Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom breakout box

Frequent Visitor

Custom breakout box

I made myself a breakout box for my new tank. I purchased most of the components but designed the enclosure and then made it on a 3D printer. I think it turned out great and I no longer have to share the ground terminal with multiple switches!

Regular Vistor
    Nice! How much you selling those for ;-P :-)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Control Freak In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinscrew View Post
    Nice! How much you selling those for ;-P :-)

No Doubt, very nice

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks! Here it is in CAD.

Regular Vistor
    Avast Marine makes something similar to this.

Harry

Control Freak In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
    Avast Marine makes something similar to this.

Harry
    It looks nice and the price isn't rediculous either! Thanks for the information

Regular Vistor
    Ok so I tried my owncustomize breakout box. I located a project box, and eight pin mini DIN cable (female end). The problem is that I know not which of the 8 colored wires corresponds with the ground! Can anyone please point me in the right direction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotfrogs View Post
    I made myself a breakout box for my new tank. I purchased most of the components but designed the enclosure and then made it on a 3D printer. I think it turned out great and I no longer have to share the ground terminal with multiple switches!
    I Need help with finding the ground for the BoB 8 pin dinn

Regular Vistor
    You can probably watch Avast Marines DIY breakout box assembly video. See if that helps you. Might have to use a multimeter in the conductivity mode if that doesn't help.

Frequent Visitor
    It is probably the non-insulated wire.

Red - Pin 1 - Input #1
    Brown - Pin 2 - Input #2
    Green - Pin 3 - Input #3
    Yellow - Pin 4 - Input #4
    Orange - Pin 5 - Input #5
    Grey - Pin 6 - Input #6
    Purple - not used
    Blue - Pin 8 - Ground

Check with continuity to make sure your colors are standard. The pin number is the driving factor, not the color of cable, but this is the color code if it's standard. It's possible your purple is ground if you only have 7 conductors.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    It is probably the non-insulated wire.
    There are no insulated wires. I bought a 8 pin mini din and a project box from RadioShack. Only prob is I don't know which wire/pin is ground

Quote Originally Posted by pdisner View Post
    There are no insulated wires. I bought a 8 pin mini din and a project box from RadioShack. Only prob is I don't know which wire/pin is ground

If the wires aren't insulated it's not gonna work. I have a feeling they really are insulated and you just didn't notice it (they could be epoxy coated which goes on clear). Look up "mini din 8 pinout" then take a multimeter on the continuity setting and check to see which one beeps to pin 8

Regular Vistor
    Sorry, I meant to say that they are ALL insulated. I have a multimeter, but unsure exactly how to check...you just attach one lead to pin 8 and other lead just check each wire until I get any activity on the meter...right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pdisner View Post
    Sorry, I meant to say that they are ALL insulated. I have a multimeter, but unsure exactly how to check...you just attach one lead to pin 8 and other lead just check each wire until I get any activity on the meter...right?

Yep. Make sure the leads beep when you touch the two together first. Saves you a headache if the meter happens to be on the wrong setting.

Regular Vistor
    Mine doesn't beep audibly. Just meter

Then set it on resistance and you know it's the right wire when the resistance is near 0.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Then set it on resistance and you know it's the right wire when the resistance is near 0.

So I'm getting a -9.4 or so...what's happening? Sorry to seem so ignorant. I don't know where I'm going wrong. By the way, which pin on the Apex side is the ground? If there is 8 pins, what happens with the xtra wire?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

So instead of going to zero, it goes to -9.35 or something. I'm confused. This is so simple yet I'm having the hardest time. It has to do with figuring out which ones are my ground/commonon both the apex and the eight pin.

If you are reading a negative voltage, then it most likely that you have the voltmeter leads backwards or reversed on the pins. The pin-outs are in the this thread, and it also shows + & -
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Where did you buy this from?

Do you also have a wiring diagram?

Thanks!

Regular Vistor
    get your meter to test Ohm's(resistant)

put the leads of your meter together and see what the meter reads, this is the same readings you wand to see when you test the cable pins

find pin 8 in your mini din (who has a layout for the mini din) and connect the one lead tho this pin and de other lead to the end of the cable en find the correct one, where the meter gets the same reading as before the other ones will give no readings

Regular Vistor
    hi does any one have a link on how to program sw1-6? I am not getting any response from apex once the sw are closed. I am shorting out the wire and apex does noting.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitecrawler View Post
    hi does any one have a link on how to program sw1-6? I am not getting any response from apex once the sw are closed. I am shorting out the wire and apex does noting.
    Switches themselves are Inputs and cannot be "programmed". On the Apex, all programming is done on Outputs. For example, if you want to turn an output off when Sw1 is closed, use this:

Set ON
    If Sw1 CLOSED Then OFF

As for the display not showing the switch closed, keep in mind Fusion is a web site that has about a 30-60 second delay when something changes on the Apex before it shows the change on the dashboard screen. But the Apex itself reacts to the change within 1-2 seconds and the output will turn off. If you want a faster response on your screen, use the Apex.Local dashboard instead of Fusion.

Regular Vistor
    this is what I got, so basically I just want the apex to do what ever I tell is when it sees a close loop.

I added that command line to the skimmer and nothing happened.Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 3.32.14 PM.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast