Thread: Turn on a powerhead when the DOS is dosing

New User

Lightbulb Turn on a powerhead when the DOS is dosing

Hi All,

I have programing question. I currently have a DOS that is dosing calcium and alkalinity. It's running on the tbl program and dosing calcium during the day, alkalinity at night. I have a small powerhead in the sump right under where the solutions drip in. What I'd like to do is have the powerhead turn on right before the DOS starts dosing, stay on while the DOS is dosing and then turn off a minute after the DOS is done dosing to help mix the solutions into the water column. Any ideas on this? I tried something like this:

Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Outlet dKH = ON Then ON
    If Outlet Calcium = ON Then ON
    If Temp > 81.0 Then OFF

But the powerhead just stayed on the entire time. Hoping you guys can help me out!

Casey Levinger

You need to use If Time statements to coordinate the pump operation with the programmed DŌS intervals.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Build a virtual outlet that is on 1 minute before you want to start dosing to the time you want to stop dosing. For example if you want to dose 9 to 9:05

vDose
    Set OFF
    If Time 08:59 to 09:04 Then ON

Remember this will not go off until after 09:04:59 so it is really 9:59 to 9:05

In the outlet that does the dKH
    If Outlet vDose = ON then ON
    Defer 01:00 Then ON

This will turn on the doser 1 minute after the start of the interval and keep it on for the rest which will be 9 to 9:05

In the outlet that controls the power head
    Fallback OFF
    If Outlet vDose = ON Then ON
    Defer 01:00 Then OFF

This will turn the power head on for the interval, 1 minute before dosing, and keep it on for 1 minute after the interval.

If you want to do this on 2 different schedules build 2 vDoses and use the second in the outlet for the Calcium outlet and also stick vDose2 in the power head.

You can put the Temp in the power head and if the temp is high it will not start but if it goes high while the outlet is on then it will not shut down for 1 minute, probably not a problem.

If you want to change the time it is in only one place so you can not change it in the dosing outlet and forget to change it in the power head outlet.

The other way to do it is to put the time statement in 2 places, add the extra time to the power head, and be sure to remember to change both of them if you make any changes.

New User
    Hi All,

Thanks for the input here. I think I may need to have been a little more clear. I am using the DOS dosing pump and the wizard to set up dosing. This means that my dosing schedule looks like this:

Fallback OFF
    tdata 00:00:00,1,21,0,10,2,88,47,0,10,2,88,10,0
    tdata 16:00:00,1,21,0,10,2,88,47,0,10,2,28,10,0
    If pH > 8.50 Then OFF

So basically my dkh dosing is "on" from midnight to 8am and then again from 4pm to midnight (calcium is dosed between 8am and 4pm to avoid precipitation) but what I'm trying to do is not have the powerhead on the whole time the dosing schedule is set up. From looking at the logging, it looks like the DOS turns on for about 30 seconds every 10 minutes. So what I would want the events to look like is this:

00:00:00 - DOS begins dosing DKH solution
    00:00:00 - Powerhead turns on
    00:00:30 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:01:30 - Power turns off
    00:10:00 - DOS begins dosing DKH solution
    00:10:00 - Powerhead turns on
    00:10:30 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:11:30 - Power turns off

And so on and so forth. The other thing I'd like to have the program do is to automatically adjust if I change the amount that I'm dosing. So for instance, let's say that I change my dosing from 50ml to 100ml. That would double the amount of time the DOS is running for (this is all theoretical btw, not real numbers). So, without having to update the powerhead outlet, I'd want the chain of events to automatically update to this:

00:01:00 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:02:00 - Power turns off00:00:00 - DOS begins dosing DKH solution
    00:11:00 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:12:00 - Power turns off

And the last thing would be if I were to press the button on the DOS, I'd want the powerhead to immediately start running and then keep running for 60 seconds after I released the button.

Hopefully this explains better what I'm looking for. Am I SOL or is there a way that this could be accomplished? Thanks!

Casey

New User

Any Answer?

I would like to do the same thing you explain here. Turn the power head in the sump on only when the DOS is actively dosing (perhaps a few seconds before and 1 minute after. What did you figure out?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlne View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for the input here. I think I may need to have been a little more clear. I am using the DOS dosing pump and the wizard to set up dosing. This means that my dosing schedule looks like this:

Fallback OFF
    tdata 00:00:00,1,21,0,10,2,88,47,0,10,2,88,10,0
    tdata 16:00:00,1,21,0,10,2,88,47,0,10,2,28,10,0
    If pH > 8.50 Then OFF

So basically my dkh dosing is "on" from midnight to 8am and then again from 4pm to midnight (calcium is dosed between 8am and 4pm to avoid precipitation) but what I'm trying to do is not have the powerhead on the whole time the dosing schedule is set up. From looking at the logging, it looks like the DOS turns on for about 30 seconds every 10 minutes. So what I would want the events to look like is this:

00:00:30 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:01:30 - Power turns off
    00:10:00 - DOS begins dosing DKH solution
    00:10:30 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:11:30 - Power turns off

And so on and so forth. The other thing I'd like to have the program do is to automatically adjust if I change the amount that I'm dosing. So for instance, let's say that I change my dosing from 50ml to 100ml. That would double the amount of time the DOS is running for (this is all theoretical btw, not real numbers). So, without having to update the powerhead outlet, I'd want the chain of events to automatically update to this:

00:01:00 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:02:00 - Power turns off00:00:00 - DOS begins dosing DKH solution
    00:11:00 - DOS stops dosing DKH solution
    00:12:00 - Power turns off

And the last thing would be if I were to press the button on the DOS, I'd want the powerhead to immediately start running and then keep running for 60 seconds after I released the button.

Hopefully this explains better what I'm looking for. Am I SOL or is there a way that this could be accomplished? Thanks!

Casey

It is not possible to use an If Output <DOSpump> statement to test the state of the DOS in order to coordinate the running of a power head with dosing activity.

Leave the powerhead on all the time if you feel you must use one. I don’t see a reason to do that; position the dosing lines into an area of high flow and it should be fine. I have mine positioned above the filter sock area where there is rapid water movement.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.