Thread: Apex Cloning Help

Frequent Visitor

Apex Cloning Help

Honestly I have had about all I can take with Apex. I have a rather large system and over the last few years have had a series of failures and corrupt files that have caused all sorts of headaches. And of course they always happen at the worst possible time. I travel extensively and was hoping the Apex would be a huge help. It has turned out not to be the case. I am currently controlling 4 tanks and I really do believe the Apex is best used for monitoring and alarm messaging, not for control. Once you start to rely on it for control and it fails, and believe me it will, you are completely blind and have to go back to a manual system. This is not always so easy to do. It lulls you into a very comfortable confident place then ****s the bed and all hell breaks loose.

My latest experience had a corrupted Base unit which will require me to go through the Cloning process using the Cloning Guide, which brings me to my questions.

When I had a technician call and diagnose the problem I was told I would have to go through a factory reset and would lose all of my programming. Apparently either he did not save my current config Bin file or it was also corrupted. I did have one from 5 months ago which is way better than starting from scratch. After reading the cloning guide this seems like a very convuluted way of doing a replacement of my config files. Requiring a 12 vold supply and all sorts of connects and disconnects of modules. In the manual it references a NEW Apex and the OLD Apex, in my case I only have one, my old one. How do I manage this when I am replacing the programming in the same Apex?

Restoring an Apex configuration from a backup file does not require going through the Cloning procedure. Both the sticky post about cloning and the Cloning Guide itself clearly state that the cloning procedure is for cloning from one Apex to another Apex base unit, and therefore it is not applicable in your case.

To load a backup onto the same Apex it was made from, you simply go to the Configuration->Load/Save page, select the file from your computer, select what parts (or everything) to restore, then do it. Wait a minute or two until it reboots. Done.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    The tech told me I had to clone. It did not make sense to me at the time but Im not the expert. Thanks Russ

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Restoring an Apex configuration from a backup file does not require going through the Cloning procedure. Both the sticky post about cloning and the Cloning Guide itself clearly state that the cloning procedure is for cloning from one Apex to another Apex base unit, and therefore it is not applicable in your case.

To load a backup onto the same Apex it was made from, you simply go to the Configuration->Load/Save page, select the file from your computer, select what parts (or everything) to restore, then do it. Wait a minute or two until it reboots. Done.
    I'm in a similar situation. My Apex died. It was smoking so it's gone. I have backup files and a spare Apex. When I tried to load the backup on the spare the configuration doesn't match. The outlets don't seem correct and the power bar outlets aren't turning on. What needs to be done to load a different Apex's backup for the new one to work correctly?