Thread: Tunze Powerhead Models

Tunze Powerhead Models

Could someone please tell me some Tunze powerhead model numbers that can be used with the Apex cable and controller? I an looking to purchase a Tunze powerhead without their controller if possible that is Apex controllable? i am looking to place two in a 75 gal FOWLR. I reciently had a Korillia leak voltage and it killed some fish. I did not have my ground rod hooked up to the gfi at the time. I am now looking to keep the 120vac out of the water.
    Thank You

Tunze Powerhead Models

Any Tunze pump which is listed as an electronic controllable model can be controlled by the Apex.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks Russ. The way it seems though is that they all com with a Tunze controller that i won't use. I can't get in touch with Tunze to see if i can by an electronic controllable model without their controller.

The newest models come with the attached control unit. The Apex/Stream cable plugs into that control unit.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

That control unit doubles the price. I hate to pay for that controller if it is not needed.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedeiros2 View Post
    That control unit doubles the price. I hate to pay for that controller if it is not needed.
    They need to be DC to be controllable, this does double the price. I run two tunze 6040's in my tank.

Your 6040's had to be purchased with a controller, correct?

Yes any of the Tunze pumps can be set up to your Apex! You just need to buy the 2 channel Apex to Tunze stream cable and you will be all set! Ones you get that cable you just plus that I. Directly in to the V1/V2 port and you should be good to go! I have a pair of Tunze Nanostreams 6055's for my 120 one pump on each side! How big is your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 gal. I know how to hook them up. My problem is paying big $ for Tunze controllers when i dont need them.

Then just buy one 6055 and it comes with the controller and it's worth every penny since I own 2 of them.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-...trollable.html

For most i am sure it is worth it. I just have fowlr and it is not worth the money for me. My main concern is having less 120 vac in the tank by going with 12 vdc powerheads. One of my korillias killed four fish because i did not have my ground rod attached to my gfi receptical

Care to share a pix of your set up on what's running your tank?

What do you need to know?

Wanted to see your set up mate , no more than that!

Sorry. I am not setup to attach pics at this time.

All good!! Well, hope everything works out for ya mate!! All the best,
    FLSharkvictim

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mmedeiros2 View Post
    75 gal. I know how to hook them up. My problem is paying big $ for Tunze controllers when i dont need them.
    the apex will only send 0-10volt signal to any pump. You can not run a pump with this, it is an input signal that is following a program you install in your apex. A dc pump needs a controller to take that input and do something with it. The only pumps with no controller are ac or the module or controller is sold separately

I understand. The old pumps had the esc or speed control attached to the pump wire. You could use the pump with apex and not have to use the tunze controller. Now they are forcing us to buy there controller
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112251946317

Sorry, I dont think this will work! Just a little heads up from my experience, I would never buy a second-hand pump or any type saltwater gear off ebay to save a few bucks.. If you don't have all the loot, save up and buy a brand new one..

Money is not the problem. I can not see buying something that i don't need. The older heads will work without the tunze controller. Watch this video.
    https://youtu.be/hVdunU-b29A

Regular Vistor
    unfortunately the older tunze turbelle models were around the same prices as the newer models with the included controllers .same pumps same models only now they have added the controller.i think 2x (6095) would work well with your system . the neptune WAV pumps would have much greater control-ability & still remove the hi V. you may also be able to get away with one WAV in your setup .& yes the one on ebay you hi-lited would work & you could probably get away with one of those & ether make or perches the interface cable

First of all, all of the controllable Tunze powerheads are DC and they all include a controller attached to the cord that can be removed but only to route cords. These new controllers did not increase the price. The Tunze-to-Apex cable plugs into the Tunze controller and bypasses Tunze controlling. Having the Tunze controller around is a good idea in case something goes haywire with your Apex, you will still be able to control your powerhead.

Regular Vistor
    You can ask for the specific model that have this control only. It's cheaper.
    I'm using the 6045 with this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Control Freak In Training
    To the op if you find a way please let us know. I'm getting ready to buy a couple and am all for a cheaper way if it ends up solid.