports on the apex.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Yes, the power supply from the Gyre goes to the Icecap module. There is another cable that connects then to the Gyre pump from the module. There a 3rd, smaller wire that travels from the Icecap module and plugs into one of the VDM ports on the apex.
    Right, I get the wires & what they are @ for. I was just asking to make sure that you'd still need the power cord assembly for power still. I'm assuming you would need everything that the whole package would come with except for the control or unit, which would be replaced by the IceCap Interface Module.

That is correct, you eliminate the module and let the apex determine the programming. I will tell you that the controller for the gyre isn't too bad. I go back and forth between the two.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Just curious. I recently picked up a Gyre X150 with IceCap Interface on reef2reef. I absolutely love it. I programmed it last night and am using it on my 80 gallon frag system. I'm looking at getting another one for my 270 gallon display tank now (to be added to my MP40's and replace my Jecod PP-15 that I'm using in there (In conjunction with my MP40's that are also in there).

I have WAV's, 4 Gyre XF250's, 2 MP40's. I don't use all of them but alternate between them and like things and dislike things about each of them. I guess I'm a bit of an equipment junky lol.

MP's-quiet and small footprint, but can fall off and have more directional flow
    WAV's-interface with Apex can't be beat, but a little bulkier and a cord in the tank
    Gyre-Not as random flow IMO, but I like the small footprint with just one pump and the laminar flow for air/water interface. The apex interface with the icecap is a PITA for programming in my opinion compared to all the modes and options of the prev 2 pumps.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    I have WAV's, 4 Gyre XF250's, 2 MP40's. I don't use all of them but alternate between them and like things and dislike things about each of them. I guess I'm a bit of an equipment junky lol.

MP's-quiet and small footprint, but can fall off and have more directional flow
    WAV's-interface with Apex can't be beat, but a little bulkier and a cord in the tank
    Gyre-Not as random flow IMO, but I like the small footprint with just one pump and the laminar flow for air/water interface. The apex interface with the icecap is a PITA for programming in my opinion compared to all the modes and options of the prev 2 pumps.
    Would love to try the WAV's, but I'm not where I can keep dropping $$$$$ like I use to since having a kid. I got the Gyre X150 with basic controller with all extra spare components along with the IceCap Interface for $150 shipped. Not to mention it was lightly used and mfg date was just a few months prior to the new ones being released.

Any ways back on topic.......lol