Thread: Extension options for Aquabus (where cable isn't practical)?

New User

Extension options for Aquabus (where cable isn't practical)?

Looking to add an EB4 in my utility room (mixing station, RODI unit, etc.). However, it is not practical to have a permanent USB cable strewn across the floor (the 50 foot hose during water change is enough to irk the other members of the household).

Are there any options for adding an EB4 to the same system or linking an Apex Jr to the same dashboard? I would hate to have to control two separate systems.

Thanks,
    -Patrick

Frequent Visitor
    Nope, they have to have a cable to communicate. I drilled a small hole in the floor and covered it with the carpet so I could get the USB cable downstairs. Not always an option, it what the wife doesn't know and is well hidden won't hurt her! Lol

Frequent Visitor
    Remember, even though it uses the plugs, it is NOT a USB connection. It carries power at a higher voltage than USB and the power it carries is used to power some Neptune boxes.

New User
    Thank you for the feedback. It was a nice welcome to the forum to have such quick feedback from other members on my first post! I decided to take the plunge and buy an Apex Jr. for the utility room. It will be worth it in the long run to keep the RODI and any mixed but unused salt water stirred with powerheads occasionally throughout the day.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to add you can establish communication between the two devices using low voltage cable and solenoid relays. If you need to transmit a "transfer" signal from the tank Apex to the Utility Apex, turn on EB8 for an example, which powers a 12 volt relay. The 12 volt signal energizes a lead on a thermostat wire which triggers a passive relay in the utility room. The passive relay is connected to the Utility Apex via a break out box, notifying the utility apex that you need to transfer to the main display. Run a setup for RO/DI water and one for mixing water. I am doing this as well where I have my RO/DI in the garage, my tank in the dining room and my mixing will be in a shed outside behind my tank.

Regular Vistor
    Where can I get a 50ft apex friendly usb cable? My mixing station Is on the other side of the house in the garage.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Surline View Post
    Where can I get a 50ft apex friendly usb cable? My mixing station Is on the other side of the house in the garage.
    You can order them here:
    https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

Regular Vistor
    Awesome thank you so much!