Thread: Apex Jr Temp Control

New User

Apex Jr Temp Control

I was thinking of getting the APEX Jr, but I want to make sure it is programmable to meet my specific needs.

I need to run a chiller so that it keeps the temp between 55 and 58 F in the evening, and then keeps it at 65-68F during the day. Will Apex Jr allow two different set temperature ranges during two different times of day?

Frequent Visitor
    Not a problem, but not the simplest thing.

Create 2, or more, virtual outlets that specify the time and temperatures you would like and have them be on if the temperature needs to be lowered.

Then for the outlet that controls the chiller just turn it on if the virtual outlets are on.

If you want you can have as many virtual ones as you want so you could have 4 with intermediate temperatures between day and night.

Frequent Visitor
    The apex will only turn the chiller on or off, is the chiller designed to operate that way?

or can the chiller take an input signal to change its setpoint from high to low? You could use the apex to provide that signal, may need a relay to do it but can be done.

so more info about the chiller is needed, but it should be doable.

New User
    Thanks p7willm! I had saw a thread that I thought demonstrated how to do it on the Apex, but I wasn't positive the Apex Jr could do it. Your response really helps confirm it. I have included the link here for others in the future if they stumble on this thread. https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?2883-Programming-a-night-drop-in-temperature&highlight=cooling

Frogfish, The chiller is actually a thermoelectric wine chiller. I grow cloud forest miniature orchids and the temps need to get down to 55 each night for them to do well. Just turning it on and off at set temperatures will work fine. However, I think it could also take an input signal. That may be something I mess with in the future. Thanks everyone for your input.