Thread: How to program Kalkwasser reactor

New User

How to program Kalkwasser reactor

I want to have my kalkwasser reactor to spin at a specific pH range and only for 3 minutes

Right now my program is as follows:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 08:00 to 8:03 Then On
    Min Time 001:00 Then OFF

The problem with above is my kalkwasser reactor spins even if it still dosing my aquarium, thats why I wanted it to be based on pH and not time. I appreciate the help

Do you have a dosing pump that is running while it doses? If so then just add an If Output (name of dosing pump output) equals ON then OFF to your program and then it won't stir if the dosing pump is running.

You could also reverse that and add the If Output line to your dosing pump if the stirrer is running.

New User
    Thanks for the reply. It is a drip system via the aqua lifter so the drip system turns off when the desired pH is achieved..

Frequent Visitor
    So, when the pH is in a range you want the reactor on for 3 minutes. Only once in all time, Once a day, once a week, once an hour, once every 53 minutes? What pH range?

Regular Vistor
    This is mine, I use a float switch that is slightly above my ro top up switch so the ro tops up and then the kalk tops up to the next switch if the ph drops

Need some help - Setting my Kalk Rector using my Apex?

@dannycellukCare to share a pic of your set up I'm just trying to set up my KALK reactor to turn on and off if my PH hits a certain number, NO MORE THEN THAT ON MY Avast Stirrer.
    Also, I am using a Eshoops doing pump..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or should i set it up like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regular Vistor
    I have two separate ro pipes running to my tank from an ro topup tank. The first ro topup comes on if the water drops below level switch "A" the second turns on a peri pump that feeds my kalk stirrer. I leave the stirrer stirring 24/7 but ro only flows through the reactor if the ph drops below 8.08. The peri pump feeding the kalk stirrer will then stay on until the ph reaches 8.10 or it hits level switch "B" level switch "B" is slightly higher than switch "A"

Quote Originally Posted by dannycelluk View Post
    I have two separate ro pipes running to my tank from an ro topup tank. The first ro topup comes on if the water drops below level switch "A" the second turns on a peri pump that feeds my kalk stirrer. I leave the stirrer stirring 24/7 but ro only flows through the reactor if the ph drops below 8.08. The peri pump feeding the kalk stirrer will then stay on until the ph reaches 8.10 or it hits level switch "B" level switch "B" is slightly higher than switch "A"
    many thanks, care to share a picture of your set up?

Regular Vistor
    It's abit of a mess but I'll see what I can do

Just placed an order for a single paralistic pump from BRS to run my Avast Kalk stir. It's the 50ml per minute pump that will be hooked up to a sperate timer.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 7.11.30 AM.png

Frequent Visitor
    new to the hobby. i would also like to control my kalk by my ph. which is better?

a. the apex doser. would the apex doser be able to dose enough to keep up with the demand of a heavy tank?
    or
    b. small sicce pump with a valve so i can control the flow rate
    both of which would draw ro water
    was also thinking of having some type of switch higher than my ato and would shut off the kalk doser if water gets to high

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    new to the hobby. i would also like to control my kalk by my ph. which is better?

a. the apex doser. would the apex doser be able to dose enough to keep up with the demand of a heavy tank?
    or
    b. small sicce pump with a valve so i can control the flow rate
    both of which would draw ro water
    was also thinking of having some type of switch higher than my ato and would shut off the kalk doser if water gets to high
    I would suggest the BRS 50ml/min dosing pump for a Kalk reactor or the DOS for that purpose (though I personally would get both the DOS for auto water change and get the 50ml/min dosing pump for Kalk if you're gonna spend that kinda dough anyway). You want precision with a Kalk doser so you can more easily maintain parameters. A Sicce pump won't be consistent enough.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I do exactly this. I use the DOS for water change and the BRS 50/ml dosing pump for my Avast kalk stirrer. Love this setup.

NSI Member
    I use a Cole Parmer peristaltic pump rated for continuous duty to dose my kalk and I have a mixing pump separate from that. It stirs for 2 minutes every 2 hours. While it is mixing and for 30 minutes after it stops dosing to let the kalk mix settle. It only shuts off if pH gets too high. I use a virtual outlet to help simplify things.

I find dosing kalk constantly evens out the pH and keeps things nice and steady. It pulls from the same RODI reservoir I use for all my ATO.

Programming below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the programming. Defiantly gonna save it when it comes do.
    I will use a dos set up for sure.
    Just not sure if I should stick with the apex dose or the cole parmer peri
    That one looks expensive but probaly would never break on you tho.

Also have you messed with adding more than normal kalk to you avast? Like 1.5 more or even 2x more? I would think it would be alright since you have it controlled?

NSI Member
    The reason I use the Cole Parmer is they are rated for continuous duty and can run at a constant rate 24 hours a day. The DOS pumps are not rated for continuous duty. I will say, that is not completely necessary. You can dose in larger doses but that does cause swings, however small they are.

DOS have their place for sure. I’ll probably be buying 3 of them in a couple weeks. Probably doing AWC, might be switching to 2 part, and carbon dosing.

Don

Frequent Visitor
    Which exactly is the one you have? I see different ones. Also my display is only 80gallons

Frequent Visitor
    Guess I can keep the dose tweet the setting use them in sequence and still achieve a good flow?
    Maybe not as continuous as your set up. But well with in a steady parameter

Frequent Visitor
    Also my question of over filling the avast marine kalk stirrer. Is that ok. Since it’s controlled?

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    Also my question of over filling the avast marine kalk stirrer. Is that ok. Since it’s controlled?
    Really depends. You will have to test it out to find out how much you can fill it up and how long you need to wait after stirs to prevent sending suspended kalk into the tank. Likely you can fill above the recommended fill line, but to what extent will require investigation.

Frequent Visitor
    Good to know that it’s at least plausible. Will have to experiment. Good thing with the avast marine. It has a ph prob port to keep a eye on it
    Talk to brs yesterday had a good conversation on controlling and what not.
    I will be using the apex doser. As far as how much I will be playing around with it. I don’t want it to run 24/7. But I will be looking at how to keep the parameters tight.

Also I don’t want the avast kalk stirrer in 24/7 either. Maybe just keep it simple. 5min stirr every hour. What do you guys think.
    I saw dcmartinpc with a detailed control on it.
    Just wondering if I can simplify it?

I would do this for the code. You need one VO to add the delay after stirring. The example is a 5 min stir per hour, 10 minute delay after stirring.

Stirrer
    OSC 000:00/005:00/055:00 Then ON

StopDOS
    Set OFF
    If Outlet Stirrer = ON Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then OFF

DOS
    Set the wizard to desired volume per day (remember in this example only 3/4 of that volume will actually be dosed). In the advanced tab add the line

If Outlet StopDOS = ON Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    Saved it. But I’m still learning the lingo
    Don’t know what osc is. Or the other coding mentioned. But it won’t be a problem. I’m still in plumbing phase

NSI Member
    The osc command works like this.

Taking the above example:

OSC 000:00/005:00/055:00 Then ON

The Then ON makes this an off/on/off osc statement.

000:00 is the starting offset “off time”. Meaning how long after midnight do you want the osc command to be off. In this case, 0 minutes and 0 second.

005:00 is the “on time”. The outlet will be on for 5 minutes.

055:00 is how long to stay off again until starting the whole cycle again.

In this example, the cycle totals 1 hour. So it would mix 5 minutes every hour.

The defer statement on the StopDOS virtual outlet keeps the virtual outlet in an “on” state for 10 minutes after the Stirrer outlet turns off.

So the DOS will be off for 15 minutes total every hour.

I hope that helps clear things up!

Don