Thread: Audible Alarms

New User

Audible Alarms

There are some audible alarm outputs. I am trying to trigger them but I hear no sound. Is this a built in speaker or do I need to add a device? I went below 75 degrees and didn't hear anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    The alarm sound comes from the display module.
    Chad

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    The alarm sound comes from the display module.
    So since I have the Apex 2016 (or whatever the latest is) utilizing fusion I don't have that feature, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Not unless you purchased the display module. I own a display module from the classic and it's connected to my apex 2016 and to be honest I rarely use the sound. In fact before I turned it off I used to have to disconnect the thing because some of my maintenance was during the late hours of the night while others were sleeping.

With how much our phones are around us now and being able to get pretty much instant notifications via text from fusion I haven't felt the need to have this feature enabled.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    Not unless you purchased the display module. I own a display module from the classic and it's connected to my apex 2016 and to be honest I rarely use the sound. In fact before I turned it off I used to have to disconnect the thing because some of my maintenance was during the late hours of the night while others were sleeping.

With how much our phones are around us now and being able to get pretty much instant notifications via text from fusion I haven't felt the need to have this feature enabled.
    Wait until your aquarium cracks open at 5am like mine did... I would have really appreciated an audible alarm to let me know water was spilling into my living room!
    Joking aside I am new to the Apex and just wanted to make sure I have this correct... If I want an audible alarm I have two options... purchase the display module, or rig something up manually using the 24v output? Neptune has not yet come out with some sort of stand alone speaker for the unit? (if not... get on that Neptune... I'd buy it so I don't have to piss around with wiring my own)
    Thanks for your assistance
    Ron

Something like this could be used if connected to an EBx outlet: https://www.mcmaster.com/#59835t15/=1akn6rq

Program the outlet with whatever conditions you need.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Todd... Now I just have to figure out what an EBx outlet is...LOL. I think I get it, as that looks like a 120V building fire alarm... I'm guessing the alarm would sound anytime voltage was applied? So just connect it to one of my programmable outlets and then program that outlet to come on whenever the Audible alarm V outlet is triggered.
    Thanks Again
    Ron

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Reade View Post
    Thanks Todd... Now I just have to figure out what an EBx outlet is...LOL. I think I get it, as that looks like a 120V building fire alarm... I'm guessing the alarm would sound anytime voltage was applied? So just connect it to one of my programmable outlets and then program that outlet to come on whenever the Audible alarm V outlet is triggered.
    Thanks Again
    Ron
    Correct, he means plug it in to a outlet. Honestly that is just a waste of an outlet though especially if you have any 24v acc ports available. I wired these up in under 10 minutes.

Here is the buzzer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the plugs https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-sets-molex-...08?_mwBanner=1

The black wire from the buzzer goes on top where the hook latch is and red on the bottom. Just to be safe check it before you stick crimps in to plug.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Hey MattD,
    Thanks for that... Super helpful. I was already eyeing those up on AliExpress, but wasn't sure about them.
    Thanks Again
    Ron

Frequent Visitor
    Hey MattD,
    Thanks for that... Super helpful. I was already eyeing those up on AliExpress, but wasn't sure about them.
    Thanks Again
    Ron
    No problem, I just did a write up in the diy section with some code too. Let me know how this works out for you.

Another option also worth considering for those with EB8s is a Failed Circuit Alarm, normally used for things like freezers. I've used this one for many years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016P7ERK

This one is...quite loud. Also quite reasonably priced. Apparently it's been replaced by this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Failed-Circui.../dp/B0077Q9NC6

But I only have first-hand experience with the original model.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Another option also worth considering for those with EB8s is a Failed Circuit Alarm, normally used for things like freezers. I've used this one for many years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016P7ERK

This one is...quite loud. Also quite reasonably priced. Apparently it's been replaced by this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Failed-Circui.../dp/B0077Q9NC6

But I only have first-hand experience with the original model.
    Yup more than one way to skin a cat. Those are good options if you have a free eb outlet and aren't comfortable wiring a diy solution.

Thanks Todd... Now I just have to figure out what an EBx outlet is...LOL.
    There are EB8s, EB6s, EB4s, and EB832s. Just easier to short cut it. I agree that the 24VDC option is better if you have a 1Link.

New User
    Hi, is this possible to get the sound alarm via tablet (sound from tablet) in myApex 2016 (in Europe there is no EB832 but EB6 only).

Quote Originally Posted by kolalysy View Post
    Hi, is this possible to get the sound alarm via tablet (sound from tablet) in myApex 2016 (in Europe there is no EB832 but EB6 only).
    Not easily, but it can be done with IFTTT triggers using a keyword from your email. I don't know the exact process, but it would require an IFTTT app that runs a seperate app that plays sound when you get an email from your apex with the Set ON keyword, and turns it off when you get a set OFF keyword.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Not easily, but it can be done with IFTTT triggers using a keyword from your email. I don't know the exact process, but it would require an IFTTT app that runs a seperate app that plays sound when you get an email from your apex with the Set ON keyword, and turns it off when you get a set OFF keyword.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

As a side note, I feel like Fusion integration with IFTTT, Pushbullet, etc. is long overdue.