Thread: 2016 apex questions

New User

2016 apex questions

I'm considering adding a 2016 apex to a dual tank build I'm putting together (display propagation / frag tanks). I'd really like to avoid having to purchase a 2nd 832 power bar if possible and already resigned to keeping my 2 ati 8 bulb fixtures and reefbrites on their own seperate digital timers.

I need 3 outlets for dosers as I run aquaforest and need to stagger the dosing times. Tho to free up a couple outlets I might be open to picking a decent tripple head doser so long as it can be programmed to work as I need it. Maybe even a couple kore 5th units to dose the 9 AF products and handle the ATO as well.

- Return pump will be a varios or vertex
    - Skimmer is a sro 3000, and will have an avast skimmate locker, maybe a swabbie
    - Heater undecided
    - Auto top off still undecided, probably a peristaltic pump

For flow I'll have 2 gyre 150s in one tank and a single 130 in another id like controlled through the apex. I think ill need 3 ice cap modules, but am not sure if these require outlets on the 832 or not.

Feed and maintenance modes are very important to me as I'm currently setting up a mixing station with long hoses to make water changes as painless as possible. Any input on what ill need to get this all together would be greatly appreciated.

Frequent Visitor
    It looks like you have 7 things to plug in plus the gyres. That will not be a problem. The way the gyres come from the factory the only thing the Apex can do is turn them on and off if they are plugged into an energy bar. The ide cap replaces the controller for the gyre and is controlled by a 0-10 volt input, the voltage is only for control and can not be used to run anything. The 2016, and classic, both have 4 0-10 volt outputs, so you could control the gyres with that and plug them into a power strip. You can set up a feed mode that will turn stuff off or just lower the speed on the gyres.

I have my ato, dosing, and new water in the basement and I run an aquabus cable down to a DOS pump, for automatic water changes, and an EB8 to control the dosing, ATO, and some other pumps down there. If you run an aquabus cable down to the mixing area you could put an EB4 or EB8, no need for the fancy EB832 but you could use one if you wanted to use the DC power for anything, in fact you could put the EB832 that comes with the Apex down there and get an EB8 for upstairs. With a setup like that you could control pumps for water change from your phone while you stood by the tank.