Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvania LED Refugium Light--How can I dim it?

Sylvania LED Refugium Light--How can I dim it?

This light is dimmable but I have no idea where to start with parts and all that would be needed. Advice needed.

If that's a standard screw-in lamp, it's not dimmable by the Apex.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

It's a screw in bubble however it indicates it's dimmable. Now I might need a new fixture and other goodies...looking for advice. I'm sure there's got to be a way, right?

Frequent Visitor
    But there is no way to dim it from an Apex. Apex can only dim items controllable by a 0-10 vdc interface. This bulb is dimmable using a 0-120vac standard wall dimmer. An Apex cannot control that.

If you are into DIY electronics, you can make a 0-10vdc controllable dimmer, but this is not something you will find plug and play or off the shelf. You will need a 0-10vdc controllable potentiometer with a resistance appropriately sized. You will also be making something handling 120 volts AC, so not something to tinker with if you don't know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by clsanchez77 View Post
    But there is no way to dim it from an Apex. Apex can only dim items controllable by a 0-10 vdc interface. This bulb is dimmable using a 0-120vac standard wall dimmer. An Apex cannot control that.

If you are into DIY electronics, you can make a 0-10vdc controllable dimmer, but this is not something you will find plug and play or off the shelf. You will need a 0-10vdc controllable potentiometer with a resistance appropriately sized. You will also be making something handling 120 volts AC, so not something to tinker with if you don't know what you are doing.
    Would you make me one

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralNerd View Post
    Would you make me one
    lol, no. Not something I am familiar with either.

Frequent Visitor
    I have to ask, why do you want to dim it? If it is too bright, just by a LED compatible dimmer and install it in a water proof exterior PVC gang box and wire the refugium light through it. Then you can manually dim it to what ever level you want. I see no reason to spend an Apex VDM port or code for this purpose. There just is no practical application to dim a refugium over time IMO.

Example I hit a certain temperature, it would dim but not go off...meanwhile my two fans will correct the temp.

Frequent Visitor
    Im not sure the refugees bulb has that much impact on your tank water temp relative to your tank water. I will say though your chaeto growth looks great!

Im not sure the refugees bulb has that much impact on your tank water temp relative to your tank water. I will say though your chaeto growth looks great!
    Oh yeah, this light is the bomb. I just replaced it. It's 26w vs my old was 15w and this one has really started the chaeto growth. Export central here.

You'd probably do fine with a lamp that is less intense and produces less heat if you used one with a more suitable spectrum. 3000k, as I understand it, is not that good for macros like chaetomorpha. IIRC, Anthony Calfo recommends 5100K.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You'd probably do fine with a lamp that is less intense and produces less heat if you used one with a more suitable spectrum. 3000k, as I understand it, is not that good for macros like chaetomorpha. IIRC, Anthony Calfo recommends 5100K.
    I strongly disagree with 5100k...3000k is the king if you want to grow chaeto. Been there done that. This 26w is a bit hotter than the 15w however. I just programed apex to turn off if the tank gets to 79.1°.

Regular Vistor
    Have you checked out the fuge light test that BRS is doing? Interesting information.

Quote Originally Posted by titus_4 View Post
    Have you checked out the fuge light test that BRS is doing? Interesting information.
    I did see that video. I came to the conclusion that they want to sell you a Kessil lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Haha true. To be honest, it made me look at them. I was more intrigued by how the magenta/purple spectrum did compared to white. I don't have near the experience to know how chaeto reacts to different light spectrum so I was glad to see that video. My bioload is pretty small right now so my generic LED fuge light from Amazon is working for decent growth. If things do get out of control at some point and I need the $300 Kessil to maximize growth fast, it would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by titus_4 View Post
    Haha true. To be honest, it made me look at them. I was more intrigued by how the magenta/purple spectrum did compared to white. I don't have near the experience to know how chaeto reacts to different light spectrum so I was glad to see that video. My bioload is pretty small right now so my generic LED fuge light from Amazon is working for decent growth. If things do get out of control at some point and I need the $300 Kessil to maximize growth fast, it would be worth it.
    Try the light I have its better. Chaeto doesn't need magenta purple spectrum.

I did see that video. I came to the conclusion that they want to sell you a Kessil lol.

Actually, that kessil is the biggest rip for the price and what it does.. My 600 watt led that I used for my fuge is much cheaper than the kessil and much more power..

But I still wouldn't expect much of our that twist in bulb your getting to use.. Need a bit more oomph to effectively pull good..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    Actually, that kessil is the biggest rip for the price and what it does.. My 600 watt led that I used for my fuge is much cheaper than the kessil and much more power..

But I still wouldn't expect much of our that twist in bulb your getting to use.. Need a bit more oomph to effectively pull good..

This twist light I bet grows it quicker than what you're using otherwise I would be using what you have.

This twist light I bet grows it quicker than what you're using otherwise I would be using what you have.
    Lol, I doubt it.. But just for consideration, let's play.... How long would it take you to grow enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket? Stuffed over? Or better yet, a good half of a wash tub?

Lol, I doubt it.. But just for consideration, let's play.... How long would it take you to grow enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket? Stuffed over? Or better yet, a good half of a wash tub?

