Thread: Setting times for email alarm

Frequent Visitor

Setting times for email alarm

Below is my email alarm, I would like to set the H20LOW to only come on between 7:00am and 11:00pm. (my ATO could go for another day after the alarm is on) The rest of the alarms I want to keep active at all times.

My current program:

Set OFF
    If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    If Outlet PumpSW = ON Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then ON

My guess for the new program:

Set OFF
    If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If Time 7:00 to 23:00 Then Off <will this affect everything above?
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then ON <will this still work at all times?

Frequent Visitor
    If Time 7:00 to 23:00 Then Off /will this affect everything above?
    Yes, it will. IMO, having Off statements in the email and/or alarm is just a bad idea. You would be better off setting a virtual outlet for any alarms you want to make conditional, and then use the virtual outlet to trigger the alarm and/or email.

So in your current program, replace the statement "If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON" with "IF VA_H20LOW = ON Then ON" where VA_H20LOW is a virtual outlet (alarm) that is set to:

Set OFF
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON
    If Time 11:00 to 07:00 Then OFF

With this, if the switch goes open, it will only be recognized between 7 and 11, otherwise the virtual outlet remains off. Now you email is only triggered when both conditions are met and you do not have any OFF statements fouling up your email program.

The downside to this is if you H20LOW trigger goes off, it will be reset at 11 am whether addressed or not and then will be re-issued each day at 7 am until you correct it.

I respectfully disagree with the previous post. Having a ...Then OFF statement in an email outlet is perfectly acceptable, if done properly. In this case, simply putting the statements in a suitable sequence in the email program is all that is needed. A virtual outlet is an unnecessary complexity in this case. The key here is that statements are evaluated from top to bottom.

Set OFF
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON
    If Time 23:00 to 06:59 Then Off

If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON

First, note that I changed the If Time statement so that it matches what's stated in the first post: "I would like to set the H20LOW to only come on between 7:00am and 11:00pm"
    Now, if H2OLOW is CLOSED, and the time is during the 7Am-11PM period, the alarm output will turn on. But because the If Time 23:00 to 06:59 Then Off statement comes after If H2OLOW line, if the time is within those hours, the outlet will not be turned on even if H2OLOW is CLOSED.

The most important part here is that by moving the two lines in blue to the top, the desired effect is achieved without adversely impacting the other alarm programming.... the If Time 23:00 to 06:59 Then Off will suppress only the If H2OLOW line at night, without affecting the other alarm programming at all.

Look Ma! No VO!

Also, please note that I deliberately did not include a Defer statement. The original programming had a Defer 010:00 Then ON statement. I would *never* use a Defer ON that long in an email outlet, especially when there are statements in the alarm programming that are for leak detectors. If there is a leak detected, I don't want the system to delay telling me about it for 10 minutes - if there's water on the floor, I want - no, strike that - I NEED to know RIGHT NOW! If, for some reason, you feel a need to delay the email outlet from turning on, keep the Defer very short in duration... IMO, absolutely no more than 1 minute, preferably less than 15 seconds.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

No offense taken, just my preference.

And I agree on the Defer statement, I failed to catch that but its not a good idea for alarms/emails as Russ mentioned.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the previous post. Having a ...Then OFF statement in an email outlet is perfectly acceptable, if done properly. In this case, simply putting the statements in a suitable sequence in the email program is all that is needed. A virtual outlet is an unnecessary complexity in this case. The key here is that statements are evaluated from top to bottom.

Set OFF
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON

If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON

First, note that I changed the If Time statement so that it matches what's stated in the first post: "I would like to set the H20LOW to only come on between 7:00am and 11:00pm"
    Now, if H2OLOW is CLOSED, and the time is during the 7Am-11PM period, the alarm output will turn on. But because the If Time 23:00 to 06:59 Then Off statement comes after If H2OLOW line, if the time is within those hours, the outlet will not be turned on even if H2OLOW is CLOSED.

The most important part here is that by moving the two lines in blue to the top, the desired effect is achieved without adversely impacting the other alarm programming.... the If Time 23:00 to 06:59 Then Off will suppress only the If H2OLOW line at night, without affecting the other alarm programming at all.

Look Ma! No VO!

Also, please note that I deliberately did not include a Defer statement. The original programming had a Defer 010:00 Then ON statement. I would *never* use a Defer ON that long in an email outlet, especially when there are statements in the alarm programming that are for leak detectors. If there is a leak detected, I don't want the system to delay telling me about it for 10 minutes - if there's water on the floor, I want - no, strike that - I NEED to know RIGHT NOW! If, for some reason, you feel a need to delay the email outlet from turning on, keep the Defer very short in duration... IMO, absolutely no more than 1 minute, preferably less than 15 seconds.

As always, Thank you

Regular Vistor

Set OFF
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON

If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    So, with all the above comments in mind, I want three float switches to send me an alarm at 8am each day if the water need attention. The three are OSW_Hi, NSW_LO and ATOadd. All the items above those I need to go off immediately when there are issues. These three that I mention are not as critical.

Here's the code:
    Set OFF
    If TEMP_M > 81.0 Then ON
    If TEMP_M < 77.0 Then ON
    If pH_1 > 8.55 Then ON
    If pH_1 < 7.70 Then ON
    If Sal < 29.0 Then ON
    If Sal > 35.5 Then ON
    If OSW_Hi CLOSED Then ON
    If NSW_LO CLOSED Then ON
    If ATOadd OPEN Then ON

I know I previously had some code that did this that I found here but cannot seem to find it again. Thanks in advance. It is truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenShh View Post
    So, with all the above comments in mind, I want three float switches to send me an alarm at 8am each day if the water need attention. The three are OSW_Hi, NSW_LO and ATOadd. All the items above those I need to go off immediately when there are issues. These three that I mention are not as critical.

Here's the code:
    Set OFF
    If TEMP_M > 81.0 Then ON
    If TEMP_M < 77.0 Then ON
    If pH_1 > 8.55 Then ON
    If pH_1 < 7.70 Then ON
    If Sal < 29.0 Then ON
    If Sal > 35.5 Then ON
    If OSW_Hi CLOSED Then ON
    If NSW_LO CLOSED Then ON
    If ATOadd OPEN Then ON

I know I previously had some code that did this that I found here but cannot seem to find it again. Thanks in advance. It is truly appreciated.
    Change the order.

Set OFF
    If OSW_Hi CLOSED Then ON
    If NSW_LO CLOSED Then ON
    If ATOadd OPEN Then ON
    If Time 08:10 to 07:59 Then OFF
    If TEMP_M > 81.0 Then ON
    If TEMP_M < 77.0 Then ON
    If pH_1 > 8.55 Then ON
    If pH_1 < 7.70 Then ON
    If Sal < 29.0 Then ON
    If Sal > 35.5 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks so much. I was a bit confused regarding order. Although I can do it, coding is something I seem to always second guess.

Appreciate the help!

New User

Set OFF
    If H20LOW CLOSED Then ON

If Temp > 83.0 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
    If ABTTMP > 84.9 Then ON
    If PH > 8.30 Then ON
    If PH < 7.80 Then ON
    If CABLK CLOSED Then ON
    If RRLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If LRLeak CLOSED Then ON

Look Ma! No VO!

Russ - what if I want an email alarm when an outlet has been OFF for a certain amount of time? So for instance, I want to know if my ATK hasn’t been running for over 6 hours. Maybe I turned it off to mix Kalk and forgot to turn it on - sometimes I have to turn off the ATK because the RSR750 return valve is so touchy. Sometimes that can alert me to a water level issue.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    Russ - what if I want an email alarm when an outlet has been OFF for a certain amount of time? So for instance, I want to know if my ATK hasn’t been running for over 6 hours. Maybe I turned it off to mix Kalk and forgot to turn it on - sometimes I have to turn off the ATK because the RSR750 return valve is so touchy. Sometimes that can alert me to a water level issue.

Thanks!!
    ATOstuckOFF
    Set OFF
    If Output ATO = OFF Then ON
    Defer 360:00 Then ON

Email
    (Existing)
    If Output ATOstuckOFF = ON Then ON

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thanks Zombie!