Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has had their's for over a year?

New User
    I had one that fail 2 day before warranty ran out

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolf8 View Post
    I had one that fail 2 day before warranty ran out
    I would contact Support by creating a support ticket.
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

I am sure they wont hold two days out of warranty against you.
    Jon

Regular Vistor
    20 months old also 1 down - never run over 40%

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    As far as the percentages go, true failures for this product are not yet a concern.

The thing that happens with the WAV, like many high performance DC motor pumps, is that they can require service more often. This is especially the case with a powerhead. The vast majority or issues we have seen with the WAV have been either user-caused or because of failure to maintain. You should see some of the pumps that come back in to us.

That said, of course there are some customers who have had a failure and who maintained their pumps and kept them pristine.

End result though is that we are taking care of the customers who have problems.
    Terence - might also be worth looking at the 1Link assemblies...Where the board is supposed to locate itself so it cannot be pushed further inside the housing when plugging in - that to me don't seem to be manufactured right - with the board against/in the slot where it should be on mine it seems the socket panel can't go on so i'm guessing they have siliconed the boards on to get around this.......when the silicone lets go as it has with mine the board can fall quite a long way back......a symptom of this is all the plugs don't seat properly & can connect but not lock & will sometimes disconnect.
    Anybody else have wav plugs that don't seem to lock in properly? - thats a possible reason

Regular Vistor
    Does neltune have a maintenance guide for the wav? The getting started info section refers to a maintenance guide but I’ve never been able to find it. If you’re seeing pumps come back with user maintenance issues it might be worthwhile to publish a recommendation of how to clean them and how frequently.

Frequent Visitor
    I feel jinxed by this board.... couple weeks past 1 year and my WAV unit just failed today.

Frequent Visitor
    It's supppsed to heat up a bit and you can tell from that it needs cleaning.

So far i haven't observed that feature work.

The heat percentage on mine stays the same and never changes.

I run mine at 20% set to pulse and only intermittently.

One failed at 2 years and i replaced, the other is still running.

If they last 3 years thats $66 a year per pump which i can deal with.

If they don't routinely last 3 years or more then i might buy them only when they are on sale or switch to a different brand.

My Jaebos are much cheaper and are now breaking into 3 year territory.

My Vortech will have to last 5 years to compete, although a Westside at $75 isn't a big deal (about what a jaebo costs) to replace a little more frequently.

The WAV does have the benifit of saving an outlet and not using a VDM, if you already own a 1link that is.

The flow from the wav is too narrow and forceful to be of great use for lps, no matter what setting i turn it to it does to lps what a maxijet does...upsets them.

They make for good intermittent surg pumps though.

Neptune needs to make both a smaller version and one with a wider-slower flow head.

As it stands on flow, vortech wins.

As for the value proposition...

Time will tell.

At $179 (%10 off you can Sometimes buy them for) they compete better.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
    The flow from the wav is too narrow and forceful to be of great use for lps, no matter what setting i turn it to it does to lps what a maxijet does...upsets them.
    I have my 2 Wavs mounted on the rear wall of my 90 gal mixed reef. I have them positioned in a way that the majority of the stream hits the front wall (not the corals) and bounces off the front glass. This eases the force of the flow and disperses the flow across the tank making everybody including Sammy and Tammy (Squamosa clams) happy.

New User
    I'm glad I came across this thread.

I wanted to buy 2 of the wave pumps so I can save some outlets on my EB8 but for now I'm sticking to my MP60s. Some of my Ecotech MP pumps are 3 yrs old without any issues.

Almost a year and a half with no problems. I probably clean them about every 6 mos.... and cleaning them now...

Frequent Visitor
    rr-man, You have your MP60s pluged to EB8 why?

Frequent Visitor
    First loss this week after about 18 months.
    Had both WAVs off and a blinking power brick led.
    Unplugged the defective pump and the brick went back to solid green, working pump started right up.
    I had a spare pump which I quickly put in and configured.
    The defective pump is internaly shorted so un salvageable. I did remove and keep the impeller assembly though.
    Considering the $$ of a WAV pump, 18 months doesn't cut it for me. I've had MP40's running for over 5 years in the same tank under the same conditions.

