Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FMK and 3/4" monitoring

Regular Vistor

FMK and 3/4" monitoring

Can the 1" flow monitor work with 3/4" by using a reducer?

Quote Originally Posted by nhlives View Post
    Can the 1" flow monitor work with 3/4" by using a reducer?
    Yes, that is what you'd do.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I have a Sicce 5.0 pump, which has a 3/4 FPT output, for my return. I got a 3/4" MPT to 1" slip fitting, ran ~8" of 1" pipe, connected the provided sensor, ran another 4" or so up to a 1" to 3/4" elbow and continued on from there.

This may sound complicated, but it was really easy, all the parts are readily available, and it's no worse than if you were going to cut into your existing plumbing anyway. At the end of the day, the plumbing fittings were only a couple of bucks tops.

I did get some funny looks when I was laying everything out on the floor at Home Depot, but that's to be expected

Regular Vistor
    Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question.
    Are there measurements available for the 1" flow meter? I am building manifold with my two reactors now and want to leave room for the meter. All I need is length. I have already pre-ordered the item.

Frequent Visitor
    It's about 9" in length including the two provided fittings.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlovisolo View Post
    It's about 9" in length including the two provided fittings.
    Is there a site you got this information from ?

Frequent Visitor
    No, I have a kit from the NSI program so I crawled under my tank with a tape measure and checked.

Regular Vistor
    Awesome !!! Thank you. I am going to build my manifold now and just include two unions 9" apart so when the meter is release I just can install it.

Frequent Visitor
    No problem! The unions are BSPT, so you can't use regular Home Depot unions. They are slip, so something like a 7" gap between your pipe ends would be required to allow room to attach and glue the fittings. I will post a picture of my installation

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure if Tapatalk is cooperating with pictures, but it's 9 inches from the top of the first grey union to the bottom of the second. So with roughly 1" extending into each union, a 7" gap is required.

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor
    Actually, a better option might be to leave a good amount of straight pipe in your manifold, and cut it after you get the kit just to be safe.

Regular Vistor
    Nice the picture helps out a lot. Do you think I can just use my own 3/4" unions and then add reducer bushings to the meter? This way if I measure out 8-9" I can just add more pvc pipe. Not sure if I am making sense.

Frequent Visitor
    I think I know what you're talking about. This is what I did with one of my half inch sensors:

I used my own 1/2" unions above and below the sensor, so that if I wanted to move it I could. So, if you used your own 3/4" unions, added a 3/4" -> 1" after that, 1" pipe to the sensor, 1" pipe out of the sensor then 1" -> 3/4" to another union, no reason that wouldn't work. It is more complicated though and may take up more space. Not sure what your space allowance looks like but it is feasible.

New User
    how do i make a new thread?

Regular Vistor
    Thanks. You been a great help. Hopefully Neptune will release it soon. Spoke to Bulkreefsupply and they said it could be in the next two weeks.

Frequent Visitor
    Not a problem, happy to help. Just make sure you leave enough space and flexibility for the unknown. I went through several iterations of "ideas" before I finally took everything to the store and laid it out on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by detlev1986 View Post
    how do i make a new thread?
    On the forum home page you will see a list of forums. Look at them all. Then choose the one which is most applicable based on the topic of the new thread you want to create. Click the name of the forum to enter it. You will then see a gray Start New Thread button near the upper left.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Did you glue the unions to the meter ?

Frequent Visitor
    No, you're supposed to use a thread paste RectorSeal 5. I found it locally no problem.

Regular Vistor
    I am not really good with plumbing but if I use a union slip x slip now and when I get the meter can I replace it with a union slip x thread and just use the threaded part of the union and connect it with the existing union ?

Frequent Visitor
    I don't think so, when I tried this with my 1/2" sensor, I found out that different union manufacturers have different thread characteristics on the mating pieces, so I had to scrap some things I had done with Amazon unions and go get them from Lowes.

Regular Vistor
    This is so frustrating !

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    Did you glue the unions to the meter ?
    The 1/2", 1", and 2" sensors are threaded (BSP). The supplied fittings are BSP thread by slip. The slip side gets cemented.

Frequent Visitor
    What brand are the unions so I can match the threading between the two union sides. And I assume Sch. 80?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast