Thread: Apex Classic Restarting at random

Regular Vistor

Apex Classic Restarting at random

Within the last several weeks my Apex Classic has started restarting on it's own (no changes to Wifi, router, etc.) At first I thought it was something with my WNCE3001 that I was using to connect to my router....8' away in the closet (mind you that it has worked flawlessly for the last 3+ years, same set up!) I checked the firmware of the Apex....current. I checked the firmware of the WNCE3001...old. Updated the firmware on the WNCE3001. Still had the restarts. I bought an IOGEAR GWU627 to replace the WNCE3001. Still had the same issues. Fusion would tell me it has lost connection a lot in the last 24 hours (like 15+ times.) I double check all my Net setup settings....verify DNS servers, etc. I decide to eliminate the wifi portion, and connect straight to my router with an ethernet cable. MINIMIZES the restarts, and Fusion disconnects...but doesn't totally eliminate the issue. Neptune had me update the bootloader, and then disconnect from wifi/ethernet all together for 12-24 hours. I let it go 3 days...check the syslog.txt, and no issues. Connect straight with ethernet cable to router, and I still get a restart 1 or 2 times a day at random. Neptune is telling me to minimize the Apex connections and connect to the nearest router port. Well, 8' in a closet IS my router, and even with an ethernet connection I still am getting a random restart of the system!!!

Has anybody else had an issue like this, and what solved the issue?? Again, it worked flawlessly for 3+ years and then out of the blue I started having issues without any changes being made by me (that I am aware of.)

Regular Vistor
    I think I got to the root of the problem. I lean towards the WNCE3001 that I had been using as the WiFi link must have gone screwy. I ended up connecting the Apex directly to the router with an ethernet cable, turned on the DHCP to redo the WiFi settings, turned DHCP off. I let it sit like that for 4 days or so, without any errors. I bought a new WiFi adapter, hooked that up, and then connected it to the Apex, and it has been happy ever since. Having said all of that, my suspicions were confirmed today when I got a used Apex for another tank, updated the firmware on it, and then used the WNCE3001 to connect it to the router, and the Apex started going nuts. I had to run out and buy a longer ethernet cable and got everything fixed again, and am waiting for another adapter to show up Sunday (thanks, Amazon!) The WNCE3001 is finding its was to the trash in the morning......