Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VIDEO: Are you using the latest Apex App?

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    Being an Android dev I can tell you for a fact that a correctly built Android app is just as simple to support as an IOS app. The key word there being correctly built.
    If you consider yourself an Android dev (not a cross-platform mobile app builder) how would you know? To begin with, and app is not an app is not an app any more than a car is a car is a car and you hire a VW mechanic to fix your Ford. There is not an infinite amount of resources, so the best approach for all of these platforms is for us to use a universal web app, and then apply that into a hybrid app on any of the platforms where demand warrants. The fact is, even doing that is full of minefields as Android browsers themselves do not run the same (or as they are supposed to) on all the many permutations of Android/OS/provider-Customizations/Browser. Any standards that do exist are not universally adhered to which requires testing many times the number of possible scenarios. And, for the customer, it is just "Android" so they will expect it all to just "work".

<Rant>
    Also, though you might have not meant it, your response has a fairly condescending (or unbelievably cocky) tone and for me slights the incredible level of talent we have on our engineering team. I rarely say something like this...so here it goes: I am really getting sick and tired of "those-that-know-better" second-guessing our team.

We are passionate. We care about our customers. We make decisions that we know give the most new tech to the most customers. Are we perfect? No. But I am confident in saying we have the best engineering team in this industry. Period. We have continually improved a product, for free, that for some customers they have owned for 8 years now. We maintain (and improve all the time) a cloud service for tens of thousands of customers with hundreds of billions of data points stored and millions of transactions a day, with an uptime record that FaceBook would be proud of, for free (no ads, no subscriptions). Who does that? Truly passionate fish people. That's who.
    </Rant>

I am done explaining why we have a new iOS app and not at the same time an Android one.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    If you consider yourself an Android dev (not a cross-platform mobile app builder) how would you know? To begin with, and app is not an app is not an app any more than a car is a car is a car...
    I did IOS dev for 4+ years and then Switched to Android for the last 5. I'm not talking about the cross platform (web app) development as I thought we were talking about the app here and I only stated what reasons I had for still using the Android app instead of just using fusion for everything. I really am wanting to go straight fusion and it getting close to being a possibility.

There is not an infinite amount of resources, so the best approach for all of these platforms is for us to use a universal web app, and then apply that into a hybrid app on any of the platforms where demand warrants.
    I'm not sure where to dissect this one, or if I should but I will. I whole heartedly support the universal web app approach. Bravo.

Now let me ask what message are you sending about that web app when you release it as "universal" and then later release a new IOS specific Hybrid app that didn't exist before? If the platform specific apps are not needed then it shouldn't matter what "demand warrants" as it's not "needed" and if there is a need beyond the universal web app wouldn't that need exist on both platforms as a function of supporting the device and not tied to a demand or platform?

The fact is, even doing that is full of minefields as Android browsers themselves do not run the same (or as they are supposed to) on all the many permutations of Android/OS/provider-Customizations/Browser. Any standards that do exist are not universally adhered to which requires testing many times the number of possible scenarios. And, for the customer, it is just "Android" so they will expect it all to just "work".
    I understand your described challenges on the Android platform and 100% agree that a Hybrid app for Android may not be the right answer there at all. By stating a "proper designed app" I meant nothing toward the Neptune developers at all and am just referencing that there is a correct way and an incorrect way to make an app on Android as I'm sure you guys know. I also did not mean to imply whether the current implementation is one or the other, as I clearly did and I apologize for that. I just wanted to state that if you design an app that uses the base level API's and resources provided by the OS and not depend on capabilities or lack of them on add-on apps or customized apps will help put the control of your apps success back in your hands and not at the mercy of the continued support or correct design of other apps. Browsers suck and there is no good way of sugar coating that fact which is why I applaud, once again, the work done on Fusion.

<Rant>
    Also, though you might have not meant it, your response has a fairly condescending (or unbelievably cocky) tone and for me slights the incredible level of talent we have on our engineering team. I rarely say something like this...so here it goes:...
    Not intended at all. I was simply trying to answer the question of your original post, do so in a short story (not a novel), and be honest about my reasons why. Clearly in leaving out the novel details I also left out the compassion or support for the work that is done. As a Dev I know what it takes and the effort that goes into this work. Please don't take what I wrote as a discount of fact of a disrespect of what has been done. This is a user forum and as a user and supporter I wanted to place my thoughts here in the hope that there was some new thoughts that hadn't been considered before.

Neptune has a long history of supporting their products for a long time and rarely "abandons" it's work. The fact that you can still download firmware for the original AC from your site and get support for it and most of it's legacy modules have continued to be supported shows that. I think that might be partly why the Android users are disheartened by the app for their platform being dropped. I'm not disputing the effort, time, resources, costs or anything else that it takes to create and provide these things. I'm only trying to have a constructive discussion on the topic of the app.

I'm sorry if that is not what came across @Terrance. We've had great discussions and I hope we have more even if it's on hard topics. Thank you!

If fusion on a phone is so great why is there a need for a iPhone app? As long as Neptune sees the need for an app for iPhone users and not for Android users android users are going to feel slighted.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you consider yourself an Android dev (not a cross-platform mobile app builder) how would you know? To begin with, and app is not an app is not an app any more than a car is a car is a car and you hire a VW mechanic to fix your Ford. There is not an infinite amount of resources, so the best approach for all of these platforms is for us to use a universal web app, and then apply that into a hybrid app on any of the platforms where demand warrants. The fact is, even doing that is full of minefields as Android browsers themselves do not run the same (or as they are supposed to) on all the many permutations of Android/OS/provider-Customizations/Browser. Any standards that do exist are not universally adhered to which requires testing many times the number of possible scenarios. And, for the customer, it is just "Android" so they will expect it all to just "work".

<Rant>
    Also, though you might have not meant it, your response has a fairly condescending (or unbelievably cocky) tone and for me slights the incredible level of talent we have on our engineering team. I rarely say something like this...so here it goes: I am really getting sick and tired of "those-that-know-better" second-guessing our team.

We are passionate. We care about our customers. We make decisions that we know give the most new tech to the most customers. Are we perfect? No. But I am confident in saying we have the best engineering team in this industry. Period. We have continually improved a product, for free, that for some customers they have owned for 8 years now. We maintain (and improve all the time) a cloud service for tens of thousands of customers with hundreds of billions of data points stored and millions of transactions a day, with an uptime record that FaceBook would be proud of, for free (no ads, no subscriptions). Who does that? Truly passionate fish people. That's who.
    </Rant>

I am done explaining why we have a new iOS app and not at the same time an Android one.
    Keep up the GREAT work!!! I'm very pleased with my Apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, keep up the great work!!! Every experience I have had with your company has been a good one.

There will always be someone out there to complain about something, no matter what you do they will never be satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Man the tempurature alert went off in this thread.

I'm an android user and honestly I'd much rather development time applied to features and updates to fusion and not an app. I really don't need another app taking up resources and requiring permissions on my phone. I love the new 2016 Apex fusion features and input controls. Huge improvements being able to pretty much do everything in fusion and not have to log into the local dashboard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12