New User
    The longevity of these pumps are questionable. I have 4 WAVs in my 350 gallon tank. (1) died just past the year mark and Neptune replaced it. Three months after that another one died and Neptune replaced that one. Now 3 more months have passed and my 3rd pump just died. This is unacceptable. Under 2 years and 3 pumps have died. I guess in 3 more months my 4th pump will die. My frag tank has my 15 yr old Tunze 6100 with the hockey pucks transformers that are still going strong. Neptune's customer service is pretty good and have taken care of me but it takes a couple of weeks to get the replacement pump. You first go the their troubleshooting list that they want you to do, then send them the pump, they diagnose the pump that it can't be fixed and than send you a new pump. So have a spare pump. I'll be contacting them again for this 3rd pump dying today. Neptune really needs to find out why these pump don't last and why when one pump dies it shuts the other running pump off all while your Apex Fusion states they are running and operating normal.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamn1999 View Post
    The longevity of these pumps are questionable.
    Definitely! I had six WAVs spread between two tanks. I lost two of the four in my 260. Luckily, four in that tank and two in the 90 was overkill, so now I'm running one in the 90 and three in the 260. I'm starting to look at picking up a couple MP60s.

Regular Vistor
    My pump died last week also. Unfortunately in my case Neptune told me I was out of luck as the pump is over 2 years from receipt date (but 1.5 years of use since I bought it during black Friday discount but didn't run right away). They did offer a discount if I wanted to replace it, but I am not spending a single penny on a product which I believe is faulty at design.Thanks for nothing Neptune Systems, won't trust your pumps for a long long time.

Did you buy yours online or from your LFS? I bought mine from my LFS and when my wavs have died (had 3 died so far, 2 out of warranty) my LFS took care of it for me.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    Did you buy yours online or from your LFS? I bought mine from my LFS and when my wavs have died (had 3 died so far, 2 out of warranty) my LFS took care of it for me.
    You have a nice LFS there. Mine were online unfortunately.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
    but I am not spending a single penny on a product which I believe is faulty at design.Thanks for nothing Neptune Systems, won't trust your pumps for a long long time.
    Agreed. I've now lost three out of six. I put a Marineland I had laying around into the 90g, until I can get an MP40 or Tunze put in there. I'm done with Neptune pumps.

Regular Vistor
    I wonder if Neptune has a remake of these power heads in mind? would be nice if they can come up with longer lasting pump. maybe add a maintenance notification in fusion at the suggested intervals?? I almost ponied up for a pair then went with jebos.

Regular Vistor
    Had mine for about 1.5 years, just looked up purchase on BRS website. Have only had running intank for a year. Both stopped, unplugged dead one and the other came back on. Planned obsolescence, designed to crap out after warranty is up. I clean with white vinegar because of build up. Also have a cheapo hydor that's been going strong with no maintenance for 6 or 7 years.

Frequent Visitor
    I brought the starter kit in March 2016, one stopped in Feb 2018, then the other day the clip (facing on right when plugging into EB832 that holds the 4-pin male in the socket) broke off, still fit but every time I plug it in the EB832, flashing orange light on the EB832, which causes a change reaction and whole system stops, but when I unplug it, system reboots, and all is well. I ordered a replacement received it yesterday all is fine for now?

New User
    It looks like all of these posts are from a little while back, I am looking to add 2 wav's to my 265g
    but want to know if there have been any design updates or if the pumps are still failing after 1-2 years?

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis1032 View Post
    It looks like all of these posts are from a little while back, I am looking to add 2 wav's to my 265g
    but want to know if there have been any design updates or if the pumps are still failing after 1-2 years?
    I had the 2 failures in 2017 of 1st release WAVs. The replacements have been running fine since then and have both passed the 2 year mark. I just added a 3rd too.

New User
    thank you, anybody else showing good results before I drop a few hundred on these?

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis1032 View Post
    thank you, anybody else showing good results before I drop a few hundred on these?
    My two WAV's will be 2 years next month. No problems here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123