Thread: Should water level sensor be NO or NC when level high?

New User

Should water level sensor be NO or NC when level high?

This is for an automatic water change system, using an apex and breakout box.

My current thinking is that when the water level reaches the top of the tank my sensor should open (or have no current conducting through the leads). This way if there is ever a cord accidentally cut or connection comes loose the tank will not overflow, also two sensors wired in series would give me extra protection.
    However if there was ever a short circuit this would cause the tank to overfill.

Which is best? Which is more likely...a short or a break?

Or maybe I should have one of each...one NC and one NO (but that would use up 2 inputs and also require more complex programming)

Thanks
    Andrew

Control Freak In Training
    2 separate inputs running a virtual outlet and one of each polarity seems the safest way to me.

Regular Vistor
    I work in the laser show industry and we use Estops on all of our systems. All of our estops are designed that when the circuit is closed the laser is enabled. This is a major safety requirement in US laser law as its easier to detect a problem like a cut cable, cable not plugged in, etc as you cant even start your laser until the circuit is made right. The likely hood of a bad cable or a cut is greater than a short as with a short you have to assume two things go wrong as opposed to one (cable gets cut/disconnected and then shorts with the other cable on the same side of the detecting side of the circuit as apposed to just the cable getting disconnected). You can mitigate a lot of short issues too by using proper solder techniques and heat shrink over solder joints. What if the circuit fails closed? Well in our situation we test this before each show, mind you our gear travels all of the world and gets beat up, but you can implement a similar check on your tank by just activating the float once a week or so.

so, To long/didn't read: go normally closed and use open to detect that emergency situation.