Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to activate Heartbeat in APEX Fusion

New User
    Does anyone know how much data the heartbeat feature uses? (size of packets, frequency of heartbeats)? Those of us who live in areas w/ no "real" internet have to use hot spots or satellite - both of which have data caps.. I want to be sure that enabling heartbeat, will not put me over my data cap. Thx for any info.

The Heartbeat function does not use any data itself. The Apex maintains a continuous connection to APEX Fusion. The Heartbeat function monitors the normal ongoing communications between the Apex and APEX Fusion, and triggers on the absence of that communications if lost for => 35-40 minutes. It's impossible to estimate the amount of data transferred as part of that. There are many variables involved, such as how many inputs and outputs your Apex system has, the data logging interval, how many outputs you have logging enabled for, and how often you make configuration changes, just to name a few. However, that being said, most of the time the traffic level is at a low background level, just maintaining that persistent connection to APEX Fusion. The total volume of data transferred is typically not large, and probably will not consume much of a data plan. YMMV.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Has the heartbeat function been removed? I am not seeing where to enable this in fusion? I do have the newest ApexEL.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanM View Post
    Has the heartbeat function been removed? I am not seeing where to enable this in fusion? I do have the newest ApexEL.
    It is still there, and the instructions given in the first post in this thread are still valid. Heartbeat is only in APEX Fusion, not in APEX Local.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Why the 35-40 min delay before the first notification? Seems kinda long especially if using the heartbeat as a notification of possible power outage. Because of this delay, should the heartbeat not be used as method of notification of power outage? Instead, using UPS on router & Apex?

Quote Originally Posted by rioreef View Post
    Why the 35-40 min delay before the first notification? Seems kinda long especially if using the heartbeat as a notification of possible power outage. Because of this delay, should the heartbeat not be used as method of notification of power outage? Instead, using UPS on router & Apex?
    Because without that delay you would get nuisance emails for heartbeat and wouldn't take to notifications seriously.

You should use a UPS for I Stanton notification and you want one anyway to maintain flow in your aquarium. Corals can handle no heat for a substantial time but no flow can kill corals within a matter of hours.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Can you not enable the heartbeat from the Apex Fusion app? I'm trying to do this but just don't see an option with heartbeat on it. I see this view......BFE48645-DA92-4131-85FD-4536D75DBA06.jpg

Any suggestions? Thanks

Tap the Apex name menu, not the user account menu.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Tap the Apex name menu, not the user account menu.
    Well that was an easy fix......many thanks 👍

New User
    sorry first day signing on to Apex fusion with a brand new tank. I cant find the heartbeat function but I am not sure what you mean by the Apex name menu. I have been hunting around blindly for a bit. I would appreciate any tips thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12