Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: salinity probe reading wrong

Regular Vistor

salinity probe reading wrong

Or get another refractometer, borrow one from a friend, take some of your tank water to your lfs and use one of their refractometers, the problems people have with Apex's salinity/conductivity probes are the exact reason I do not own one, I've used my refractometer for a couple of years now, I trust it for consistency

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
    Or get another refractometer, borrow one from a friend, take some of your tank water to your lfs and use one of their refractometers, the problems people have with Apex's salinity/conductivity probes are the exact reason I do not own one, I've used my refractometer for a couple of years now, I trust it for consistency
    I have, my LFS has a MA887 digital seawater refractometer and is was spot on with mine.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by slaychild View Post
    I have, my LFS has a MA887 digital seawater refractometer and is was spot on with mine.
    Now you have an accurate tool to work with

Keep in mind that it looks like you guys are expecting 0% tolerance out of a device that is at best a +/- 3% device and due to it being conductive can be effected by other conductivity paths either inside the water or run along the cable of the probe.

I find it less important that it be exact and more important that I know what it's normal pattern and trend is so that I can spot anomalies when they occur.

Regular Vistor
    Would there be a way of shielding them from electronic interference?
    When we connect electric motors to variable speed drives at work we use this cable, see that wire mesh? That is a shield that gets grounded to stop those issues with electronic equipment

Regular Vistor
    Mine is bonkers out.. it reads between 19.5 to 19.9 ppt all day long I calibrated it a whole host of times. However it has remained consistent for 3 months so it allows me to see if there are any majors changes. Annoying but it does seem to have some benefit.

New User
    I had the same problem when I first got mine about a month ago. After a week, i order another packet of calibration solution and dropped it in the tank and took out the probe to dry for a few hours. After that, opened the pouch and put the TEMP probe in the calibration solution with the salinity probe to calibrate. After that, it's been perfectly calibrated for about 3 weeks. Hope it helps.

New User
    Yep, same here. Like Turtles said, mine read as low as 1 for a week, and then on my 3rd calibration fluid, after separating the cable from the other probes, it worked flawlessly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I think the best thing to do is to get your salinity at the value you want to maintain tested with a calibrated refractometer and calibrate your probe to that. Then set up a new value table for SG and PPT. From that you can set your alerts. I'm at 27.5 down from 36 after a 10% water change. My water I added was at the perfect SG. I'm recalibrating tonite when I hit 1.024.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by docvinny View Post
    I think the best thing to do is to get your salinity at the value you want to maintain tested with a calibrated refractometer and calibrate your probe to that. Then set up a new value table for SG and PPT. From that you can set your alerts. I'm at 27.5 down from 36 after a 10% water change. My water I added was at the perfect SG. I'm recalibrating tonite when I hit 1.024.
    Not being rude, or dismissive, but that's not the point I don't think, the salinity/conductivity proves should work after a calibration out of the box, I do not own one for this reason, so far my understanding is to make it work properly

1- soak the probe in tank for a week or so
    2- calibrate it
    3- keep it and route it's full length of cable away from any other cables
    4- don't have any stray voltages in tank/sump

Number 4 I can easily understand even though most people wouldn't even know about it, but number 3 is a bit over the top for it in most cases, number 1 to a less of a degree.

When I buy something in a box that should be pretty much plug and play with minimal setup, that's what I should get, that's what we all should get, this is why so many people are repeating the same thing about these probes, if Neptune come out with a new improved trouble free probe I'd buy one even at a higher price, I wouldn't recommend one of these for anybody, unless you are really worried that salinity may change through over fill of top off water or something similar, but in saying that most people would have safeguards against this, my 2cents

Regular Vistor
    I have to admit there is a huge learning curve but some parts of the apex have some huge shortcomings. I don't know if it's really worth $800 if the probes are not accurate. I still find myself using my Red Sea test kit and refractormeter. Just don't know if I'd purchase it again. It's got some kinks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by docvinny View Post
    I have to admit there is a huge learning curve but some parts of the apex have some huge shortcomings. I don't know if it's really worth $800 if the probes are not accurate. I still find myself using my Red Sea test kit and refractormeter. Just don't know if I'd purchase it again. It's got some kinks.
    I agree. I love the Apex when it's working correctly but this thing is way too buggy for the price. It has been far from plug and play for me. I think over time the kinks will get worked out but I don't think I'd purchase it again right now if I had it to do over.

