Thread: APEX + Abyzz = Return Pump Nirvana: The Missing Guide

Regular Vistor

APEX + Abyzz = Return Pump Nirvana: The Missing Guide

I have scoured the internet and not found this information anywhere, so hopefully the following will be helpful to a fellow reefer.

As this is posted, Abyzz America has the APEX cables in stock and they have been outstanding to work with. Here is a link to the cable you need to connect your APEX and Abyzz pump: http://www.abyzzamerica.com/Abyzz-In...va-intapex.htm

The physical connection is straight forward; serial cable to ‘Master’ input on Abyzz control box and RJ-45 into an available variable outlet port on your APEX. Here are the 4 entries I made using APEX Fusion:

PROGRAM

[ Return_Pump ] ( Physical EB832 Outlet)
    Fallback ON
    Set ON

[ Abyzz_Pump ] ( V1 Outlet)
    Fallback Abyzz_Day
    Set Abyzz_Day
    If FeedA 005 Then Abyzz_Feed

PROFILES

[ Abyzz_Day ]
    Ramp Time: 1
    Start Intensity: 58
    End Intensity: 58

[ Abyzz_Feed ]
    Ramp Time: 1
    Start Intensity: 53
    End Intensity: 53

Hints:

a) I found that programming wasn't necessarily a perfect match. I am running an A400 as a return to the first floor from a sump located in the basement at 60% on the A400 controller. When set at 60% on the APEX, the Abyzz controller was showing 62%-63%. The easy fix was to adjust the APEX to 58%.
    b) In order to avoid splashing water when the pumps started up again, I wanted a slow trickle into the overflow when feeding (enough to keep the return line full, but not sucking food into the overflow). I was a little surprised at how high the pump needed to be set to maintain head pressure, but it makes sense. You will need to experiment with what works best for your aquarium.

If anyone has questions, post away!

Mike

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Mike, and I'm happy for once that I'm not the guinea pig

I will likely go down this route as I'd like a few Apex driven features on my A400 which like you is my return pump. Was thinking about a feed mode, a slow start mode for when I switch the pump off, perhaps others.

Off to source the cable from Abyzz DE or some like.

Regards from snowy Switzerland.

Frequent Visitor
    Just had a little look around. I can see it on the Abyzz USA website but bizarrely it's not on the DE website... I'll check with an Abyzz stockist this week.

Regular Vistor
    I get the high end pump, but seriously, I hope that cable is made of pure gold for the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Paddy View Post
    I get the high end pump, but seriously, I hope that cable is made of pure gold for the price!

There is more there than just a cable.

Not sure if it is an opto-isolator or an analog/digital converter, however there is a small aluminum box inline between the RJ45 and serial cable that draws power from the Abyzz control box.

I won't try and defend the $189 price tag, but then again you are connecting it to a $2,500 pump!

M

Frequent Visitor
    Hi Mike any chance you can describe the cable a little more please ? I ask as I was emailed back today by a reputable Abyzz stockist in DE and the said the ghl cable works with the serial adaptor on the end going to the Abyzz control box and the RJ45 into Apex, is this what you have ? if so it seems odd that its just the plain old ghl cable solution that's been around for several years....

Regular Vistor
    Hi Nigel, I have already buried the cable in Panduit or I would snap a photo.

There was some early confusion the connection required two cables - the Abyzz interface and a separate APEX cable. I think that may be the case for the GHL controllers, but not for the APEX.

The cable Abyzz America provided was all inclusive, saving about $100 here in the States over buying the interface and GHL cables separately.

If you look at the photo below from Abyzz's website of their standard interface, rather than the locking terminal/plug on the left hand side, there is an 8-wire, flat telco cable exiting the black box that terminates on the other end in an RJ45 connector that plugs into your APEX (hope that description makes sense). Other end (coming off the right side) is a standard serial cable, just like the one that originally came with the pump. Of course when I ran everything through the Panduit, I was 2" short so that extra cable came in handy!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Want2BS8ed; 02-07-2017 at 00:39. Reason: Reattaching picture

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Mike, OK so the new dedicated Apex - Abyzz cable is a dedicated cable with serial to RJ45 without any adaptor basically ?