My refugium is not that big lol. It prob holds 5g of chaeto. I don't have any tangs either which poop a lot and help to kick off some growth. Not sure how long as I just put the light in last week. Thinking I'll pull some out within the next week. It's going to be a bit hard to compare. What light are you running by the way?

Frequent Visitor
    It's posts like this that I quit going to Reef Central

You do realize the biggest contributor to algae growth is your nutrient load right? In my tank, my agae growth is nutrient limited, not light limited...and I only use all 660 nm red LEDs.

Back to the original post, I have been looking but I have not found a LED comparable dimmer (triac dimmer) that can be controlled via an external 0-10 vdc source. The only ones I can find are intended to be hardwired directly to the LED driver.

It's posts like this that I quit going to Reef Central

You do realize the biggest contributor to algae growth is your nutrient load right? In my tank, my agae growth is nutrient limited, not light limited...and I only use all 660 nm red LEDs.

Back to the original post, I have been looking but I have not found a LED comparable dimmer (triac dimmer) that can be controlled via an external 0-10 vdc source. The only ones I can find are intended to be hardwired directly to the LED driver.
    Actually, no, my biggest contributor to my algea growth, just like coal growth is light in my system.. I don't just go by what others say, I do too prove our dispel.. And I have done just that.. It's not nearly as simple as most believe, and in time, people will come to realize that..

Algea will scavenge. Which is why I can still grow enormous amounts.. It takes a lot of light to be able to do this.. And I have a 600 watt led system to pull nutrients.. And That it does do..

My nitrate has always registered zero, "until" I actually altered my light hours on my tub (cheato) and algea scrubber. My phosphate is always low, but I add a tiny bit of gfo to get it below the 0.03 that the scrubber and cheato take it down to, to get it to 0.01... I had to turn down my light hours to get it to register on either Hanna checker.. I took it from 14 hours, to 12 on the cheato, and 14 to 13 on the scrubber.. I add nothing to the system besides salt and ro/di water and fish food..

Even with those levels, the attached picture is what I get every 1.5 weeks on my cheato. And I run an sps system.. So my nutrients "have" to stay low to keep my color and growth up.. So it's a worthy discussion that should not be cringed from..

@MatroxD
    That looks like it would have a hard time filling a 5g bucket. So what light do you use by the way?

@MatroxD
    That looks like it would have a hard time filling a 5g bucket. So what light do you use by the way?
    It spills over a gallon bucket(i guess that's what you meant) .. And a Viparspectra 600 watt led unit ..

Frequent Visitor
    Actually, no, my biggest contributor to my algea growth, just like coal growth is light in my system.. I don't just go by what others say, I do too prove our dispel.. And I have done just that.. It's not nearly as simple as most believe, and in time, people will come to realize that..

Algea will scavenge. Which is why I can still grow enormous amounts.. It takes a lot of light to be able to do this.. And I have a 600 watt led system to pull nutrients.. And That it does do..

My nitrate has always registered zero, "until" I actually altered my light hours on my tub (cheato) and algea scrubber. My phosphate is always low, but I add a tiny bit of gfo to get it below the 0.03 that the scrubber and cheato take it down to, to get it to 0.01... I had to turn down my light hours to get it to register on either Hanna checker.. I took it from 14 hours, to 12 on the cheato, and 14 to 13 on the scrubber.. I add nothing to the system besides salt and ro/di water and fish food..

Even with those levels, the attached picture is what I get every 1.5 weeks on my cheato. And I run an sps system.. So my nutrients "have" to stay low to keep my color and growth up.. So it's a worthy discussion that should not be cringed from..

I can't argue with your results, but bottom line is you can't do that without nutrients in the system. A nutrient rich system will produce growth under even poor lighting conditions.

I run photo red LEDs with a single royal blue as the chlorophyl A spectral response is approximately 410-450 +/- and then 650+ range. The latest developments are showing better performance with hyper violet instead of royal blue due to decreased photo saturation. Chaeto and other algae have no use for lighting in the 460 to 620 range so this lighting is adding heat to the tank but doing little for the chaeto. I have argued this for many years but only the algae turf scrubber community has really accepted this. BRS is doing a new series of videos that I suspect is going to clarify this tremendously.

Absent of building your own unit, any LED bulb that has good spectrum in the 650+ range will perform well. LED bulbs that are heavy in yellow and light in red will perform poorly. That is why you will get people with mixed results on similar "color" bulbs. Actually not familiar with either bulb you all are using but they clearly hit the red peaks.

As for my tank, I have a 110 LPS reef that only has 4 fish in it and is fed 1/2 a cube daily. No light will fill a 5 gallon bucket on my tank and I only run my skimmer part time. LPS colors are great.

I don't just go by what others say, I do too prove our dispel

Ive been in this hobby for close to 20 years and it is comical to sit on most of these boards and watch the consensus get herded into one belief system and then the next. I remember the jump from plenums to deep sand beds to bare bottoms and I remember a time when people thought growing algae in your system on purpose was the most ridiculous thing. The general mass lost credibility to me a very long time ago. Personally I have been running
    caulerpa because well, its what I always did. The success you and others have had with chaeto is encouraging me to make the switch, but I need more fish in the tank I think.

Watch for that BRS refugium series. If you have this must interest in fuge lighting, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast