Thread: Updating from 4.20 and it's not going so good.

Frequent Visitor

Updating from 4.20 and it's not going so good.

OK... I've updated firmware before, but it's been a while. Updating from 4.20.

Doing everything being asked to do. Computer with latest firmware package is hardwired to same router that Apex is hardwired to. Apex has been set to DHCP 'on' and have restarted the Apex and rebooted the router. Computer was restarted in 'Safe Mode with Networking' with all firewalls disabled. The Apex Flash Utility sees the Apex just fine. Set the port number and give it my credentials and this is what I get...

Loading firmware file into memory
    Firmware file load complete...
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector complete...
    The controller address is: 192.168.1.10
    Connecting to controller at address: 192.168.1.10
    Connecting
    Connected, waiting for login prompt
    Login prompt detected, sending user name information
    User name accepted, sending password information
    Waiting for login to be accepted
    Login successful
    Login successful
    Requesting boot loader version information
    Placing Apex in read to receive mode
    Trying to connect: attempt 1
    Waiting for input from Apex, timed out
    Trying to connect: attempt 2
    Trying to connect: attempt 3
    Trying to connect: attempt 4
    Trying to connect: attempt 5
    Trying to connect: attempt 6
    Trying to connect: attempt 7
    Trying to connect: attempt 8

What the heck am I doing wrong? (This stuff is the main reason I don't update firmware! Ugggg.)

Frequent Visitor
    Could it be something to do with my port number? I've got my Apex set up on a different port (not 80) and have port forwarding setup in my router. I'm still using that non-standard port number in the Flash Utility, which is still the port number shown in the Apex. But because I've turned on the DHCP as the instructions noted, and am now at a different address (192.168.1.10 versus my original static IP of 192.168.1.80), is that non-standard port screwing things up?

The http port is not used during the firmware update itself. The port comes into play though when the web pages get updated.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ, and an update... I just now tried the direct connect between my laptop and the Apex and had the same behavior as before - the thing just wouldn't go into bootloader mode. The LED on the base unit never goes orange during the process.

Frequent Visitor
    Just for anyone that's tagging along, turns out my Apex - for whatever reason - wouldn't go into bootloader mode when I was trying to do the firmware update. When you update the firmware, the LED light on the base unit should turn orange at some point showing the unit is in bootloader mode. But mine never did that. Tried a few telnet things with Neptune, and that wouldn't force it either.

In the meantime...

I have a spare base unit from eons ago when I had to have my base unit repaired. The one I'm running now (that won't update) was the new replacement I bought, and my original one was repaired and has been in storage for years.

I drug that one out this morning, connected it to my network, and plugged in my display. Luckily, it had the old 4.20 firmware on it. I deleted all the modules shown on the module setup page. (It was now showing three displays.) I then reloaded my current programming onto it - less the network settings. Everything loaded fine. I then updated the firmware on the spare Apex. Everything loaded fine. Updated the webpages. Everything fine.

So now my spare is running my current programming, with 4.51_2E17 firmware. It was nice to see how the firmware update was *supposed* to happen!! I do *not* have it hooked up to my system at this point - it's just a node on my network. My current Apex is running fine - even though I can't update the web pages.

Question: If I choose to swap out these base units, will the "cloning" feature work for me? While both Apexes are the same model, the current one is running 4.20 firmware. Do both units need to be running the firmware that allows "cloning"?

Or should I just do the "plug the modules in, in the correct order" routine... *if I decide to swap the units out* ?

New User
    We are having the same issue - trying to go from 4.33_BD14which is what we currently have to a newer version. Fusion tells us to go to 4.33_BD14which doesn't appear to be available. The only one we can find is 4.51_2E17. Ours continues to keep trying as your did but our Apex never goes into bootloader mode either - stays orange. Very frustrating. We never updated firmware because everything was running fine until the last few months. Thought it was a good project for a Sunday - guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhlkereefers View Post
    We are having the same issue - trying to go from 4.33_BD14[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]which is what we currently have to a newer version. Fusion tells us to go to 4.33_BD14which doesn't appear to be available. The only one we can find is 4.51_2E17. Ours continues to keep trying as your did but our Apex never goes into bootloader mode either - stays orange. Very frustrating. We never updated firmware because everything was running fine until the last few months. Thought it was a good project for a Sunday - guess not.
    Please do not post that you are having the same issue, then go on to describe something different... that just confuses matters, and makes it harder for you to get the desired assistance. In Kurt's case, his Apex LED was NOT going orange, your's is turning orange, and that is a significantly different indication. It's best to start a new thread rather than hijacking a thread when your particular set of circumstances is merely somewhat related to the questions or problem posted by the original thread starter.

If your Apex status LED is going to orange during the update process, then it IS going into bootloader mode.

Fusion currently tells you that an update to 4.40_3A16 is recommended, not that you should be going to the same version you already have... I think that maybe you just typed 4.33_BD14 instead of 4.40_3A16.
    4.51_2E17 was just released, replacing 4.40_3A16 as the latest public release for Apex Classic models; Fusion will be updated to reflect that soon, but the main intent of the Fusion message is to recommend that you install the latest version.

Download the 4.51_2E17 updater for Windows or Mac as applicable from https://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/, and follow the instructions on the same page.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
    Question: If I choose to swap out these base units, will the "cloning" feature work for me? While both Apexes are the same model, the current one is running 4.20 firmware. Do both units need to be running the firmware that allows "cloning"?
    You only need the firmware which has the "cloning" option (called "Replacement Mode") on the destination (new) Apex, which you already have in place. Just follow the Apex Cloning Guide to the letter.

New User
    My apologies for my mis-type. Our unit is not staying orange - it is staying GREEN. I didn't mean to hijack his thread - I just typed the wrong color. Thank you for your response and I did download 4.51_2E17, it just isn't working for us. Thanks again and we'll just keep working at it, just thought I could maybe get some info since our issue is similar. Best of luck Kurt.

New User
    Updated last night with not one problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You only need the firmware which has the "cloning" option (called "Replacement Mode") on the destination (new) Apex, which you already have in place. Just follow the Apex Cloning Guide to the letter.
    Thanks Russ. I followed the Cloning Guide and it worked perfectly. I've now got my repaired spare controlling everything, and running on 4.51. All seems to be well. The one nice thing about putting it back into my system is that I'm back to all black labels again! Think I'll hold off until next weekend to hook the thing up to Fusion - which was why I was updating firmware to start with! I've had too much fun this weekend already. :/

Zuhlkereefers... I hope you can get your firmware updated. I have a hunch your problem isn't the same as mine, and it's probably something simple. My base unit had really old firmware and the bootloader hasn't been updated in a while. Pretty sure mine will end up at Neptune for repair. Sounds like yours is more recent, which should be less problematic. Regardless, be sure to post a new thread and give as much detail as to your network environment as possible. Apex folks are pretty good at helping each other out. (Says the guy who hasn't been here in a while!)