Thread: DOS/DDR for Phytofeast, Rotifeast and Arctipods

New User

DOS/DDR for Phytofeast, Rotifeast and Arctipods

Good evening,

I have a 500 gallon display tank with all sorts of fish, critters & corals (see photo), a huge sump refugium and a whole bunch of Neptune Systems products; however I am still a newbie to much of this and utilize a service to come onsite once a week to care for everything.

I currently have a DOS for AWC and we are discussing the idea of adding (2) additional DOS and (2) DDR to automatically feed Phytofeast, Rotifeast and Arctipods. Obviously we would need to keep the Phytofeast, Rotifeast and Arctipods cold, so I was going to buy some type of refrigerator to house the (2) DDR’s and fill 3 of the 4 DDR reservoirs with the above mentioned food (the exact use of the 4th reservoir is TBD).

Is anyone using DOS / DDR to feed Phytofeast, Rotifeast and Arctipods?

I was looking at compact refrigerators but it sounds like many of the compact refrigerator manufactures have gone to something called “chill plates”, which I think basically means drilling through the sides, back or top (for the feed tubes) unfeasible.

I have heard that perhaps using a wine refrigerator would be better then a compact refrigerator but I have not looked into these yet.

In closing, one of my multiple concerns is if the tubes would properly clear when running the DOS backwards after a feeding (since it would only be pumping “air” backwards).

In theory this would be a fantastic solution but with the things mentioned above (plus other concerns I have) perhaps I should not pursue implementing this type of install...

I sure would value hearing feedback from folks and thank you for your help!

IMG_0292.jpg

Beautiful tank and an interesting application. I see the issue with needing to "rewind" the pumps so you don't have live dosing die in the tubes. I don't _think_ that would be an issue, but someone at Neptune might able to comment on the long term issues.

As for the cooling solution, maybe try to cool the DDR containers directly? I'm not sure how cold the product needs to be, but could you use something like those water cooled vests? Or maybe even sink the DDR's in a cooler with some kind of active cooling element?

I would also be curious if you need to "stir" the product before dosing. Don't copepods and phyto tend to "settle" at the bottom?

Frequent Visitor
    Rather than go through the sides of the refrigerator how about cutting out a small, slightly larger than the tube, section of the door gasket and running the lines through there. Not through the gasket but against the refrigerator and when the door is closed the tubes will fit into the cuts in the gasket.

If the ends of the tubes are above the water I do not see any problem reversing the pumps to suck back liquid until it is in the fridge. You, the guys who take care of the beautiful tank, will have to do some tests to see how long the pump needs to run in reverse to suck it back to the fridge and how much extra time you need to run the pump to get the liquid back to the tank.

New User
    Thanks Justin and p7willm, the display tank is in my home office and I do enjoy looking at it when I work.

I read somewhere that maybe if we ran the DOS backwards / "rewind" before feeding, perhaps that might stir-up the settled stuff at the bottom... then run it to feed. Then rewind again to clear the lines.

I am going to do more research and hopefully more users will chime-in with additional thoughts and suggestions.

-Steven

Frequent Visitor
    At feeding time you might run the DOS to almost fill the tubes then reverse them back to stir up the stuff then forward them to feed the tank and then reverse back into the fridge.

Frequent Visitor
    Did anyone try this or just discussion?

Director, Customer Experience Paul's Avatar
    Yes.

I have we have a customer that does several liquid foods in refrigeration. I made a video of how to do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ZtkcN4H-A&t=13s

Frequent Visitor
    Sweet thanks Paul! I used to watch every Neptune Systems video that came out, but since my daughter was born a few months before that video I haven't had as much time.

Frequent Visitor
    Really looking for more hands on real world experience than the programming side of things. I'm curious how often lines jam, how quickly the tubing needs cleaned/replaced, how large of foods can be added in this way, and what other unknown variables there are I may not have thought about. I could see the setup taking some time and then I imagine things could get messy easily. I'm considering dosing food from a single vessel and using a second vessel containing RODI to flush the line using one way check valves or solenoids. I've had various plans in my head for years, but it's time to get something down on paper then make it happen.

Director, Customer Experience Paul's Avatar
    In the situations I have seen no rinsing is required, the tubing is replaced every other month. Feeds 6 times per day varying amounts. Feeds Mysis, Acrtic, Phyto and Oyster feast.

In the Phyto, that is best to be stirred with with a stir plate 15 minutes before the feeding.

A single vessel approach IMO would be best for storage purpose. That is how reef nutrition designed it.

Paul

New User
    Paul, I have watched your video and it was incredibly helpful. I would like to know the code to have the dos run in reverse before it feeds to stir up the contents. Any help is appreciated.