Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I install the Optical sensor in water or out of water?

Frequent Visitor
    Oh wow. Glad I found this thread. I thought the optical sensor was capable of providing a digital readback on the water level (like an IR bounce back). Is there anything that can do that?

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah there is actually - you can use the ASM (advanced sensor module, typically used for the PAR meter) with an ultrasonic meter that can be programmed for 0-5v response - you can then use it like a distance sensor. Neptune had a video on it a while ago - it's gonna cost you like $300-600 for the sensor alone plus $80 for the module, plus you need to program the actual sensor to output in the correct format for the apex. I looked into it once, but it wasn't worth the money. I usually just put 3 switches on my tanks - high, medium, low. and medium is an optical, high/low are mech floats on the BOB. this setup has worked well for me so far.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Xero, Back on May 22, 2017, you kindly shared your Apex code for limiting your ATK to only running for 30 seconds ever 30 minutes. I also want to do the same, but I am a novice Apex coder & don’t quite understand the code.

Currently, I only have 2 separate magnetic optical switches in my sump. I don’t have the ATK Kit. One optical switch controls my supply pump in my RO container which keeps my sump level constant, and a high level optical switch, for safety in case the lower optical switch fails for any reason.

In your code, you use 3 switches: SwLvlM, SwLvH, and SwATO. I assume they are all in your sump. Is SwLvH your high level safety switch (normally always open) and SwATO your pump switch which turns on & off to top off your sump level for evaporation every 30 minutes and SwLvlM your low switch in case your sump runs dry (normally always closed)? If not, can you please correct my understanding. I will add the third switch once I am clear on how your code works.
    Thanks, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rst View Post
    Hi Xero, Back on May 22, 2017, you kindly shared your Apex code for limiting your ATK to only running for 30 seconds ever 30 minutes. I also want to do the same, but I am a novice Apex coder & don’t quite understand the code.

Currently, I only have 2 separate magnetic optical switches in my sump. I don’t have the ATK Kit. One optical switch controls my supply pump in my RO container which keeps my sump level constant, and a high level optical switch, for safety in case the lower optical switch fails for any reason.

In your code, you use 3 switches: SwLvlM, SwLvH, and SwATO. I assume they are all in your sump. Is SwLvH your high level safety switch (normally always open) and SwATO your pump switch which turns on & off to top off your sump level for evaporation every 30 minutes and SwLvlM your low switch in case your sump runs dry (normally always closed)? If not, can you please correct my understanding. I will add the third switch once I am clear on how your code works.
    Thanks, Ron
    Starting with an OSC based code right off the bat is not reccomended unless you have good data on evaporation rate and pump flowrate after head losses. I would suggest that you start with the default task code and if you decide you want to go OSC based, check out my in depth ATO guide (https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ATO-Failsafes slightly outdated written for floats) and check your logs to see how often and long your pump runs using the default code for at least a couple days.

The default code is this

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATK_LO OPEN Then ON
    If ATK_HI CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor

ATO code to turn on for upto 30 secs every 30 mins

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Starting with an OSC based code right off the bat is not reccomended unless you have good data on evaporation rate and pump flowrate after head losses. I would suggest that you start with the default task code and if you decide you want to go OSC based, check out my in depth ATO guide (https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ATO-Failsafes slightly outdated written for floats) and check your logs to see how often and long your pump runs using the default code for at least a couple days.

The default code is this

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATK_LO OPEN Then ON
    If ATK_HI CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

Thanks Zombie for your recommendation. I will add this recommendated code to my ATO pump outlet and see how this works.

The reason why I thought the OSC code was a good idea was due to my ATO pump is turning on & off multiple times over a very short period of time. Does this recommended code alleviate this problem? Can you help me understand why this recommended code has 2 Defer code lines, one after the other? Why not just use 1 Defer?

Thanks, Ron

Thanks Zombie for your recommendation. I will add this recommendated code to my ATO pump outlet and see how this works.

The reason why I thought the OSC code was a good idea was due to my ATO pump is turning on & off multiple times over a very short period of time. Does this recommended code alleviate this problem? Can you help me understand why this recommended code has 2 Defer code lines, one after the other? Why not just use 1 Defer?

Thanks, Ron
    It will alleviate that issue. This code allows it to run no more than once per hour. The defers are there for filtering quick spikes or waves from the optical sensors so that it doesn't turn on until it's been OPEN for 10 seconds continuously and doesn't turn off for 4 seconds after an OFF condition occurs continuously to give the level a chance to stabilize before it shuts off. The when statement limits the pump from running more than 5 minutes in a single dose.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It will alleviate that issue. This code allows it to run no more than once per hour. The defers are there for filtering quick spikes or waves from the optical sensors so that it doesn't turn on until it's been OPEN for 10 seconds continuously and doesn't turn off for 4 seconds after an OFF condition occurs continuously to give the level a chance to stabilize before it shuts off. The when statement limits the pump from running more than 5 minutes in a single dose.

Hi, Zombie, the basic ATO code you have provided a few days ago works great. THANKS!

In my case, I already have a 60 gallon RO reserve tank automatically refilled with fresh RO water suppling my sump and supplying RO for water changes. Now over a 24 hr period, my speedy RO pump only turns on 6 times a day and only for 1 to 3 secs each time. So now, should I add a third low level optical switch, or just shorten the WHEN statement from the suggested 5 mins to say 15 secs or even best to do both?

Thanks, Ron

Hi, Zombie, the basic ATO code you have provided a few days ago works great. THANKS!

In my case, I already have a 60 gallon RO reserve tank automatically refilled with fresh RO water suppling my sump and supplying RO for water changes. Now over a 24 hr period, my speedy RO pump only turns on 6 times a day and only for 1 to 3 secs each time. So now, should I add a third low level optical switch, or just shorten the WHEN statement from the suggested 5 mins to say 15 secs or even best to do both?

Thanks, Ron
    For now, 15 seconds would probably be good. I would seriously look into a much smaller pump or adding a flow restrictor or valve to slow the flow down. Ideally you want each fill to take at least a minute, and due to the large reservoir size, I would also add a manual float valve in case the outlet ever fails in the ON position.

Frequent Visitor
    So if I want to install one in my two part container to tell me it is time to refill I can drill the side and have it submerged most of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by MHG View Post
    So if I want to install one in my two part container to tell me it is time to refill I can drill the side and have it submerged most of the time?
    Yes, but only if the container is flat. If it is round, there is a good change it will leak. Personally I find the magnetic mount much easier since you don't have to drain the container if it needs to be replaced and no chance for leaks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks . It is a new container so no draining. I'll decide when I buy them soon I guess

Quote Originally Posted by MHG View Post
    Thanks . It is a new container so no draining. I'll decide when I buy them soon I guess
    No draining right now. Later is a different story. The sensors need a vinegar soak from time to time and don't last forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12