Thread: Reef Octopus Vario 8 (cont'd)

Frequent Visitor

Reef Octopus Vario 8 (cont'd)

Finally got around to hooking this thing up. So I plugged in power to an EB-8 outlet and then the controller directly to my Apex Base unit (Classic Apex) via the 10V plug
    So according to the video There's now supposed to be a VARSPDxx virtual outlet that controls it. And there are several of them Except none of them controls the pump. I have gone through them all one by one and the pump does not turn on unless I disconnect it from the base and just run it like a regular pump.
    Am I doing something wrong? Help pls
    TY

VarSpd outputs are not virtual outputs; they are "real" outputs which physically exist. They are the V1/V2 & V3/V4 jacks on the Apex base. If you look at the Outputs List in Fusion, you'll see that they have a Type of 'variable', not 'virtual'.

What cable did you use to connect the VarioS box to the Apex? When you connect the cable to the VarioS unit, does the 0-10V LED on the face of the VarioS box light up?

Do you have the float switch connected to the VarioS? If so, disconnect it, at least temporarily to see if it is preventing the pump from running.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    The cable I'm using was recommended by BRS Its the Kessil Control Cable type 1. The 0-10V light changes from blue to green when I plug it in. In the Ouputs menu There several VarSpd But none of them work as I said. They are the only ones that I don't recognize. Might it be called something else by default?

Frequent Visitor
    Hmm. I have the same pump and it works fine. I am not using the Kessel cable, I am using the ICECAP Y cable. I also setup a PROFILE for the sump because I cannot run it at full power. What programming do you have?

I don't know why BRS would recommend a Kessil cable. As wwathony said, the Icecap cable sold by CoralVue for the Maxpect Gyre also is the proper cable for use with R.O. VarioS pumps: http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-y-module-cable
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I don't know why BRS would recommend a Kessil cable. As wwathony said, the Icecap cable sold by CoralVue for the Maxpect Gyre also is the proper cable for use with R.O. VarioS pumps: http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-y-module-cable
    Exactly. I purchased my Varios8 from BRS also and did not get the same recommendation. All my searching led me to the Icecap cable.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok I had a feeling it might be something like this. Well at least it was only $20 Maybe they'll take it back under the circumstances Thanks guys

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by erndog1001 View Post
    Ok I had a feeling it might be something like this. Well at least it was only $20 Maybe they'll take it back under the circumstances Thanks guys
    Well that answers my question. Marine depot told me to use the Kessel cable as well. I have the varios 6. That's aggravating as I have thrown the package away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by FFJohn View Post
    Well that answers my question. Marine depot told me to use the Kessel cable as well. I have the varios 6. That's aggravating as I have thrown the package away.

Ok now I'm confused!! I just looked up the Gyre cable. And unless there is a difference on the ethernet end it's the same cable ?!

Frequent Visitor
    The difference is probably the way that end is wired.

There's a big difference. The Gyre/VarioS cable is a Y cable which allows two pumps to be controlled through the Apex V1/2 or V3/4 jack. The Kessil cable sends both channels to the 1/8" plug, whereas the Icecap cable splits the two channels - one channel to one 1/8" plug and the other channel to the other plug.

Regular Vistor
    Ice Cap Gyre.jpgThis is the image listed for the IceCap cable. Unless it is somehow creating a Y at the RS end I don't get it Russ. I know there is a Dual Gyre cable, but why would we want that when the varios only has one 10v input??
    Last edited by FFJohn; 04-02-2017 at 17:52. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by FFJohn View Post
    This is the image listed for the IceCap cable. Unless it is somehow creating a Y at the RS end I don't get it Russ. I know there is a Dual Gyre cable, but why would we want that when the varios only has one 10v input??
    That is not the cable I provided a link to. That cable is the one used for controlling a single Gyre in both directions with two Apex variable channels. The page I linked to shows a Y-cable, and that is the one that specifically states it's for use w/ VarioS pumps. The reason for the Y-cable is in my previous post.

Regular Vistor
    I know it isn't what you had posted but it is posted on 3 different websites as the cable. Why do I need a cable with 2, 10 volt 1/8" plugs when the varios has only 1 input. Not two?

Frequent Visitor
    [QUOTE=FFJohn;117606]I know it isn't what you had posted but it is posted on 3 different websites as the cable. Why do I need a cable with 2, 10 volt 1/8" plugs when the varios has only 1 input. Not two?

It's so the Y cable can control 2 pumps at once.

Regular Vistor
    Finally got around to hooking this thing up. So I plugged in power to an EB-8 outlet and then the controller directly to my Apex Base unit (Classic Apex) via the 10V plug
    So according to the video There's now supposed to be a VARSPDxx virtual outlet that controls it. And there are several of them Except none of them controls the pump. I have gone through them all one by one and the pump does not turn on unless I disconnect it from the base and just run it like a regular pump.
    Am I doing something wrong? Help pls
    TY

erndog1001, after several conflicting bits of information from just about everyone including coralvue I have VarioS 6 running with the kessel cable! Here is what worked for me. I turned on All of the VARSPD outlets that I had, then went into the Wizard. Then I configured the speed for the current time frame in all 4 VARSPDs at 40 percent so I wouldn't spike the flow up to max. The pump was running just as a pump without the 10v kessel plugged in. At this point I reset my Apex. As soon as the reset began I plugged in the kessel cable. When the system came up the apex was operating the pump. Sitting in front of the pump I turned off each of the VARSPD outlets beginning with 3 and 4 since I didn't think they would be controlling the pump. They weren't because I was plugged into 1/2 on the Control Module. At this point I turned off VARSPD 2, and the pump shut off. After turning off VARSPD 1 I went back into the configuration wizard and completed the setup for the overall control of the pump. Kind of convoluted I know, but the kessel cable DOES indeed work and there is no need for the Y cable and the extra control unless you intend to run two pumps. Hope this helps!!

Frequent Visitor
    Everybody take notice He's absolutely right That works!!! Thank you sir

Regular Vistor
    Everybody take notice He's absolutely right That works!!! Thank you sir
    My Pleasure. Happy it worked out for you as well!

New User
    I am having the same exact problem. I have a Various 8 return pump and a regal skimmer using the various 6 skimmer. I am also using the ice cap y cable. I cannot get the various ports to work on my 2016 apex. I tried the steps above to no avail. Any other ideas?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamarjeepboy View Post
    I am having the same exact problem. I have a Various 8 return pump and a regal skimmer using the various 6 skimmer. I am also using the ice cap y cable. I cannot get the various ports to work on my 2016 apex. I tried the steps above to no avail. Any other ideas?
    Did you follow the steps with each of the y cable inputs??

New User
    No I did both at the same time. I'll try one at a time and see if that works.

New User
    V,m