Thread: Controllable valve

Regular Vistor

Controllable valve

I want to setup a valve that can shut off flow to my zeo reactor from my manifold.

Someone pointed out this valve to me on Reef Central:

http://wicvalve.com/1-2-Anti-Corrosi...2PCZ-1-2-D.htm

It closes when power is received. There is a 24VDC model and I was thinking I could control it with my apex via a 1 link cable. Am I mistaken here?

I think it would depend on the current draw if the valve when it's closed. The 1link can only source so much current.

Frequent Visitor
    Wic has a 110 volt unit you can plug into an EB

A bit of clarification - 1LINK ports and cables are 4-pin and are not for any DIY use. Currently, the only uses for 1LINK ports and cables are for WAVs and DOS.

DC24 ACC port and cables are 2-pin, and are for use with 24 volt accessories like the PMUP and SV1 solenoid. A DC24 cable with bare wire tips is available for DIY connections. The cable part number is CBL-DC24-BARE-10. I know that at least one online retailer has them incorrectly listed as a 1LINK cable.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/cables/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I've been considering an electric ball valve so that when my return pump shuts off, it closes off flow back down into a sump. In other words, I don't want to put a check valve in it. I want a ball valve so that when I do any work on anything, the piping up to the upper level of the house stays full. I found one on ebay that I think would do it. Looks like it uses no power unless it's in motion, so either NC or NO, it won't draw current all the time. You guys have any thoughts on it? Here's a link to one on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Sta...ball+valve+24v

SS304 is not suitable for marine / saltwater use.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    SS304 is not suitable for marine / saltwater use.
    Correct, but I would bet this is just a standard ball valve, and the motorized section could be taken off and put on to a 316 valve pretty easily.

New User
    This is what I currently use.

BACOENG 1" DN25 110VAC Stainless Steel Motorized Ball Valve 2 Way/Zone Valve With US Plug(NC CR202 2 Wires Control Electrical Ball Valve) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVR7P6O..._vpx.yb1SXH7Z7

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by deathbyvegemite View Post
    This is what I currently use.

BACOENG 1" DN25 110VAC Stainless Steel Motorized Ball Valve 2 Way/Zone Valve With US Plug(NC CR202 2 Wires Control Electrical Ball Valve) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PVR7P6O..._vpx.yb1SXH7Z7

Do you know what grade of stainless? Any pitting? Age? Do you know if it consumes any power when not in motion? I assume not, but making sure. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    Do you know what grade of stainless? Any pitting? Age? Do you know if it consumes any power when not in motion? I assume not, but making sure. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    I don't know about the grade. I've had it in over a year and there's been no obvious signs of wear on it. It only draws power when it's open.

Over all, the only complaint I have is my ****ty install of it! LOL. But its not getting moved any time soon, I'd need to get the 210g a lot further away from the wall to do that, and i don't like my chances of that. Was hard enough to get in place without water or rocks!

New User
    I also noticed that the valve listed is a NC Normally Closed which means that you would have to run power to the valve to keep it open. I would think you would want a normally open valve, and only close it with power.

New User
    I personally use mine for auto top up, so I want it off by default.

Regular Vistor
    There are also ball valves available that use power to move open or move closed, but once moved, they consume no power at all. Those would simply stay in whatever position they are in if power went off.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    There are also ball valves available that use power to move open or move closed, but once moved, they consume no power at all. Those would simply stay in whatever position they are in if power went off.
    Oh, that is cool, I don't think i saw any of them in my searching! Mine does the job nicely for now, but a few years time when I decide the tank needs a complete make over...

Regular Vistor
    Check on Bulk Reef Supply. Just saw a video of a solenoid valve they carry just for that purpose! Check it out....I want one as a redundancy ATO valve. All controllable via apex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk