Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need the Apex Browse Utiliy?

Do I need the Apex Browse Utiliy?

Where do I find it? I'm trying to setup a classic apex that hasn't been used in almost 2 years and I'm having a hard time remembering anything. I know I need to change the Apex Gateway Address through the dashboard. What else? I know I need connection before I do a firmware update.

I took the apex's IP address off the display unit and put in my web browser's URL and got "The Connection Has Timed Out."

I had the browse utility on this laptop's desktop but can't find anywhere else either. Then I went to url to and downloaded but z-zip won't unzip.

Frequent Visitor
    Hello,

Not sure I understand.
    What is exactly you are trying to achieve? Tell us what you want to do so that we can help!

All the best,
    Rui

Hi Powers 2001,
    Have you had a look at https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexclassic/ as a refresher? It should give you all the information you need to get your classic back up and running.

There is also good information here if the get started guide doesn't help: http://support.neptunesystems.com/su...c-dashboard-pc

Regards

Using the display, enable DHCP in the network settings. Restart the Apex.

After it reboots, use the IP shown in the display.

The firmware updated has browse/discovery built in. You can use that too.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    Hello,

Not sure I understand.
    What is exactly you are trying to achieve? Tell us what you want to do so that we can help!

All the best,
    Rui
    I'm trying to access my apex through fusion and the dashboard. I have access though the display only.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Using the display, enable DHCP in the network settings. Restart the Apex.
    After it reboots, use the IP shown in the display.
    I have tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The firmware updated has browse/discovery built in. You can use that too.
    How can I update firmware without access through fusion or classic dashboard?

I know my apex is connected to the internet because the display gives me it's IP address but I can't get through to it with my laptop.

I'm trying to unzip the firmware download with z-zip but nothing happens. I tried to install a new version of z-zip but wouldn't work. I've gotten nowhere for two days.

Quote Originally Posted by rlauer View Post
    Hi Powers 2001,
    Have you had a look at https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexclassic/ as a refresher? It should give you all the information you need to get your classic back up and running.

There is also good information here if the get started guide doesn't help: http://support.neptunesystems.com/su...c-dashboard-pc

Regards
    The first link's tutorial starting point is for initializing fusion account. I have a fusion account and I know how to do everything else that link gives, but it was a refresher. The second link was a refresher too but can't access classic dashboard.

I think I will try the Android app for tablets.

When enabling DHCP as Russ suggested and using the IP shown in the display, did you disable wifi on your PC and include the port?

As an example it should look something like the following: "192.168.0.6:80" in your browsers address bar. Your PC should have a similar IP address if ranges (vast majority of routers anyway) were left as default on your router. IE 192.168.0.???

As for the firmware updater with the browse utility, if you are no able to unzip, I would be happy to send you the unzipped files via e-mail. Just PM me with email address.

Quote Originally Posted by rlauer View Post
    When enabling DHCP as Russ suggested and using the IP shown in the display, did you disable wifi on your PC and include the port?

As an example it should look something like the following: "192.168.0.6:80" in your browsers address bar. Your PC should have a similar IP address if ranges (vast majority of routers anyway) were left as default on your router. IE 192.168.0.???

As for the firmware updater with the browse utility, if you are no able to unzip, I would be happy to send you the unzipped files via e-mail. Just PM me with email address.
    Why would I disable wi-fi? Do I connect via ethernet cable?
    My apex address is 192.168.1.117 and my computer's address is 192.168.254.22 what do I do with these two addresses? Don't I need to enter some gateway or some type of address on the classic dashboard?

Quote Originally Posted by powers2001 View Post
    Why would I disable wi-fi? Do I connect via ethernet cable?
    My apex address is 192.168.1.117 and my computer's address is 192.168.254.22 what do I do with these two addresses? Don't I need to enter some gateway or some type of address on the classic dashboard?
    That right there is your problem. Your Apex and your computer are on different subnets. You either need to change the IP on your computer to be 192.168.1.X or change the IP on the IP on the Apex to be 192.168.254.X before they will see each other. It would appear that your computer isn't actually set up to us DHCP and is using a manual address instead of one served up by the router. Enable DHCP on your computer and that should fix your IP issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mil3sdavis View Post
    It would appear that your computer isn't actually set up to us DHCP and is using a manual address instead of one served up by the router.
    Or he's double NAT'd. Powers, can you describe the routers/switches/modems in your network?

Quote Originally Posted by mil3sdavis View Post
    That right there is your problem. Your Apex and your computer are on different subnets. You either need to change the IP on your computer to be 192.168.1.X or change the IP on the IP on the Apex to be 192.168.254.X before they will see each other. It would appear that your computer isn't actually set up to us DHCP and is using a manual address instead of one served up by the router. Enable DHCP on your computer and that should fix your IP issues.
    I don't even know what DHCP stands for. How do I enable it on my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Or he's double NAT'd. Powers, can you describe the routers/switches/modems in your network?
    I'm still at work but IIRC, it's a Frontier Communications and Netgear. That's all I can remember. I will post again tonight.

It is a Netgear, model D2200. If my computer is using the internet doesn't that mean it has DHCP enabled?

It's likely you're using DHCP, but we need to know a bit more about your network to understand why your Apex and your computer are not on the same subnet.

Does that netgear plug into a device that was supplied by your internet provider? If so what is it?

Also, is your Apex plugged directly to the Netgear?

Do you use any type of range extenders, wifi signal boosters, anything else like that?

Does that netgear plug into a device that was supplied by your internet provider? If so what is it?
    The netgear was supplied by internet provider. Netgear model D2200

No but I could plug it directly into the Netgear via ethernet cable if you want me to.

Do you use any type of range extenders, wifi signal boosters, anything else like that?
    Nothing else, just the Netgear.

Quote Originally Posted by powers2001 View Post
    No but I could plug it directly into the Netgear via ethernet cable if you want me to.
    So if it's not plugged into the Netgear and you have no other networking gear then what is it plugged into?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    So if it's not plugged into the Netgear and you have no other networking gear then what is it plugged into?
    Oh, yes the Apex is plugged into the Netgear. I thought it said computer. I plugged the computer into the Netgear also and disabled wi-fi.

Ok, with the computer and apex plugged into the netgear, with both set on DHCP, what IP address do the devices have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast