Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has had their's for over a year?

New User
    I have five WAV pumps.... have had them for a little under one year.
    All four in my reef tank have failed and required factory servicing after self help acid wash and impeller replacement failed to restore function.
    What I am learning about them and my system is that they will need more maintenance than I was providing them.
    In my system that has heavy growth I need to soak them in acid every three months. My tank maintenance consultant reckons that the early failure rate is due to the heavy use of kalkwasser that I feed my system with to maintain pH.
    In my system with light growth and no kalk cleaning every six to eight months appears to be fine.
    It's a good product... just requires maintenance and once it locks up it's likely to be a return for factory service based upon my experience.... just don't let the growth get to the point where they lock up.

New User
    Mine is 1.5 years old, both WAV power heads died even after thorough cleaning and troubleshooting with support.
    Of course it is out of warranty and companies set warranty period based on mean time of failure.
    There seem to be some reliability issues Neptune Apex is trying to hide, again can't blame them since this is the first pump product they made.
    In the mean time, my 3 years old Tunze power heads still kicking *** with no problem.

Regular Vistor

Thumbs up would you believe it?

So today I received this email:

Hi XXX,

Afterdiagnosing the contents of RMA# A21461, we have concluded that it willcost $199.95 to replace the item as it is not repairable.Please follow the link here to provide payment arrangements for your repair:

http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/rma-service/

Besure to read the instructions in the product description. Failure to do socould result in delay of processing the payment for your RMA. If your repairorder is conducted outside of the purchase date (1) Year Warranty than post RMAprocedures would grant you a (60) days to return your item in the unlikelyevent of workmanship defects.

Pleaselet us know if you have any questions regarding this quote.

PleaseReference Ticket: http://support.neptunesystems.com/helpdesk/tickets/XXXXX

Thankyou,

NeptuneSystems Support Team

After a failure of an AFS after only 3 months and now this after less than 2 years I think I will no longer buy Neptune peripherals. I cannot believe that do not stand behind their products.

New User
    Yeah, mine just died too after 1.5 years. Thank goodness I still had my MP20s... they are over 5 years old and although a little slow to start, at least they still work! Like others, my classic apex showed everything as fine only to discover that my pumps weren't actually working. I just broke my foot a month ago and didn't discover the problem for 2 weeks. Spent hours trying to fix a problem that shouldn't be -- I've always cleaned my pumps in acid baths. Really a piss poor product - back to Ecotech Marine for me -- the BEST customer support and long-lasting products.

Regular Vistor
    I got mine in September 2015, but I moved and had them out of service for 6 months. So, effectively, they've been running for about 1.5 years. One died and was shorting out the 1 link, the other seems to be OK.

Regular Vistor
    Just lost one of mine. Purchased January 2016. It is heading into Neptune but I suspect it is not repairable.

New User
    Just lost one and the other failed after it. I’ve had them running 3 months. A vinegar cleaning didn’t help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    As always, we examine returns for any common thread. None has yet to be found. This is not a common occurrence as many are running the WAV far past this time period. Those who had outright failures shortly after the warranty period have been provided replacements as far as I know. Including the OP of this thread.

Terence, I really like Neptune products, but now i'm on the fence about buying the wav powerheads, is their a common problem happening to bring these down so fast? i mean are they breaking for the same reason? to me it sounds like a dead short problem, if it's bringing down the other power head with it. Can you fill the gap here. I would hate not to be able to buy from you guys. I'm a big fan of Neptune Products.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by Mzurlo; 08-09-2017 at 13:09. Reason: miss spelling

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzurlo View Post
    Terence, I really like Neptune products, but now i'm on the fence about buying the wav powerheads, is their a common problem happening to bring these down so fast? i mean are they breaking for the same reason? to me it sounds like a dead short problem, if it's bringing down the other power head with it. Can you fill the gap here. I would hate not to be able to buy from you guys. I'm a big fan of Neptune Products.

Thanks
    Mark
    As far as the percentages go, true failures for this product are not yet a concern.

The thing that happens with the WAV, like many high performance DC motor pumps, is that they can require service more often. This is especially the case with a powerhead. The vast majority or issues we have seen with the WAV have been either user-caused or because of failure to maintain. You should see some of the pumps that come back in to us.

That said, of course there are some customers who have had a failure and who maintained their pumps and kept them pristine.

End result though is that we are taking care of the customers who have problems.

Regular Vistor
    As far as the percentages go, true failures for this product are not yet a concern.

The thing that happens with the WAV, like many high performance DC motor pumps, is that they can require service more often. This is especially the case with a powerhead. The vast majority or issues we have seen with the WAV have been either user-caused or because of failure to maintain. You should see some of the pumps that come back in to us.

That said, of course there are some customers who have had a failure and who maintained their pumps and kept them pristine.

End result though is that we are taking care of the customers who have problems.

oh gotcha, thanks for the peace of mind. love the product's.

Thanks Mark Zurlo

The vast majority or issues we have seen with the WAV have been either user-caused or because of failure to maintain.

I would like to know what constitutes a user-caused issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    The vast majority or issues we have seen with the WAV have been either user-caused or because of failure to maintain.

I would like to know what constitutes a user-caused issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I would assume that constitutes stuff like dropping or throwing it and cracking the casing, cleaning with solvents that damage the impeller (acid washing), overloading the power supply (designed for 2 wav and 1 dos, not 3 wav at full power continuously. Dumb design choice IMO but would constitute user error since there are warnings), and water damage to the 1link/eb832.