Regular Vistor
    Tried to set up a conductivity probe again today for the third time for our client. We allowed probe to soak in the sump for 2 weeks hoping that would help. Same situation today. Dry reading as 90. No movement to settle. Move to calibrate with 53000 solution, again reading 90 with no movement during "settling" process. Hit OK and the update says it fails and restore default. Probe has been reading 1.4 since May 5 and three visit attempts with about 3-6 tries at this process during each visit. Using a new 53000 probe solution packet each time that has floated for 15 minutes prior to attempt.

Does this sound like a defective probe? Can't isolate the probe any more than it is as it attaches to the 2016 base and feeds over to the Reef Synergy sump with the built-in probe holder just like the other three probes.

Frustrated.

Regular Vistor
    If I understand you correctly, it doesn't read any differently from solution to solution to sump? So that's 3 different liquids and it doesn't move? Have u tried it in a cup/jug/bowl of tank water? Just to eliminate a possibility of stray voltage?

If I understand you correctly, it doesn't read any differently from solution to solution to sump? So that's 3 different liquids and it doesn't move? Have u tried it in a cup/jug/bowl of tank water? Just to eliminate a possibility of stray voltage?
    How could there be stray voltage in a packet of calibration buffer?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewdoggie View Post
    Does this sound like a defective probe?
    Yes, it does - getting the same settling value in both air and 53mS buffer is indicative of a defective or damaged probe. It could also be a problem with the conductivity port, but that less likely than a problem with the other probe itself.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    How could there be stray voltage in a packet of calibration buffer?
    Isn't it a plastic foil type package? I thought u calibrate with those in tank water? So they at the same temp range? I very well could be wrong

Regular Vistor
    No, it doesn't move at all in RO water, saltwater or 53mS solution. Ok, I guess I'll stop wasting my time and open a ticket. This is a brand new probe out of a 2016 Apex kit. It better not be the port or this client is going to lose his mind. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Yes, it does - getting the same settling value in both air and 53mS buffer is indicative of a defective or damaged probe. It could also be a problem with the conductivity port, but that less likely than a problem with the other robe itself.

Regular Vistor
    Yes, it is in a 53mS foil pack as per Neptune Systems. Floated it for temp compensation the same as the pH packets, cut the corner, slipped it in and waited for over 10 minutes...nada. And actually during the 2nd visit I didn't float it and it didn't change anything.
    Isn't it a plastic foil type package? I thought u calibrate with those in tank water? So they at the same temp range? I very well could be wrong

Regular Vistor
    I got mine to "calibrate" with tech support after several attempts. It's been in my sump for about two weeks now and reads anywhere from 37.5-39. I've recalibrated my refractometer and it says I'm right at 1.026 every time I check. The probe doesn't seem real accurate to me.

Regular Vistor
    I'm at 37 right now. Refractometer at 1.023. Now that's not right.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by nmjhd1234 View Post
    wow that really did the trick Hardwerk. My salinity reads 34.9 now. I am waiting on the 35ppt solution to arrive to calibrate my hand held refractomer to see if the probe is reading correctly. Thanks for the tip!
    Not exactly sure what he was saying here. Do you mean to put the probe into the tank water and THEN calibrate it? what does he mean by "water level where you want it"?
    Mine is reading at 34.9 now that I calibrated it a second time.

Regular Vistor
    So when I open fusion what number do I want to see under SALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbydigital View Post
    So when I open fusion what number do I want to see under SALT.
    Settling value or ppt value after calibration?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    On my dashboard what number should I be looking for. 30-35 right? If it says 57 it’s way to high right. My refractometer says I’m at 30ish

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast