Thread: Replacing gyre with wav

Regular Vistor

Replacing gyre with wav

Hey guys

My tank is roughly 6ft long almost 3ft wide and 2ft tall. I have been running two gyres for a while now. I love the flow of these pumps but hate them at the same time. The issues I have with them are making me want to replace them.

So with that said will I be able to get good flow like I have with the gyre with wav pumps? They currently run between 30 and 100% depending on the time of day. If so how many wav pumps would you recommend for my setup? Tank is mostly a sps tank.

New User
    Did you end up replacing your gyres? I have a similar dimension tank as yours and also have 2 gyre 150s on it. I am going to be putting in a couple WAV's next week to see if I like them better than the gyres.

Regular Vistor
    what do you hate about your gyres? I am considering them to replace my WAVs.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefTeacher View Post
    what do you hate about your gyres? I am considering them to replace my WAVs.
    Hi there,
    First, let me say that gyres are amazing devices. The amount of water that they move per device is darn near scary. The biggest downfall on the devices is the long term roi. I was one of the first folks to get the 150s when they first came out. I've owned a total of eight devices now and have subsequently moved to WAVs due to the the lower long term maintenance costs and the tighter integration with my Apex.

WAVs really didn't exist in the marketplace when gyres came out and WAVs had a few challenges getting things right. My 4 WAVs at eight+ months out now in my tank and are solid.

At the first gyre deployment into my 180g tank, the gyre flow was absolutely stunning even before the later released icecap apex interface. The icecap interface along with Carlos's community support was a godsend. The gyre 150 flow was so good that I experienced higher nitrate levels that I didn't know that existed as they cleaned my sand bed. A set of water changes solved this previously unknown matter which in hindsight was a true blessing given from the gyre deployment.

The biggest problem I had with gyres was the long term maintenance. Coralline build up gradually reduces their efficiency. Taking them apart to clean was/is fraught with issues. The tolerances of the push based fittings is very tricky to get right upon reassembly post coralline cleaning. I've spent countless hours over the past few years with Carlos's fine support team but I never got to the level of flow that one was amazed with when the gyre was first deployed into a tank. So I threw up my hands and just bought new ones. The newer fortified gyre blades helped, but the problem really is the push fittings of the device.

After the eighth device purchase and further encountering inconsistent model compatibility with icecaps to apex modules, I gave the WAVS a try. I've now replaced the two gyres on my 180G left & right sides and further replaced my older mp40s on the back wall. I've been using my 4 new WAVs now for eight+ months now and am seeing zero degrading of flow despite two coralline cleanings. Happier SPSs & softies are the result. They are not as stunning as one experienced with the gyre deployment but they are consistent and with respect to my older mp40s on the back wall, they blow the mp40s away.

There is a divergence between an apex controlled tank with Ecotech. This is a troubling trend for our hobby/passion/industry. Please let me further reinforce that gyres are a fine revolutionary product for our hobbies/passions/industry.

Your and others experiences may be different and one can only speak to one's said experiences.

$0.02 deposited,
    Drukyulgoods
    Last edited by Drukyulgoods; 05-21-2017 at 00:40. Reason: grammar