Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: salinity probe reading wrong

New User

salinity probe reading wrong

I set up my new apex tonight it took 2 times to calibrate the salinity probe then it was reading 18.9 so I re calibrated it again now it is reading 42.5 has anyone had problems with the accuracy of the salinity probes should I re calibrate again?

New User
    Yep I setup my new apex last night and it is off but not as bad as yours. Mine is reading 37.6 but my refrectometer says it is 34. I rechecked my refractometer with the checking solution and it is perfect so it is not my meter.

New User
    I am having that same issue. Fist time i got it running out of the box it was showing 50+. Then it started showing 40+ after i recalibrate. Been adding quite a bit or rodi slowly over time and its still showing 40+. This salinity probe is useless.

New User
    re calibrated a 3rd time still reading 40

New User
    After dumping a bunch of rodi and taking out tank water, probe still read around 40+. It lower a little like .01-.03 but then bounce back up. Went over to a friend's to check my sample on his Milwaukee refractometer and it was showing 1.025 through mutiple test. Fyi i just got the apex and just set everything up on Monday. Today still reading constant salinity at 40+ no matter what i do. I wonder what can we do for the Neptune's people to chime in about this.

Frequent Visitor
    Some people have found that letting the probe soak in the tank for 1-2 weeks then calibrating helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    I have the same issue. Best thing I've found (which I haven't done yet b/c I don't have a refrac) is to actually calibrate it while it's mounted (if your water is where you want it). Then the change of the prob is detecting if the salt is rising or lowering vs how you had it at the time you calibrated. Tech support recommended I do this as well. *shrug*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New User
    wow that really did the trick Hardwerk. My salinity reads 34.9 now. I am waiting on the 35ppt solution to arrive to calibrate my hand held refractomer to see if the probe is reading correctly. Thanks for the tip!

New User
    According to the Salinity conversion chart Apex sent me, it seems like it should be reading a conductivity of 50.613 in order to achieve the SG of 1.025. Of course, then this throws off the whole scale and alarm setup of the Apex. Here's the link they gave me for the conversion. They told me conductivity was different than salinity. Now I'm totally confused on what it should be reading. I know mine calibrated perfectly according to their instructions.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...Conversion.php

New User
    That doesn't work for me. Mine 39-41 for the past few days. I was planning to let it soak a month or so and then recalibrate it.

I dont know if I should trust any of the probes other than temp. ORP says it is over 450...it started at 275 and climbed since it was plugged in almost 2 weeks ago. Ph does seem to be accurate compared to my read sea kit and tested temp probe with a separate thermometer.

New User
    Hmm just remembered that my probes are in my refugium and since I got a new Kessil h380 light in there the chaeto is really thick. That could be the reason for my high ORP readings. Time to think out the chaeto.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstansell View Post
    According to the Salinity conversion chart Apex sent me, it seems like it should be reading a conductivity of 50.613 in order to achieve the SG of 1.025. Of course, then this throws off the whole scale and alarm setup of the Apex. Here's the link they gave me for the conversion. They told me conductivity was different than salinity. Now I'm totally confused on what it should be reading. I know mine calibrated perfectly according to their instructions.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...Conversion.php

By default it's PPT so that is why the alarming etc.. doesn't match the conductivity.

New User
    I talked to tech support and they said if the probe is reading 34.8-35.2 while its in the 53ms soultion then its calibrated right kinda pisses me off I was dismissed about this now I changed it over to my frag system and the eb832 has a flashing yellow light when I first plug it in then it changes to solid yellow and nothing work I am regreting spending so much money on a new apex

New User
    The same here... set up my New Apex 2 weeks ago with a succesfull calibration, salt probe shows 38 and refractomter says 33. Should I do something?

New User
    I ordered more salinity solution and recalibrated mine and it now reads perfectly. I had to do the same for the ph.

Frequent Visitor
    I installed my 2016 apex in January, calibrated many times - still can't get it to read correctly. Still reads around 30

New User
    I think it's very important to let the solution soak in the tank for about 15 minutes and then take a cup of the tank water to keep the solution in while you are calibrating. Temperature plays a huge factor in calibration.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstansell View Post
    I think it's very important to let the solution soak in the tank for about 15 minutes and then take a cup of the tank water to keep the solution in while you are calibrating. Temperature plays a huge factor in calibration.
    If that is true, it should definitly be mensioned in the 'get started' manual for Apex 2016...

New User
    I also have had all kinds of trouble with the salinity probe.
    However, I came to the conclusion that it shouldn't be called
    a "salinity probe" but rather a "conductivity probe".
    And yes, the alarm on the apex is completely off,
    as we need a conductivity of 50 to have a specific gravity of 1.025

quick question - is it possible to change the numbers on the actual app/probe
    for it to show salinity or specific gravity instead if conductivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbarrachina View Post
    And yes, the alarm on the apex is completely off,
    as we need a conductivity of 50 to have a specific gravity of 1.025

quick question - is it possible to change the numbers on the actual app/probe
    for it to show salinity or specific gravity instead if conductivity?
    The conductivity/salinity probe port on the Apex (2016) always shows salinity in PPT; it cannot be switched to display SG or mS. Your belief that the alarm range is
    "completely off" is incorrect - it is configured in units of PPT, where 34-35 is the typical/nominal value.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately what you said
    is why everyone in this forum is confused.
    I have manually measured SG and 1.025 corresponds to
    48 on the probe ( conductivity). This point is also
    reinforced on the link to the Hamzas Reef calculator.

Jstansell's post is correct as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sali...cQoCyzeEnIKYM:

New User
    You are correct. The probe measures
    conductivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbarrachina View Post
    You are correct. The probe measures
    conductivity.
    Yes, it does measure conductivity but the Apex converts the internal measurement to the equivalent salinity value expressed in PPT. You can see this on the Inputs page for the base cond/salt probe on the Advanced tab where it shows the range is 0-45 and is in units of PPT.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Keeping the probe and its cable away from any electrical cables will help

New User
    Why does everyone say it measures conductivity? We know that, but he Apex converts it in PPT so we can see it on Fusion. The main problem is that Neptunes Salinity probe is a huge pain. When I first got mine with the new apex a few weeks ago it also read wrong. So what does the normal reefer do? He pulls out his refractometer and checks. In the beginning, my probe said it was 40ppt, but my refractometer read 1.025 or 33ppt. I don't know why my meter at 1.025 is 33ppt. This was not true, if so I had been running my salinity way too high for months and even years. After 2 to 3 days I finally got Apex to ready 35ppt, but after a week and a water change it has risen to 36.6ppt. I even took water out and had my ATO dump RO/DI water to lower the salinity and then I checked with my refractometer and now it says 1.023 or 32ppt. So i guess now I have to either go buy more solution packets or a new refractometer. (Hands thrown in the air)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast