Thread: Heater / Tmp probe issues

New User

Question Heater / Tmp probe issues

I have the new WiFi Apex. I have my heater set to turn on at 79 and off at 80. In the last few weeks the temp has dropped down to as low as 77 before the heater come on. I have a RedSea XL525 with a 300 watt heater in the sump. The off temp works OK. Is it possible that the last firmware update might have screwed things up? I checked with tech support, they logged int my fusion account, and seemed to thing the system was working properly. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jon Blake

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblake View Post
    I have the new WiFi Apex. I have my heater set to turn on at 79 and off at 80. In the last few weeks the temp has dropped down to as low as 77 before the heater come on. I have a RedSea XL525 with a 300 watt heater in the sump. The off temp works OK. Is it possible that the last firmware update might have screwed things up? I checked with tech support, they logged int my fusion account, and seemed to thing the system was working properly. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jon Blake
    Can you show the code for your heaters outlet?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor

Heater / Tmp probe issues

Can you post screenshots? That's 108 gallons, correct? What kind of heater are you using? Mine have red lights so I can see when they're on or off to verify.

Honestly, i don't think 300W is enough heat power, I have 2, 500W heaters, on two separate triac outlets, on my 120g tank and they're both on a lot more than I expected. I'd consider upgrading your heaters as well.

If the heater has its own thermostat control, ensure that it set slightly higher that the 80 temp you have the Apex set for.

I've seen the dials on heaters be way off.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlovisolo View Post
    Can you post screenshots? That's 108 gallons, correct? What kind of heater are you using? Mine have red lights so I can see when they're on or off to verify.

Honestly, i don't think 300W is enough heat power, I have 2, 500W heaters, on two separate triac outlets, on my 120g tank and they're both on a lot more than I expected. I'd consider upgrading your heaters as well.
    1000W on 120 gals is way overkill btw...I have 1800W on 750gal

New User
    Thank you all for your response. The issue is that I set the on temp for 79 degrees, but my heater may not come until the temp reads lower than that maybe 2 or 3 degrees lower. It turns off at 80. Before I had the Apex, the temp on the heater was set to 83 degrees. KrazyKuch, when you asked "Can you show the code for your heaters outlet?", I'm not sure what you need.

Jon Blake

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
    1000W on 120 gals is way overkill btw...I have 1800W on 750gal

Probably, but my tank is in the basement. When not occupied, heat is off and it gets down in the viewing area to the low 60s and mid 60's in the tank room. Plus, if one heater fails, the other is sufficient to keep it from bottoming out. The cost difference between the 300W and 500W was only a couple of bucks so I felt it was worth it.

Doesn't affect the electric bill, amount of energy required won't change too much between the 300 and 500W units.

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you all for your response. The issue is that I set the on temp for 79 degrees, but my heater may not come until the temp reads lower than that maybe 2 or 3 degrees lower. It turns off at 80. Before I had the Apex, the temp on the heater was set to 83 degrees. KrazyKuch, when you asked "Can you show the code for your heaters outlet?", I'm not sure what you need.

Jon Blake
    Show what you have for programming on the heater outlet..take a screen shot and post it here

I'm assuming you have a sump and the probe is in the sump somewhat close to the heaters? Reason I ask is because my tank is 2 degrees cooler then my sump temp. I want my tank 78 so my sump is 80. And like Russ said, my heaters are set at 82. Not 82 according to the dial but actual temp. So when you say it's 77, you're referring to the apex reading that number and in the sump with the heater? Like stated maybe your heater isn't strong enough to heat before dropping a few degrees. According to the code that's correct.

Frequent Visitor
    In the programming section for the outlet, make,sure the logging feature is clicked on. Then use that to graph the outlet state vs. temperature.

It could be that the thermometer turns on but that the temp contimues to drop for a bit, until the added heat takes affect.

As for posting your code, in the outlet control type, set it to advanced, that will then show you the code that the wizard set up. Copy that and paste it here for others to comment on.

New User
    Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Tmp < 79.0 Then ON
    If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Tmp < 79.0 Then ON
    If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF
    That looks good....is your temp probe before or after your heater? Also can you post a screen shot of your temp graph? I wonder how fast your water is cooling off. If the temp drops quickly it would explain why your temp gets down to 77 before heating up. Example if your heater turns on when it hit 78.9 you water might be cooling off while your heater is trying to get up to temperature.

Fallback ON
    Set OFF
    If Tmp < 79.0 Then ON
    If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF
    This is not good programming for heater operation. Delete the Set OFF statement, which is causing the If Tmp > 80 line to never come into play. See the Understanding the Set Command post here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ad-This-Thread!
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.