But I assume in that case that the ghl configuration as shown above will still work just that the price may be higher ?

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions....

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeway View Post
    Thanks Mike, OK so the new dedicated Apex - Abyzz cable is a dedicated cable with serial to RJ45 without any adaptor basically ?
    Basically yes. You still have the black box, but it is RJ45 on one end and serial on the other.

But I assume in that case that the ghl configuration as shown above will still work just that the price may be higher ?
    If GHL uses an RJ45 plug and is putting out a 0v to 10v signal, then I would assume yes, but I am not familiar with GHL's controller. I am a third generation APEX guy!

Thanks again and sorry for so many questions....
    No worries. I feel your pain at the lack of information that's available.

Have you tried reaching out directly to Abyzz DE? The cable came in a plain brown box with no instructions, but the box did have a German recycling imprint on the bottom, so its easy to assume that's where it was assembled.

Also, I'm not sure what the cost of shipping would be to Switzerland, but it has to be less than the cost of the GHL cable and because the cable draws power from the Abyzz control box you shouldn't have any voltage issues, why not reach out to Abyzz America and get the solution we know should work? Jeff has been very responsive every time I have had to reach out to him.

One thing I can assure you once you are able to source the cable, programming it is much easier!

Frequent Visitor
    OK thanks.

I had previously quite a few exchanges with Abyzz DE directly and the final position about a year ago was that the cable was coming out soon. I got bored and gave up....

When I checked with an Abyzz stockist he seemed surprised at the question and confidently said that the ghl cable would work but he couldn't back it up with facts.

To be sure I will check with Abyzz DE as I'd like to get a real solution and not just some expensive ornament. Still I'll have to go back to the stockist as Abyzz DE don't supply direct.

Thanks again

Regular Vistor
    Good luck!

Frequent Visitor
    OK to close the loop on this here is the response from Abyzz DE:

we have an interface especially for connecting Abyzz to APEX.
    It is the „Abyzz Apex Interface“ order number VA-APEXINT.
    You will need only this device to connect one driver to the APEX and that’s it.

So yes it's as you say this is the new part, funny that one of the largest Abyzz stockist in DE wasn't aware of it, guess he is now

Thanks

New User
    Hi Nigel,
    Hope you are well, jumping in here. Thanks Mike for this, i got my cable 2 weeks ago and have yet to get round to installing it. I have been going round in circles on this and in the end i spoke with a lovely guy called Sacha at Venotech. The UK stockists know nothing about this, in the end after me having spoken with Venotech i asked my good friends at Aquarium Architecture to get it for me ( you have to go through a stockist) I took the last one apparently and they are making more (4week lead time). Looking forward to getting it set up , when i get time!

Frequent Visitor
    Hi Dan yes same experience here with the stockist in DE, he also knew nothing and Sascha was the person that explained it all.

Glad this is moving on now.

Regular Vistor
    Dan and Nigel,

Glad you both were able to source the cables. Still working perfectly here out of the box.

Looking forward to seeing what others come up with for programming. So much potential!

Mike

New User
    https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-72-3383.../dp/B000GL3MOY
    For you guys that have the abyzz to apex cable. Is there any difference between this cable and a standard serial to rj45 converter like the one above? Just trying to understand the cost differences.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrock View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-72-3383.../dp/B000GL3MOY
    For you guys that have the abyzz to apex cable. Is there any difference between this cable and a standard serial to rj45 converter like the one above? Just trying to understand the cost differences.
    Sorry, not sure what is in a "standard serial to rj45" converter. There is clearly a box between the two connectors on the Abyzz cable though. Given the price of the pumps, I'm not sure I would be willing to risk it to save a few dollars.

FWIW, it's still working great.

M