Thread: Heater stays off after electrical outage

New User

Heater stays off after electrical outage

Fallback is set to on. Can anyone tell me why my heater stayed off after an electrical outage? Why wouldnt it just start working like everything else?

Thanks

Fallback does not come into play in a power outage. See this sticky to learn about Fallback: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...About-FALLBACK

Your post contains insufficient information for anyone to help you. For starters, post the entire program for the heater outlet.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I have the heater in outlet 2. The icon is thermometer. Control type heater. Log enabled. Fallback on. Probe name temp. On at 78.6. Off at 82.

I checked my log and it says at 1620 set off. On the fusion homepage the outlet is on auto. At 1628 theres a log that says the heater came on when the temp dropped past the set temp 78.6, but my wife said the heater wasnt on.

Why wouldnt it just come back on when the power came back on?

It should, when your wife says it was off how did she establish that? Looking at the outlet in Fusion (maybe a refresh issue)?

If it wasn't on, what process did you use to turn it back on/resume programming afterwards?

New User
    The temp was dropping for one. My alarm went off. Second the thermostat for the heater was off so it was def not getting power. I told her to plug it into a normal outlet and it worked fine.

New User
    My refugium light is running out of apex and it works fine. I havent plugged the heater back into apex too scared. Its not doing what i bought it to do.

Frequent Visitor
    Change your control type to advanced, which will thenshow you the actual code that the wizard helped you create. Post that code so we can make sure there isn't something else messing you up

New User
    From what i have seen in my testing, if the heater is on auto and the power gets turned off it wont come back on when the power is regained. If i have it set to on it will come back on. Does that sound right? It just needed set to on instead of auto?

Frequent Visitor
    No, that's not right, set to on overrides all other programming and will leave the outlet on indefinitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mps026 View Post
    From what i have seen in my testing, if the heater is on auto and the power gets turned off it wont come back on when the power is regained.
    The heater outlet will not turn until the temp drops below the ON temp value. It will then stay on until the temp hits the OFF temp value. It will remain off until the temp once again drops to the ON value, and so on. This is how the Apex operates a outlet when it is programmed to operate between high and low thresholds.

After a power outage, it is expected that the heater outlet won't turn on if the temp is within the configured operating range. It will come on when the temp drops enough.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Advanced programming...

Fallback on
    If temp < 78.6 then on
    If temp > 81 then off

New User
    My normal temp is 79.4

New User
    Russ ty for ur post but thats plain stupid that it wouldnt just be in the same state when electric was regained. The temp shouldnt have to drop for it to get turned back on.

Why would you expect the heater to turn on when the temp is within the normal operating range you have told it to use? The temp was good (was not below the ON threshold you set), so the Apex did not turn on the outlet.

New User
    The heater has a thermostat that displays the temp and regulates the water temp. It does an excellent job at keeping the temp within .2 degrees. To me apex is a failsafe if the heater fails. I dont want it constantly controlling the heater. I just want it to step in if the heater fails isnt that normal?

New User
    I dont expect the heater to turn on but the outlet should have power so the heater can do its job.

In that case, then you would not want the Apex to be running the way is it. The heater wizard you used is for use when the Apex is providing primary heater control.

In the heater outlet, choose Advanced. Replace the existing programming with some that keeps the heater on all the time except when the temp exceeds the desired high temp point.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp > 82.0 Then OFF

Modify the 82.0 value as desired.

Frequent Visitor
    Might be a dumb question but... If the heater is doing it's thing as the primary control, do you have an Apex temp probe plugged in?

the "temp" in your code actually refers to a temperature probe. If there is no prove your theoretical temp could be anything

New User
    Yes i have a temp probe