This may also include false claims that the pump doesn't work, but it really does and the user just didn't follow the instructions so it just gets sent back as is.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I would assume that constitutes stuff like dropping or throwing it and cracking the casing, cleaning with solvents that damage the impeller (acid washing), overloading the power supply (designed for 2 wav and 1 dos, not 3 wav at full power continuously. Dumb design choice IMO but would constitute user error since there are warnings), and water damage to the 1link/eb832.

This may also include false claims that the pump doesn't work, but it really does and the user just didn't follow the instructions so it just gets sent back as is.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Pretty much this - on the WAV we often get back pumps that are just caked in crud or lime deposits. And this is after we ask the customer if they have cleaned it - run it in a 50/50 vinegar bath, etc.

Also, the broken shaft thing - as in "I had no idea - the shaft is broken?" which is commonly caused by someone removing the impeller, setting it on the counter next to the pump or the outside magnet - at which time it flies right into it and cracks the shaft. I have done this myself - it is easy to do.

I am not trying to shift all blame to users, but the vast majority of issues are of this nature.

I have on my long list of video plans one for how to run and maintain the WAV.

Frequent Visitor

I'd love to see the video... time to get it posted.

Thanks,
    jdg

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrubbs View Post
    I'd love to see the video... time to get it posted.

Thanks,
    jdg
    Me too, I can not see any difference in cleaning or maintaining wav power heads from other brands of pumps
    Maybe there is something to learn here.

Frequent Visitor
    One of mine died last week, right at two years.

My tank does not have lime build up and runs pretty clean.

When I disassembled it, it actually looked fairly clean...vinegar bath it and surprisingly it worked again...for one day.

What gives?

My 2nd wav is running fine.

In the same tank is 2x jaebos (One died at 1 yr, one still runs) and an MP4qd....gets noisy sometimes but runs.

The impeller is not broke.

What aggrivated me is fusion reported it as running normally.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Pretty much this - on the WAV we often get back pumps that are just caked in crud or lime deposits. And this is after we ask the customer if they have cleaned it - run it in a 50/50 vinegar bath, etc.

Also, the broken shaft thing - as in "I had no idea - the shaft is broken?" which is commonly caused by someone removing the impeller, setting it on the counter next to the pump or the outside magnet - at which time it flies right into it and cracks the shaft. I have done this myself - it is easy to do.

I am not trying to shift all blame to users, but the vast majority of issues are of this nature.

Going to have to respectfully disagree here.

This is my Wav that died...though it did make it like a year and 10 months.

New User
    This is great info Terence. Would 100% White Vinegar be too acidic? Do you soak or just brush the pump(s) in it?

Frequent Contributor
    @Allentown, as I said, the "majority" of pumps we get back. Clearly not all. Like every product, there have been failures. It is obvious that your pump was impeccably clean.

I clean mine by simply removing and letting run in a jug of 50/50 white vinegar and water for an hour or two, brushing off the outside and impeller, and putting back in. I have once, in 15 months, removed the impeller, soaked in vinegar, brushed it off, and reassembled.

Frequent Visitor
    @Allentown, as I said, the "majority" of pumps we get back. Clearly not all. Like every product, there have been failures. It is obvious that your pump was impeccably clean.

I clean mine by simply removing and letting run in a jug of 50/50 white vinegar and water for an hour or two, brushing off the outside and impeller, and putting back in. I have once, in 15 months, removed the impeller, soaked in vinegar, brushed it off, and reassembled.
    Same here on all counts.

One of my Wavs works fine.

I might mess with the broke one again later but this week I've upgraded lighting both on tank and sump (including an LSM) installed a DOS to AWC and am adding door switches and high low float valves everywhere and installing a PM2 and solenoids.

Waiting for the Core to install the FMM (I'll do all that at once).

Busy couple days.

Neptune needs their own LED light fixture and ready made back up battery solution so I don't have to deal with AI and Ecotech anymore.....just saying.

Regular Vistor
    Just to follow up with my earlier post about loosing one of mine after 18months. I opened up a support ticket and sent it in to Neptune. Mine was obviously one of the rare cases of early failure not caused by poor maintenance ( I clean them regularly). In true Neptune Systems customer service fashion they are replacing it under warranty. For those of you experiencing failures I would suggest getting in touch with tech support.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    Just to follow up with my earlier post about loosing one of mine after 18months. I opened up a support ticket and sent it in to Neptune. Mine was obviously one of the rare cases of early failure not caused by poor maintenance ( I clean them regularly). In true Neptune Systems customer service fashion they are replacing it under warranty. For those of you experiencing failures I would suggest getting in touch with tech support.
    2 years out?

Heck I'd settle for a 50% rather than full replace.

I didn't think you could open a ticket that far out of warranty???

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
    2 years out?

Heck I'd settle for a 50% rather than full replace.

I didn't think you could open a ticket that far out of warranty???

You can submit a support ticket anytime. Outside of warranty they are able to fix some items as well.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    You can submit a support ticket anytime. Outside of warranty they are able to fix some items as well.
    As I did. We found a mutual solution which I am happy with.

Props to Neptune for 3 times taking care of me.

1) When my cat ripped wire out of my display 2) When I needed a new base module and decided to get my fried one fixed as a back up and 3) With my Wav that died a premature death.

They have me as a customer and I just upgraded my system w a PM2, DOS, 2nd break out box and 2x solenoids to show my appreciation.

I might even have to stop baitching about needing to buy a whole new apex to get the base unit.

Frequent Visitor
    I was thinking the other day that things like this should have staggered replacement costs. As long as failure is not user stupidity, if the WAV fails after the one year warranty but before two, it would be $99 to replace; between 2 and 3 years, $150 to replace; and after three, full retail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast