Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has had their's for over a year?

New User

Who has had their's for over a year?

Mind failed just over the 1 year warranty and my option is to buy another one. umm dont think so.

New User
    I have had mine for just over a year now and one just died, not happy but not sure what I can do. Going to send a request to Neptune about it.

New User
    I logged a ticket. nothing to be done really but buy a new one.

Regular Vistor
    I have two for pretty much precisely a year now and one just failed. Interesting thing is that both pumps stopped. At first I thought it was a problem with the Link module, but after trying a few things I found that the failed one also disables the good one if both are plugged in.
    I would consider that a serious issue. A pump failing is something that can happen, but all pumps stopping because one goes bad is unacceptable.

New User
    Same issue here. I've had mine slightly over a year and both have stopped. These things cost wayyyy to much for this kind of experience.

Regular Vistor
    My second WAV kicked the bucket this afternoon. Both lasted roughly one year in the tank. Unfortunately I had bought the WAV starter kit a few months before I actually installed the pumps.

I won't get any new WAVs but rather replace them with Jebao's. Way better bang for the buck and more freedom in programming.

Had one of mine die shortly before the warranty expired. LFS where I bought the Wav starter kit handled the replacement for me.

NSI Member
    Got mine right when they released. I had one impeller shaft go bad. That was warentee replaced. Not much different than other pumps I've had. Otherwise they have run perfectly.

New User
    Got mine just after they were released (six altogether). I was cleaning the WAVs in my big tank today. Aside from breaking one impeller (and they cost $50 each to replace, plus they charge tax, plus $15.00 for shipping!), two wouldn't restart. Now I'm trying to get in touch with Neptune to cancel my order -- not much point buying an impeller for a pump that won't run anyway. I guess it's time to look for a replacement. This was an _expensive_ mistake.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by billbunton View Post
    Got mine just after they were released (six altogether). I was cleaning the WAVs in my big tank today. Aside from breaking one impeller (and they cost $50 each to replace, plus they charge tax, plus $15.00 for shipping!), two wouldn't restart.
    It appears I spoke too soon. An hour after plugging them all back in, the two that wouldn't start have gone ahead and started. I'm glad they're going again, but it doesn't give me a great feeling of confidence.

Frequent Visitor
    I have had my 4 since release. When I notice them not working very well, I clean then like any other pump and off they go again

Frequent Contributor
    In July I will have had my WAVs for 2 years and going strong.
    Jon

New User
    Well mine made a year and a half and now one is shutting down the entire system. I unplugged it and the others worked for a day and now not working again. Unfortunately I sold my 4 MP40's to get the WAV's that are obviously JUNK. What do you guys suggest replacing them with that have good programming and reliable?

New User
    got the starter kits with 2 WAV February 2016. One pump just died, I am getting a gyre instead when the 2nd WAV quits. Terrible product for $500.

My second Wav died the other day. When this one died it somehow made the 1Lnk shutdown the other Wav and 2 Pmups on the 1Lnk. When they work, they're great. Problem is they don't seem to last. Kind of sad for a $500 product!

Frequent Visitor
    Wow !
    This isn't too reassuring, was just thinking of dropping the 500$ to get a set for my reef to go along with the dual 250 gyres I've got.
    even more tossed after reading through the issues folks have experienced with these pumps.

no acknowledgement from the manufacturer that their product isn't lasting ?
    too much money for a product to poop out around one year of service.

Frequent Contributor
    As always, we examine returns for any common thread. None has yet to be found. This is not a common occurrence as many are running the WAV far past this time period. Those who had outright failures shortly after the warranty period have been provided replacements as far as I know. Including the OP of this thread.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    As always, we examine returns for any common thread. None has yet to be found. This is not a common occurrence as many are running the WAV far past this time period. Those who had outright failures shortly after the warranty period have been provided replacements as far as I know. Including the OP of this thread.
    Appreciate the feed back Terence amd the offering the bit on Neptune examining failed components as this is something that leads to a better product development or catching common issues.
    While I am new to the apex world and Neptune products in general I'm not unfamiliar with reviews on products related to our hobby so recognize that there are far more users with positive results than negative.
    what catches my attention is a common trend of right after a year of service a failure occurs, more so the seemingly end to the story of "buy another pump".
    I can see where some folks won't update a thread like this if the issue was handled by Neptune and made right by the consumer in some manner. Maybe they forgot or don't think it's important to add the other side of the story, I'm not sure and cannot answer for any of these post.

in no way was I bashing Neptune or the WAV, just mind boggled over not only threads here but other vendor sites with poor reviews. As with all of products available to our hobby there will be issues and those who have complaints about their experiences with said products. So no bones to be picked, I was more curious to find any information that would shed a better light into the longevity of the WAV and Neptunes history of standing behind the new products outside of just control and monitoring devices.
    Again thanks for your response

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    what catches my attention is a common trend of right after a year of service a failure occurs, more so the seemingly end to the story of "buy another pump".
    My dad used to refer to this as "planned obsolescence". His favorite example was cars that broke down a thousand miles (or a month) after the factory warranty expired. He always said manufacturers built it into stuff to insure there were always customers for their products.

