Thread: Heater Question

Regular Vistor

Heater Question

If I want my heater, which is set for 75, to turn at 74, wouldn't I set the on temp for 74?

Currently, the on temp is set for 74 and the off temp is set for 76. Should the range between on and off be bigger??

Ted

Frequent Visitor
    I typically have my heaters on at 79.5 and off at 80. I want to keep the temp as stable as possible and don't want a 1 degree or more swing.

Make sure the internal heater thermostat us set higher than your off temp so it is only used as a failsafe in the event of an apex failure.

This is one of my Heater programs

If Tmpx12 < 79.5 Then ON
    If Tmpx12 > 80.0 Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    Frogfish,
    So your on temp is 79.5 and off temp is 80.00, the thermostat on your heater is set for 81, right?
    Ted

Regular Vistor
    Frogfish,

Then based on your programming in the Apex, the highest temp the heater will get to is 80. If the Apex crashes while the heater is running then the highest it will get is 81. Is this correct??
    Ted

Frequent Visitor
    Yes.

actually on at 79.4 (which is the first value less than 79.5) and off at 80.1 (which is the first value greater than 80)

Regular Vistor
    I narrowed the range on the Apex to 74.5 (Apex on) and 75 (Apex off). I set the heater for 76. I can see by looking at the temp scale on the Apex that it is working. The water temp would drop to 74.6 and the heater would kick on, bringing the temp up to 75. That is a lot of cycling on and off if the room temp is below the desired water temp. I just bought a eheim heater, but its the traditional two metal strips thermostat. I'll have to order a digital heater. Hate for the two strips to weld shut.

Ted

Frequent Visitor
    I have some that cycle on and off frequently and some that are on longer with less cycling. It depends on the size of your heater compared to the tank volume and how fast the tank water sheads heat. I tend to go with two smaller heaters and stage them so the second comes on a buit lower than the first. This way if the first can keep up it will run and cycle less, but on a colder day the second one may kick on to help out as well.

Regular Vistor
    I have a 50 gal cube and a 20 gal sump. The heater is rated for up to 80 gal.
    It's been cooler than usual in central Texas. But I'm saving up for a chiller for the summer months. My office gets over 90 degrees in the heat of the day.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by strat1960s View Post
    I have a 50 gal cube and a 20 gal sump. The heater is rated for up to 80 gal.
    It's been cooler than usual in central Texas. But I'm saving up for a chiller for the summer months. My office gets over 90 degrees in the heat of the day.
    AC is the way to go... why just spend money to make your tank cool with a chiller..... You deserve to feel cool also..... then if you need additional temp reduction add a fan to tank. Just my thoughts and is what I do... granted I don't live in Texas

Regular Vistor