Thread: Setting up DynDNS on Arris Router?

Regular Vistor

Setting up DynDNS on Arris Router?

Anyone done this?

I had a Cisco before I moved, had it all set up easy as cake.

No friggin clue how to do it with this Arris router (which the local podunk internet company monopoly requires you use)...

Thanks!

What Arris model? It's probably a TG862-series, but there are other Arris models.

There may be a DDNS page under the Utilities menu. Depending on your ISP, the DDNS feature may be completely disabled. If your Arris router had DDNS support, it will only support Dyn.com (aka Dyndns.org). Dyn.com no longer offers free accounts, so it will cost you $25/yr to use it.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Russ,

My DynDNS is still all set up and I pay the yearly fee, only thing that has changed is the router. It's an Arris DG950a...

In the utilities tab I don't see any DDNS option, only virtual server:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's the Firewall tab. Utilities should be at the top next to Firewall.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    That's the Firewall tab. Utilities should be at the top next to Firewall.
    Nothing there for DDNS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's probably been removed by the ISP.

Your best bet is to use a network camera as a DDNS updater. D-Link cameras for example have dynamic DNS support. Foscams do as well I'm told.

See this sticky for more details. http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...=4102#post4102
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    So as it stands there is NO way to access the device externally?

Port forwarding is what permits external access. Have you done that?

DDNS does not give external access by itself.

Regular Vistor
    Port forwarding is what permits external access. Have you done that?

DDNS does not give external access by itself.
    Right, but without DDNS, I'd need a static IP address, correct?

How do I set up a Port forward on the Arris?

Also, do I need to do any firewall settings?

How then would I access it without a using a dyndns?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by galleon View Post
    Right, but without DDNS, I'd need a static IP address, correct?
    No necessarily. It really just depends on how much work you are willing to do. Do you have a computer in your house that is on all the time and connected to the Internet? If so, you can use that to run a DNS updater program. Another option is to access your controller by IP address, as opposed to DNS name. The only issue is that your connection will break if your ISP changes your IP address. You would need to update the IP address you use to connect each time your ISP changes your IP address. How often that happens depends on the ISP. My Comcast used to change a good bit, but my Verizon one has been the same for about 2 years.

How do I set up a Port forward on the Arris?
    Take a look at this guide and see if that helps. It's for a DG850, but it should get you close.

Also, do I need to do any firewall settings?
    You shouldn't.

Once you have your ports forwarded, you can test them with this Open Port Check Tool. Just punch in the port number you've chosen and hit the Check button.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
    No necessarily. It really just depends on how much work you are willing to do. Do you have a computer in your house that is on all the time and connected to the Internet? If so, you can use that to run a DNS updater program. Another option is to access your controller by IP address, as opposed to DNS name. The only issue is that your connection will break if your ISP changes your IP address. You would need to update the IP address you use to connect each time your ISP changes your IP address. How often that happens depends on the ISP. My Comcast used to change a good bit, but my Verizon one has been the same for about 2 years.
    I don't have an extra computer. How do I set up access through IP I imagine I still have to do some kind of port forwarding?

e.g.:

I still have to do some kind of port forwarding?

• In the Apex network settings, disable DHCP.
    • Change the last part of the listed IP address to a nice round number like 100. Example: if the current IP address is 192.168.1.8, change it to 192.168.1.100.
    • If you have changed the Apex http port to something other than 80, change it back to the default of 80.
    • Click Update network settings
    • Make sure you can access the Apex at it's new IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.100.
    • In the router Add Virtual Server page:

- Description: ApexWeb
    - Inbound port: pick an easily-remembered 4-digit number between 1027 and 9999. Enter that number in both fields, as in 3456 to 3456
    - Format: TCP
    - Private IP address: enter the new IP address of the Apex
    - Local port: enter 80 in both fields, like 80 to 80
    - Click Add Virtual Server

• Go to www.ipchicken.com; it will tell you your public IP address.
    • Using your smartphone web browser and WiFi in the phone *disabled*, test access via the Internet using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:#### using the actual public IP address in place of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and the 4-digit number you picked in place of ####

Regular Vistor
    • In the Apex network settings, disable DHCP.
    • Change the last part of the listed IP address to a nice round number like 100. Example: if the current IP address is 192.168.1.8, change it to 192.168.1.100.
    • If you have changed the Apex http port to something other than 80, change it back to the default of 80.
    • Click Update network settings
    • Make sure you can access the Apex at it's new IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.100.
    • In the router Add Virtual Server page:

- Description: ApexWeb
    - Inbound port: pick an easily-remembered 4-digit number between 1027 and 9999. Enter that number in both fields, as in 3456 to 3456
    - Format: TCP
    - Private IP address: enter the new IP address of the Apex
    - Local port: enter 80 in both fields, like 80 to 80
    - Click Add Virtual Server

• Go to www.ipchicken.com; it will tell you your public IP address.
    • Using your smartphone web browser and WiFi in the phone *disabled*, test access via the Internet using http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:#### using the actual public IP address in place of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and the 4-digit number you picked in place of ####
    Great instructions. This helped me connect with my Iphone as long as I'm on Wifi, do I need to do something else to connect when Im not on Wifi? LTE and 3G?

Quote Originally Posted by benibarra23 View Post
    do I need to do something else to connect when Im not on Wifi? LTE and 3G?
    That's what the entire text you quoted is about.

Regular Vistor
    That's what the entire text you quoted is about.
    I guess maybe I missed something then because I can connect as long as I am on Wifi after following those steps on my phone but when I switch over to LTE it cant connect. Any ideas?

Post screen shots of the Apex network settings and the router's Virtual Server settings.

Regular Vistor
    Arris.jpgApexNetwork.jpg
    Post screen shots of the Apex network settings and the router's Virtual Server settings.

Delete the second Virtual Server rule - it's not valid for your Apex settings. The first one looks fine, as do your Apex settings.

Confirm that the router's LAN IP address 192.168.0.1.

When you try with your phone in cellular mode, are you using 192.168.0.100 or the public IP address of your router (easily checked by visiting http://www.ipchicken.com). You need to use the public IP address and the Inbound Port number. http://public-ip-address:2000

Feel free to send me a PM with the public IP address and I'll do a test.

Regular Vistor
    You rock, I knew it was something simple and I was just missing it. Thank you.