I think it's important to remember that the majority of ppl who post are those who have problems or need support help so when you search you don't find the majority of ppl for any product that are satisfied and just have not had any issues. I have had my WAV's for a while replacing a pair of RW8's that I really only expected to last a year. They are running fine and I make sure that I clean and maintain them. I compared quite few pumps and I think they are the most powerful and feature comprehensive pumps out there. They are a bit bulky but again that's where the water flow power comes from. I'm very happy with them.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cypherljk View Post
    I think it's important to remember that the majority of ppl who post are those who have problems or need support help so when you search you don't find the majority of ppl for any product that are satisfied and just have not had any issues. I have had my WAV's for a while replacing a pair of RW8's that I really only expected to last a year. They are running fine and I make sure that I clean and maintain them. I compared quite few pumps and I think they are the most powerful and feature comprehensive pumps out there. They are a bit bulky but again that's where the water flow power comes from. I'm very happy with them.
    Thanks for your feed back as well and I agree with your point.

NSI Member
    One of mine just stopped, stall error. So I was going to take it apart to try cleaning it. Unfortunately since the impeller is so hard to remove I broke off one of the blades. I really hate how hard the impellers are to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    Appreciate the feed back Terence amd the offering the bit on Neptune examining failed components as this is something that leads to a better product development or catching common issues.
    While I am new to the apex world and Neptune products in general I'm not unfamiliar with reviews on products related to our hobby so recognize that there are far more users with positive results than negative.
    I can see where some folks won't update a thread like this if the issue was handled by Neptune and made right by the consumer in some manner. Maybe they forgot or don't think it's important to add the other side of the story, I'm not sure and cannot answer for any of these post.

in no way was I bashing Neptune or the WAV, just mind boggled over not only threads here but other vendor sites with poor reviews. As with all of products available to our hobby there will be issues and those who have complaints about their experiences with said products. So no bones to be picked, I was more curious to find any information that would shed a better light into the longevity of the WAV and Neptunes history of standing behind the new products outside of just control and monitoring devices.
    Again thanks for your response
    I have a Neptune controller since a long time ( actually i have 3 ) , i also had WAV pump since they were first release to Beta tester , i also have an extremely complex set-up , pushing the limit of the system to the max( more then 100 outlets and more then 20 modules ). I always had full support from Neptune and all the great guys over there . As of now , i am rebuilding a new system ( even more complex ) with extensive advance programming and planning to add many other modules on this new system , and i am pretty sure i will get full support from the Neptune guys again if i need . That is my little 2 cents .
    Alain

control freak wantabe
    I'll add my name to the list of failed WAVs. I don't remember how long I've had it but it's not much more than a year. I believe they were released for sale about 8/25/2015.

This seems like a very short lifetime for an expensive pump. I have MaxiJet (MarineLand version) pumps that have been in continuous service for more than 10 years. Less than two years is pitiful lifespan.

The other issue, that has been mentioned, is the failure of one pump causes the other to stop working. OMG! what kind of craziness is this?

My one non-functional pump is most likely going back to Neptune next week. I'm not sure if I'll replace it if it costs full retail.

Regular Vistor

Who has had their's for over a year?

I have had my WAVs for a little over a year, but I bought them from another aquarist who had had them for a few months...so over a year and a half old. One just stopped working last week. Impeller seemed funky so I bought a new one. No improvement. Took days to schedule a tech phone call....nothing can be done remotely so I have to send it in...warrantee is up on a $200 pump.

I could be ok with this, but I have been a steady Neptune customer for about 10 years. I started with an ACjr, and moved to an ACIII, now to the APEX. I was a big supporter of Neptune, sat with Terrance one year at MACNA...had a nice chat with his wife. But I think the company is growing too fast, not unlike Krispy Kreme, and quality is suffering. I had an AFS go bad just 3 months after I bought it....still under warrantee....sent it in and they said "this is a problem with water damage, not covered by the warrantee" OOOHHHHHHH that made me mad! Isn't it designed to go over an aquarium? It's not like it fell in the water! I presume I will have to pay a good price for this WAV too, and I really wonder if I should. Is this throwing good money after bad?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast