Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FMK and 3/4" monitoring

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
    What brand are the unions so I can match the threading between the two union sides. And I assume Sch. 80?
    Spear 34” Schedule 80 Union Slip x Slip
    purchased from Bulkreefsupply.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Jackooze, I think Jason2469 was asking about the unions which are included with the larger two sizes of flow sensors.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I cannot answer private messages because I have only been register for one day. Two more days to go.

I appreciate the help. I have a Reefer 250 which this week I am planning on hard plumbing two Aquamaxx-xs reactors to it. I've been planning this upgrade for a few weeks now and have all the necessary parts. This week I made a last minute change by pre ordering the 1" fmk to work my existing apex system. Not knowing when the fmk will be released I want to plan ahead how I will add it to my existing plumbing. I am just trying to see how many options I have before I glue everything.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Jackooze, I think Jason2469 was asking about the unions which are included with the larger two sizes of flow sensors.

Yep,sorry,Imeantthatforanotherthread.andforsomerea sonspacebarisnotworkingorthisinterfaceisn'tlikesap acebarinput.....

Regular Vistor
    In that case I have no idea what brand Neptune uses.

Frequent Visitor
    I was going to use one of my 1/2 flow meters for an alarm on my 3/4 emergency overflow. I figured it would shut off the return so the size difference would really not matter. But seems like a waste to use a float meter when a paddle switch would work. but not too many of those on the internet at 3/4 inch.

Did you have a pre-sales question?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry Russ. Sometimes good leads you to a thread. The catagory went un-noticed. But wish there was a 3/4". Meter...

Quote Originally Posted by MHG View Post
    Sorry Russ. Sometimes good leads you to a thread. The catagory went un-noticed. But wish there was a 3/4". Meter...
    Same here. 3/4" tubing for return lines is probably the most common size for tanks under 200 gallons in the US. I would much rather have seen their lineup be 1/4", 3/4", 1", and 2" rather than the 1/2" or even better just add the 3/4" sensor to the lineup. They would sell like hotcakes.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Okay so this thread has caught my attention. I just purchased a COR-15 for my manifold pump. Coming off the pump I want to run 1.25” pipe but I want to add a flow sensor. If I understand this thread, the best solution (really the only solution) is to purchase the 2” and reduce it down to 1.25”.

is this correct logic?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by svandive View Post
    Okay so this thread has caught my attention. I just purchased a COR-15 for my manifold pump. Coming off the pump I want to run 1.25” pipe but I want to add a flow sensor. If I understand this thread, the best solution (really the only solution) is to purchase the 2” and reduce it down to 1.25”.

is this correct logic?

thanks
    I would reduce down to 1" and then just run 1" the rest of the way into the aquarium. The difference in head loss between a 1" and 2" pipe isn't enough to be worth the hassle and all the extra fittings will cancel out any gain from using the 2" in the first place.

Regular Vistor
    Well, I have to be honest here.... I already bought all of the pipe and fittings and the whole shebang and didn’t think about the flow sensor sizing.... so it’s either I return all plumbing or just reduce down to the 1.25”... I’m seriously not smart enough about hydrostatic pressure to have done this to gain any advantages in defeating head pressure. I simply went with what seemed easiest and effective. Ha ha ha

but... I’m darn glad to confirm that reducing the flow sensor doesn’t mess anything up.

For the 2nd time today.... thanks for that

Well, I have to be honest here.... I already bought all of the pipe and fittings and the whole shebang and didn’t think about the flow sensor sizing.... so it’s either I return all plumbing or just reduce down to the 1.25”... I’m seriously not smart enough about hydrostatic pressure to have done this to gain any advantages in defeating head pressure. I simply went with what seemed easiest and effective. Ha ha ha

but... I’m darn glad to confirm that reducing the flow sensor doesn’t mess anything up.

For the 2nd time today.... thanks for that
    If you already have 2" pipe and don't want to return it, use a 2" flow sensor, reduce down to 1.25" once to connect to the COR and set the remainder up how you planned. The main point is try to use only one reducer in the setup if possible. The less fittings you use (unions are an exception) than the better your head loss will be. Even more important than the number of fittings is it being run cleanly and easy to maintenance.

Regular Vistor
    I wasn’t terribly clear. The COR-15 has a 1.25” union, and I purchased all the pipe and fittings I need for the manifold all in 1.25” size thinking ok great everything is uniform. However, I didn’t think about the fact the flow sensor i currently have is 1”. So purchasing a 2” flow sensor and reducing it down to 1.25” is what I was planning.

‘’However, now I’m hesitatant as this would officially be two (2) reductions.

COR-15 at 1.25”. Some pipe, then reducer headed in to the 2” flow sensor —> then Reducer coming out of the flow sensor headed to the rest of the manifold.

????

bad idea, or ok?

I wasn’t terribly clear. The COR-15 has a 1.25” union, and I purchased all the pipe and fittings I need for the manifold all in 1.25” size thinking ok great everything is uniform. However, I didn’t think about the fact the flow sensor i currently have is 1”. So purchasing a 2” flow sensor and reducing it down to 1.25” is what I was planning.

‘’However, now I’m hesitatant as this would officially be two (2) reductions.

COR-15 at 1.25”. Some pipe, then reducer headed in to the 2” flow sensor —> then Reducer coming out of the flow sensor headed to the rest of the manifold.

????

bad idea, or ok?
    Either way will reduce flow some. Less so with the 2" flow sensor, but some reduction either way. If you have less than a 125 gallon tank, it honestly won't matter either way since you will need less than 100% in either case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12