Thread: Adding second apex to network questions/advice

Regular Vistor

Adding second apex to network questions/advice

Hello,

I am adding a second apex for a separate system real soon its the older model, same as my existing one and I'll admit its been a while since a crash coursed installing and configuring The first one. Pretty foggy on all those fine details lol. Starting go go back over all the installation instructions and before i plugged this thing in officially I just wanted to ask if there's anything I may need to do differently, or any advice before i went ahead.

Ultimately my current apex is working perfectly, and i do not want to screw anything up with that one in the process of setting up the second unit. . Always a little; paranoid about these sorts of things lol

Thanks in advance!

Each Apex on the same network must have a unique hostname and unique IP address.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Each Apex on the same network must have a unique hostname and unique IP address.

Ok very cool I really appreciate the response. So just to be sure I understand. I'd accomplish that In the router when i am doing the port forwarding stuff. Or in the network settings for the apex itself., I guess I'm not 100% sure on when, and at what point do I actually do that either.

Would i plug the apex in, let the dhcp assign an IP then go in, disable that and make it a static one?

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the messy question lol Dusting off them cobwebs a little here

If you really must do port forwarding, yes - disable DHCP and use a static IP address. But the preferred way of accessing your Apex remotely is by using APEX Fusion, which is much simpler - no port forwarding is required.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thats a relief for sure. I honestly didn't know any better lol, but If i don't have to do all that stuff again I am happy about that . So ultimately there's no real need to disable the dhcp then? Just plug in the new apex, and rename it it something like "apex2" in the network setting menu. Is there any advantage to giving it a static address at all then?

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtbm View Post
    Thats a relief for sure. I honestly didn't know any better lol, but If i don't have to do all that stuff again I am happy about that . So ultimately there's no real need to disable the dhcp then? Just plug in the new apex, and rename it it something like "apex2" in the network setting menu. Is there any advantage to giving it a static address at all then?
    Yes; it will always use the same IP address - hence it more convenient when trying to login via the Classic Dashboard. This is especially important if you lose network connectivity for any reason or another.

DHCP is best for dynamic devices like phones, tablets, etc.