Thread: Opinions wanted

New User

Opinions wanted

Hi All

I am planning out my next tank build. I'll be upgrading from an 85g Tall to a 120 -180, not decided on size yet. My Apex and all my modules will move over to the new tank. I'm currently running a FOWLR, but looking to get back in to reefing once the new tank is running and stable. I have a few questions and would like to get as much insight as possible.

1. Closed Loop- does any one use them anymore, or has everyone switched to WQV's If so, how much flow do you run?

2. Overflow - new tank will be drilled but I'm not a fan of tower overflows. I'm considering either a Synergy Reef Systems Shadow overflow or a Custom Aquariums H2Overflow with stealth box. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is the something better out there?

3. Sump/Refugium - build my own or buy a pre-made sump. I really like the features of Trigger Systems and Skimz sumps but not sure I want to pay that kind of money for something I can build myself.

4. Top off water storage.what is everyone using for top off storage? My tank will be nowhere near a water source. The only reason my wife agreed to this new tank was that I had to promise to get my top off buckets out of sight. I want something that will hold 5-10 gallons, maybe more but I can't afford to lose too much space in my stand.

5. Return pipe - through the glass or up and over the rim? I will be using a canopy so up and over the rim can be disguised easily.
    Thanks all for your input.

Brian

I would not touch the H2O Overflow has it has no back up solution .
    Alain

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    OMG it's Alain!!!!!!!!!!!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Alain B View Post
    I would not touch the H2O Overflow has it has no back up solution .
    Whoa, yeah, I mean I get that it's nice and clean looking but how would you add a fail-safe without ruining the aesthetics the product is trying to accomplish. You're either running super noisy (siphon cycling) or risking imminent flooding.

@brianrobb, to your other questions:

1) Closed Loop - Not too common on anything other than giant tanks, and even then as supplemental tool to eliminate dead spots.

2) Overflow - Shadow overflows are great. Also, a DIY coast to coast with "smoked" glass (here's mine) with a black background is nearly invisible.

3) Sumps - You nailed it, build your own for your specific needs or go with the cool premade ones with nice acrylic features, just depends on where you want to spend your $$$

4) ATO Reservior - Pump it from another room/closet? There's also skinny/tall options.

5) Return Pipe - Up and over is easy, especially if you're always going to have a canopy. Split it off and use some Loc-Line.

Regular Vistor
    I built my own out of a 55 and sectioned off 36" of it for the actual sump (drain, skimmer, fuge, return) and used the remaining 12" as my ATO reservoir. To be honest, there's a lot I wish I had done differently now as it was my first time building a sump but the ATO is not one of them.

Regular Vistor
    I have a 60G cube, about half the size of what you will be upgrading to and I had similar requirements of making everything fit in the stand as the tank was in the living room in a second floor apartment!

I used the 5 gallon jugs they sell at fish stores...gets me through a week-10 days worth of top off. I wish I had a bigger ATO container but limited on space...for you tank size being 100+ gallons I would look into keeping a 10-20 gallon ATO if you don't want to keep filling it up...a 20 tall tank should be a cheap option if you have the room under the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    On the ATO, for last 10 years I have been running Reverse osmosis water supply directly to a simple float in the sump. It has worked flawlessly. I also plumbed I a normally open solenoid valve tied to a high wate level switch. I have never had a special ATO reservoir.

Frequent Visitor
    First, whatever you end up using, I strongly recommend using a Beananimal overflow system. I started with a Herbie a few years ago and switched to a Bean when I moved my tank and couldn't be happier. The synergy overflows let you do this, but they're a bit overpriced IMO. When I drilled my 120, I went to a glass shop and bought 2 - 4.5" x 48" pieces of Ľ" glass and made a coast to coast.

For the ATO Reservoir, it depends on your tank, stand, sump and what you have for room. I have a 40b sump and a standard 10g tank fits perfectly next to it. I would not recommend direct plumbing your RO supply to your sump. First, if the valve were to fail, you risk flooding your system and/or precipitously dropping your SG. Second, if you are considering going directly from the RO filter itself, they are not designed to be frequently switched on and off; the RO membrane takes time to achieve peak efficiency. frequent cycling will repidly deplete your DI resin.