Thread: Erratic temp readings...(but only at certain time of day)

New User

Erratic temp readings...(but only at certain time of day)

Some background info for ya first. About 2 weeks ago I constructed a new retro light rack consisting of 3- 250w halides and 4 single bulb T5 actinic units. The T5 units are fully self contained Reef Brights and the halides are 3 Luxcore ballasts. Everything is new. I basically replaced a light rack I've had on my system for 5+ years with one a bit larger for more coverage. All aluminum frame construction.

Temp readings started going haywire when I installed the new lights. At first I didn't make the connection. My temp probe was about 7 years old so I figured it just crapped out on me. Ordered 2 new ones. Replaced the old one and thing worked fine again but only for a couple days. Then erratic readings again.

Over the past several days I've noticed a pattern. My halides are set to come on daily at 12:30pm and shut off at 10:30pm. As soon as they turn on the temp reading instantly drops to about 65 degrees. When they shut off at 10:30 temp readout returns to normal at roughly 77. T5's on or off don't effect readings. So I'm thinking RF interference right? But everything related to the halides are several feet away from both the brain controller and temp probe/wire. Puzzling

But here's the kicker... I also noticed that whenever I turn off the return pump for feedings or whatever the temp reading drops to ~ 25 degrees. When return pump is turned back on the reading climbs back up to about 65 again. At 10:30pm when halides go off temp readouts return to normal and remain normal all night long until next day when halides come back on. any ideas? I have since ordered and received a new control module. Worst case scenario I'll have a backup now. I have tens of thousands invested and am not willing to lose it over a $300 part.

In the pic below the flat line is over night consistency. The first dip is halide on time and the 2 deep dips are the 2 10min daily feedings. Feb 16-18 is when I installed the new probe.

Any thoughts/ ideas are welcome. Thanks

That's really weird. My train of thought was exactly the same as yours as I was reading. Even if the probe was getting interference from the return pump next to it, which would make sense, it doesn't explain the lights. Personally I'd change the module and see what happens.

New User
    Played around a bit last night. Found out that if halides are off I can shut off return pump to feed without any effect on the temp readouts. But when halides are still on and I shut off return pump it makes temp readouts even wackier. Bizarre. Some how some way I'm thinking it's gotta be the halides causing the issue.

What is the return pump you use?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Reeflo Snapper

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Reeflo Snapper
    Well, that rules out my tentative idea about how the pump might be a factor. NM..
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Russ do you have a link that explains how to transfer my backup settings to my new control module? Once I read up how to do it I'll swap the old brain for the new one I just bought and see what happens. Thanks

Russ do you have a link that explains how to transfer my backup settings to my new control module? Once I read up how to do it I'll swap the old brain for the new one I just bought and see what happens. Thanks
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ts-or-APEX-JRs

This really does not sound like a Apex base unit hardware issue to me. Have you tried plugging the Luxcore ballasts into a regular outlet instead of the Energy (as I assume you are using), as a test to narrow it down further?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ts-or-APEX-JRs

This really does not sound like a Apex base unit hardware issue to me. Have you tried plugging the Luxcore ballasts into a regular outlet instead of the Energy (as I assume you are using), as a test to narrow it down further?
    I haven't yet. I will tho just won't have time to play around till the end of the week probably. Ty for the link.

So last night about 9:30 I'm watching tv and every light on my system suddenly goes out. Nothing else, just lights out. All of them. I was like wth? 4 halides and 4 T5 fixtures. All at the same time. Halides aren't programmed to shut down till 10:30 & T5's at 11:30. All 8 lights have their own plug and they are plugged into 2 different Energy Bars. Strange. All clocks are synced. And even if they weren't I have shut down times staggered 2 mins apart for each light.

So last night about 9:30 I'm watching tv and every light on my system suddenly goes out. Nothing else, just lights out. All of them.
    Could it have been due to high temp? Do you have anything like If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF in the lighting outputs?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Could it have been due to high temp? Do you have anything like If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF in the lighting outputs?

Normally yes but the temp readings are always lower than actual with lights on and I just checked the log graph. There no spikes recorded at all.

New User
    I have the same problem.
    I just bought 2 new Luxcore 150/250 ballast and a used Lumatek 250/400 for the middle. I have a PM1 expansion box and when I switch on or off the Luxcore it does the same thing you have described here. When I switch the Lumatek it is rock solid. It only affects the PM1 temp probe.