Thread: Triton DOSing

Triton DOSing

Can someone sanity check me please? I'm new to the DOS just want to make sure I'm getting what I'm after.

Triton is a 4 part dosing. 1,2,3a,3b. I want to dose 10ml of each per 24 hour period. Tirton wants to give a 5-10 minutes between each part due to possible reactions. So my thinking was to divide up the day into 24 dosing windows and do something like this

00:00-00:50 Part 1
    01:00-01:50 Part 2
    02:00-02:50 Part 3a
    03:00-03:50 Part 2b
    04:00-04:50 Part 1
    05:00-05:50 Part 2
    etc. etc. etc.

My starting dose is 10ml per day, so this is what I came up with. Does this look like what I'm intending?

DOS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Can someone sanity check me please? I'm new to the DOS just want to make sure I'm getting what I'm after.

Triton is a 4 part dosing. 1,2,3a,3b. I want to dose 10ml of each per 24 hour period. Tirton wants to give a 5-10 minutes between each part due to possible reactions. So my thinking was to divide up the day into 24 dosing windows and do something like this

00:00-00:50 Part 1
    01:00-01:50 Part 2
    02:00-02:50 Part 3a
    03:00-03:50 Part 2b
    04:00-04:50 Part 1
    05:00-05:50 Part 2
    etc. etc. etc.

My starting dose is 10ml per day, so this is what I came up with. Does this look like what I'm intending?

DOS.jpg
    Hey Justin, how did you end up settling with this? I'm in exactly the same boat now with starting Triton. Second dos not hooked up yet, but trying to think how to space it out. Looks like you've been using it for a few months. Have you found the best way to break it up, have you found any spikes in dosing the same amounts from each bottle, and overall pretty pleased with the conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.h View Post
    Hey Justin, how did you end up settling with this? I'm in exactly the same boat now with starting Triton. Second dos not hooked up yet, but trying to think how to space it out. Looks like you've been using it for a few months. Have you found the best way to break it up, have you found any spikes in dosing the same amounts from each bottle, and overall pretty pleased with the conversion?
    I actually ended up having to drop my dose down to 6ml a day as I've got a light SPS load at the moment, but otherwise the schedule works as expected. I could see where if you were dosing 30ml+ a day you might want to break those segments down into even smaller ones, but at my dosing levels I think "switching bottles" every hour works fine.

Here's what a typical output log looks like.

Dosing.PNG

I actually ended up having to drop my dose down to 6ml a day as I've got a light SPS load at the moment, but otherwise the schedule works as expected. I could see where if you were dosing 30ml+ a day you might want to break those segments down into even smaller ones, but at my dosing levels I think "switching bottles" every hour works fine.

Here's what a typical output log looks like.

Dosing.PNG
    Looks good. I was thinking of starting off at 2 or so. 6 month old tank, 41 frags. My first test came back good, but with higher mg and cal. I'm dosing 4-5 ml a day of alk now. I figured I could continue dosing only that for a bit to even everything out. Then dose the 4 bottles evenly according to alk number. I figured I'd just dose one ml of each bottle, am and pm. 10 minutes apart. I believe 3a and 3b are alk, So unless those two bottles are watered down or have something else with them, It should be a good starting point?

Did you go with the full method core 7 or standard? I have a fuge, but with a newer system I'm concerned with an algae outbreak shortly after. Wondering your thoughts after a few months of playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.h View Post
    Looks good. I was thinking of starting off at 2 or so. 6 month old tank, 41 frags. My first test came back good, but with higher mg and cal. I'm dosing 4-5 ml a day of alk now. I figured I could continue dosing only that for a bit to even everything out. Then dose the 4 bottles evenly according to alk number. I figured I'd just dose one ml of each bottle, am and pm. 10 minutes apart. I believe 3a and 3b are alk, So unless those two bottles are watered down or have something else with them, It should be a good starting point?

Did you go with the full method core 7 or standard? I have a fuge, but with a newer system I'm concerned with an algae outbreak shortly after. Wondering your thoughts after a few months of playing with it.
    My system is a little atypical at the moment. It's the basement sump and frag tank without the upstairs DT, which I plan on adding later. About 170gallons total water volume at the moment. That being said I've got about 30 LPS/soft frags and 10 or so SPS frags and my alk is holding at ~8.2 on roughly 6ml a day of the Core7 (full) method. When I first started dosing the macro went crazy, but it's starting to level out now. I have ZERO algae in the frag tank, it's all in the fuge. I've been running since 2/1 and I've sent off two water tests. The first came back high in tin and silicate. I did the prescribed water changes with Tropic Marin Pro and the second test came back clean as a whistle.

You definitely want to try to keep all three bottles dosing the same amount, and based on your alk. It took me about two weeks of testing alk 3 x weekly until I got my dosage adjusted correctly. During that time my calc and mg got high, especially my mg, but they've leveled out over time.

I also had concern about feeding nuisance algae, as I had a fair amount of GHA and bit cyano when I started. You might have to "beat down" the nuisance algae's to give the macro's a chance to out compete it. Once I did a good cleaning of my frag tank I haven't seen really any return of nuisance algae, knock on wood.

My system is a little atypical at the moment. It's the basement sump and frag tank without the upstairs DT, which I plan on adding later. About 170gallons total water volume at the moment. That being said I've got about 30 LPS/soft frags and 10 or so SPS frags and my alk is holding at ~8.2 on roughly 6ml a day of the Core7 (full) method. When I first started dosing the macro went crazy, but it's starting to level out now. I have ZERO algae in the frag tank, it's all in the fuge. I've been running since 2/1 and I've sent off two water tests. The first came back high in tin and silicate. I did the prescribed water changes with Tropic Marin Pro and the second test came back clean as a whistle.

You definitely want to try to keep all three bottles dosing the same amount, and based on your alk. It took me about two weeks of testing alk 3 x weekly until I got my dosage adjusted correctly. During that time my calc and mg got high, especially my mg, but they've leveled out over time.

I also had concern about feeding nuisance algae, as I had a fair amount of GHA and bit cyano when I started. You might have to "beat down" the nuisance algae's to give the macro's a chance to out compete it. Once I did a good cleaning of my frag tank I haven't seen really any return of nuisance algae, knock on wood.
    Thanks for the feedback. That's about what I expected. I'm dosing no3 and po4 to be detectable. Because the bio load is light I only have 12 or so lbs mature live rock in the sump along with a small clump of cheato. My main concern was which kit to go with. If the sump would handle the nuance algae without it going in the display. Display is clean. Dry rock in there 7 months mature. I clean glass 2x a week and that's it. Just trying to keep it that way. And of course not overshoot alk.