Thread: Apex 2016 UK version

New User

Apex 2016 UK version

Hi,
    I'm from Malaysia and we use the UK 240v plug, i'm aware the Neptune doesn't have the new Energy Bar for UK version plugs.

So my question is can the Apex Neptune 2016 base unit to work without the Energy bar.

Can i have the base unit connect to a 12V DC power supply using the Aux port, then use the base unit to monitor my PH, Temp, Salinity and have this connected to the internet.

Thanks

In theory, yes. But the Apex 2016 is only sold in a kit including an EnergyBar. It is not sold separately at this time. You would need to get the U.K. package which includes the Apex and an EnergyBar 6
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    The link below show neptune apex 2016 base unit is sold separately. Just that it doesn't come with all the probes.
    https://www.neptunestore.eu/en/neptu...base-unit.html

My worry is if i purchase the U.K. package which includes the Apex and an EnergyBar 6, couple of month or a year down the road when neptune might release the UK version of the new energy bar.

Frequent Visitor
    I asked in the same store and they commented the new bar is expected by the end of the 2017.
    so yes, the new bar is coming but you will have to wait months.
    in my particular case, i bought several months ago the new apex 2016 and a step down transformer (c. 45 $). Everything works as expected

Regular Vistor
    I am waiting delivery of the Apex 2016 with 6 bar for the UK. The new energy bar in the US has Pre configured power points for lights, skimmer, heater etc. my question is does the existing UK 6 bar have pre configured plug settings too or do they have to be individually set up. Regards.

New User
    @dcb568 The Apex 2016 UK has preconfigured settings for Lights, Pump, Heater etc for the 6x Power Points. You can then re-purpose for your needs.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by irayfuego View Post
    I asked in the same store and they commented the new bar is expected by the end of the 2017.
    so yes, the new bar is coming but you will have to wait months.
    in my particular case, i bought several months ago the new apex 2016 and a step down transformer (c. 45 $). Everything works as expected
    Can you elaborate on this?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    Can you elaborate on this?
    Well, I asked Tim (sales rep of neptunestore.eu) and he said " The new bar will take at least one year from now and is expected at the end of 2017 " .
    That was November/December 2016. Maybe the dates have changed slightly.
    So I decided to get the new APEX 2016 and save 1 year, until the new EU bar was available, and money (much cheaper compared to the european version old/classic version).
    Then, I bought an APEX 2016 in black friday in US (110 v version). I bought it in a US online retailer. however you may find retailers that ship products internationally (p&p c.50-100 $ or even amazon.com).
    All I needed it was a step-down converter to transform the 220v down to 110v and connect the energy bar. I bought this one: (c. 40$)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockstone-P.../dp/B01337AZV0
    I did not need it to be very poweful since the heater is the only demanding device and it is connected through an external relay (ac 110v) to a 220v socket. Rest of compoments are connected to the EB and are consuming around 50 watts (avg.).
    I have owned the Apex for the latest 2 months and I works perfect so far.

Hope it helps.

Frequent Visitor
    So if I understand correctly with a bigger one of 2000W you could plug the heaters. Is that correct?

Regular Vistor
    Can I ask, is it right to assume the new power bar will be backward compatible and the (now) UK power bar can be daisy chained to the new 2016 power bar when available in the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    So if I understand correctly with a bigger one of 2000W you could plug the heaters. Is that correct?
    Yes. You need to bear in mind two things:
    1) The step-down is recommended to be operated at 50% of its max/peak power. The max power of EB832 is c.1800 Watts.
    2) Your heaters need to be US version if you want to plug them directly to the 110v output. International heaters are designed to work with 220v power sources, so if you plug them to the 110v, they would be underperforming. In my case, I have 220v version, so I switch them through a relay (110v AC)

Hope it helps.

Regular Vistor
    Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New User
    I also was wondering if and when a EU version of the new power bar would be available, but couldn't find any reliable information about it, so I've sent a mail to [email protected]

The replay I got was: "Neptune Systems has not publicly commented if we will make an enhanced 240V power bar at this time."

​which for me could means that they either have something in development, but not ready to communicate about, or that they have nothing and aren't even thinking about it.

Regular Vistor

Talking

Hi. I am from Malaysia and would like to ask how is your apex neptune running under a transformer? Any problem so far? I am thinking to do the same setup as yours. Using a stepdown transformer to convert 240v to 110v so i can use the usa version. Hope to seek some advice from you

Quote Originally Posted by irayfuego View Post
    Well, I asked Tim (sales rep of neptunestore.eu) and he said " The new bar will take at least one year from now and is expected at the end of 2017 " .
    That was November/December 2016. Maybe the dates have changed slightly.
    So I decided to get the new APEX 2016 and save 1 year, until the new EU bar was available, and money (much cheaper compared to the european version old/classic version).
    Then, I bought an APEX 2016 in black friday in US (110 v version). I bought it in a US online retailer. however you may find retailers that ship products internationally (p&p c.50-100 $ or even amazon.com).
    All I needed it was a step-down converter to transform the 220v down to 110v and connect the energy bar. I bought this one: (c. 40$)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockstone-P.../dp/B01337AZV0
    I did not need it to be very poweful since the heater is the only demanding device and it is connected through an external relay (ac 110v) to a 220v socket. Rest of compoments are connected to the EB and are consuming around 50 watts (avg.).
    I have owned the Apex for the latest 2 months and I works perfect so far.

Hope it helps.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi,
    it is working great so far. No problems at all

Frequent Visitor
    Hi all,
    I am an American living in Bangkok ..so have the same 110 vs 220 v issues.

Has there been any news on the UK 220 version of the power bar ?
    Last post of status was 4 or 5 months back i believe.
    Thankou all I look forward to participating on the forum.
    I will visit the " Coffee Shop " and am hoppy to exchange tall tales ;-)

Frequent Visitor
    I live in Dubai. If I had to start again I would NOT go with the UK 240V. I would have saved a fortune and endless hassle using the high performance step down transformer I already owned powering a US 110VAC Neptune Apex 2016 with its new US Powerbar. Even with shipping factored in it would have been cheaper and definetely easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is good reason to have both. What I would recommend to people is that they get an apex 2016 with a high quality step down and get a classic EB6. Gives you the flexibility to use American products, local products, and all the neat new Neptune stuff without a 1link module

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanls !!
    Thats what i decided to do..
    And Just " pulled the trigger " on an
    Apex 2016 system as well as a
    ' Boat Load ' of accessories ..US models so 110v.
    Thailand...where I reside.. is 220v..
    But Transformes are easy enough..
    And a high energy demand Heater
    .is Not required in this tropical Clime...
    A Chiller ..yes .

So i reasoned getting the most advanced US Model was the way to go...for now...and enjoy it .
    I can always Add a 220 v Power bar if / when Neptune decides to make one available....
    Or Not..

My system will mainly control
    D/C pumps and they accept 110 thru 240 v. Multi voltages..like a normal " Phone Charger " ..
    At this time ai am not cocerned about controling the lighting...maybe later ? Who knows...

A Question ... open for anyone to answere ....
    Is the Apex Base unit itself ( the Brains ) ..Voltage Reliant ?
    Would it work on 110 v or 220 v.?
    Not speaking about the Power Bar....But the main Basen unit...
    Thanks guys..
    I am SURE i will be back with so many Newbie Questions...
    At the moment pacing the floor waiting for international post to deliver !!! Lol

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Hi, the Apex Base unit can be plugged to an external power adaptor (12v).
    Power adaptors usually work in the range 110-240V. That is the way i have it connected.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    There is good reason to have both. What I would recommend to people is that they get an apex 2016 with a high quality step down and get a classic EB6. Gives you the flexibility to use American products, local products, and all the neat new Neptune stuff without a 1link module

Can you propose a high quality step down?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin6600 View Post
    Thanls !!
    Thats what i decided to do..
    And Just " pulled the trigger " on an
    Apex 2016 system as well as a
    ' Boat Load ' of accessories ..US models so 110v.
    Thailand...where I reside.. is 220v..
    But Transformes are easy enough..
    And a high energy demand Heater
    .is Not required in this tropical Clime...
    A Chiller ..yes .

So i reasoned getting the most advanced US Model was the way to go...for now...and enjoy it .
    I can always Add a 220 v Power bar if / when Neptune decides to make one available....
    Or Not..

My system will mainly control
    D/C pumps and they accept 110 thru 240 v. Multi voltages..like a normal " Phone Charger " ..
    At this time ai am not cocerned about controling the lighting...maybe later ? Who knows...

A Question ... open for anyone to answere ....
    Is the Apex Base unit itself ( the Brains ) ..Voltage Reliant ?
    Would it work on 110 v or 220 v.?
    Not speaking about the Power Bar....But the main Basen unit...
    Thanks guys..
    I am SURE i will be back with so many Newbie Questions...
    At the moment pacing the floor waiting for international post to deliver !!! Lol

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk
    If you decide not to plug it it will be powered by the aquabus cable (at least the classical version)

Not sure what is easily available in your country. It would need to meet these specs to allow use of American devices on an EB832 on 220 power

(If your country uses 50Hz)
    Variable frequency inverter
    Input 240V 50Hz
    Output 120V 60Hz Nema 5-15R
    Rating 800-1600W

(If your country uses 60Hz)
    Step down transformer
    Input 240V 60Hz
    Output 120V 60Hz Nema 5-15R
    Rating 1000-2000VA