Thread: There is no way that my PH is 7.3!

Frequent Visitor

There is no way that my PH is 7.3!

Okay, I've been trying to figure this out for a week and I need help.

I have 2 PH probes, and both are reading about 0.7 too low!
    In newly mixed RC salt (mixes up to 12 dkh) it reads 7.7, and in my SPS tank that is 7.5 dkh it reads about 7.3 to 7.4 depending on time of day.
    My tank should be about 8, and new RC salt is 8.3+ so those numbers are the right distance apart, but the wrong readings.

I re-calibrated the probes again and it didn't change, so I bought new calibration solution and calibrated again and had the same issue.

Prior to the calibration the probes were reading right.

Here is the kicker! If I put the probes in the calibration solution they read perfect.

I've tried calibrating at 7 and 10, and even 4 and 7, nothing changes.

Do you have any ideas? One of the probes is brand new, the other one is about 2 years old, both are doing the same thing.

Help! I'm at a loss,
    Whiskey

Frequent Visitor
    I thought I might come back and update this thread. As it turns out my PH really was that low. I don't know why that bucket of RC salt mixed up that low, but a new one didn't. The tank itself was confirmed to be running at about 7.5 PH due to the CA reactor having too high PH with too much water flow. I adjusted the PH down and the flow down to maintain ALK/CA and the tank PH came back up. The test kit I used to challenge my readings was eventually found to be wrong as well.

Whiskey

Help with PH. Do you have a dual chamber reactor? If not get a brs reactor and put media into it and run the effluent though it...I did this and it raised my pd...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    I thought I might come back and update this thread. As it turns out my PH really was that low. I don't know why that bucket of RC salt mixed up that low, but a new one didn't. The tank itself was confirmed to be running at about 7.5 PH due to the CA reactor having too high PH with too much water flow. I adjusted the PH down and the flow down to maintain ALK/CA and the tank PH came back up. The test kit I used to challenge my readings was eventually found to be wrong as well.

Whiskey
    Attached Images Attached Images