Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1" Flow sensor stopped working

Regular Vistor

1" Flow sensor stopped working

Did this happen to anyone yet? My 1" flow sensor just stopped reading any value. It has been running with no issues and working well since installation and this morning at 2am just no reading and sitting on 0 value, Nothing, no movement. My OS and modules are up to date. I unplugged FMM waited a minute and plugged back in. My 3 other OS switches are working properly on same FMM module. Please do not tell me it has to be cleaned after 2-3 weeks of operation. And yes there is full flow at the end of the line.

NSI Member
    It could be defective, or something might have got stuck in the sensor wheel. I'd try cleaning it first, but won't tell you you to :-). If that doesn't fix it, contact support.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I would check the connection to the module, mine was loose and I had a reading of zero flow.

NSI Member
    Nice coincidence, my 1" sensor just started reading 0. Did you ever get your's working again?

I did notice on mine if I unplug the FFM it will read about 150 and then work its way down to 0 again. Normally it is just over 400. Next step for me is pulling it out to try cleaning. It'll be a pain to get out as it is behind the tank. I'm also going to try a different FFM port.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    Nice coincidence, my 1" sensor just started reading 0. Did you ever get your's working again?

I did notice on mine if I unplug the FFM it will read about 150 and then work its way down to 0 again. Normally it is just over 400. Next step for me is pulling it out to try cleaning. It'll be a pain to get out as it is behind the tank. I'm also going to try a different FFM port.
    Yes i got it working but unfortunately it had to be opened because a little stupid snail went in there. No clue as to how it did it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Hopefully it is just something in mine too. I'll pull it off the system this weekend.

NSI Member
    Well, nothing in mine and the paddle wheel is turning freely. Changing the port on the FMM didn't help either. I'm opening a support ticket.

Regular Vistor
    Stupid question but is your FMM updated?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Yep, it is updated. Support decided to replace the sensor under warranty.

Frequent Visitor
    One of the 1/2" flowmeters stopped working. Any clues where to start looking for the fault? I swopped flowmeter jacks and the FMM is sensing the flowmeter is present. Its just not reading any flow. Must be the flow meter. Darn it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Make sure nothing is in it blocking the wheel movement. Also verify the FMM firmlevel is up to date. If neither of those are it, contact support as the sensor may be bad.

Frequent Visitor
    Thx. The FMM is at the latest firmware level. Unfortunately removing and inspecting the 1/2" flowmeter isn't too easy in my install so it will have to wait for when I have time to pull apart plumbing to inspect it properly. I did notice the flowrate before it stopped sensing was slowing down, as if the water was getting more dense when everything else in the flow was unchanged...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Finally opened up the plumbing. The 1/2" flowmeters are very susceptible to strands of algae slowing or stopping the turbine etc...after I washed the 1/2" flowmeters out I tested them and they work perfectly. May be worth placing an inline screen filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charles0dxb View Post
    Finally opened up the plumbing. The 1/2" flowmeters are very susceptible to strands of algae slowing or stopping the turbine etc...after I washed the 1/2" flowmeters out I tested them and they work perfectly. May be worth placing an inline screen filter?

I wouldn't recommend an inline one. Put the filter in an easily accessible and visible place such as a sponge filter on the drain standpipe or return pump that the meter is connected to. That way you can easily clean it without shutting things down and taking things apart.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Mine started out good but is doing the exact same thing. Getting 0 reading in Apex. This thing is brand new just installed today.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
    Mine started out good but is doing the exact same thing. Getting 0 reading in Apex. This thing is brand new just installed today.
    Usual protocol here is to start a new thread rather than tag onto an old one. Just for future reference.

Go through some basic checks. Make sure the impeller is not stuck and nothing is in it. Make sure you have the sensor pointed the correct direction. Check your connections. Otherwise you may have got a defective one. Contact support and if they can't get it working they'll arrange a replacement.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    Usual protocol here is to start a new thread rather than tag onto an old one. Just for future reference.

Go through some basic checks. Make sure the impeller is not stuck and nothing is in it. Make sure you have the sensor pointed the correct direction. Check your connections. Otherwise you may have got a defective one. Contact support and if they can't get it working they'll arrange a replacement.
    Thanks for making me actually LOOK at the arrow. Working great now. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    anyone got an update on this... two of my 1" flow meters now reading zero.. i opened them.. they are all good nothing blocking them and moving freeely.. one went several weeks ago. and now another.. two of four have stopped... Do we have any updates... is this a common issue.. contacting Neptune again today..

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    anyone got an update on this... two of my 1" flow meters now reading zero.. i opened them.. they are all good nothing blocking them and moving freeely.. one went several weeks ago. and now another.. two of four have stopped... Do we have any updates... is this a common issue.. contacting Neptune again today..

I had a one inch sensor just do this... I opened it up, nothing blocking it. Its just dead. My warranty has expired too, so support couldn't help me. I'm not really inclined to purchase another one, because I don't want to have to replace it again in a year.

New User
    I have a similar situation I have a series of Flow meters on my setup and some have mysteriously stopped working. I know the Flow meters are clean and work because I now have about 5 spares and have the same issue. I have a query into Neptune because I don’t think it is the meters or the FMM because I have swapped both out with same results. Hopefully I can get the Neptune guys to let me show them live.

Quote Originally Posted by ctlee520 View Post
    I have a similar situation I have a series of Flow meters on my setup and some have mysteriously stopped working. I know the Flow meters are clean and work because I now have about 5 spares and have the same issue. I have a query into Neptune because I don’t think it is the meters or the FMM because I have swapped both out with same results. Hopefully I can get the Neptune guys to let me show them live.

This probably won't help, but just to rule out everything, make sure you have them plugged in all the way to the audible click and there isn't much play in the jack when plugged in. I'm pretty sure the flow sensors transduce with a current loop, which is extremely sensitive to loose connections.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User

crap

I've had three meters so far; one FS-200 (replaced under warranty but seized after a few weeks) and one FS-100 which worked fine for about half a year and then all of a sudden showed up with zero flow.

A friend of mine also had 2 FS-100's and one of them had to be replaced within a few days under warranty.

As far as I'm concerned these things are utter crap. A word of advice : stay away from them.

The most horrid thing is all the effort of plumbing etc. to end up with something that simply does not work reliably.
    Hopefully I can save some people from the bad experience.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkvanassche View Post
    I've had three meters so far; one FS-200 (replaced under warranty but seized after a few weeks) and one FS-100 which worked fine for about half a year and then all of a sudden showed up with zero flow.

A friend of mine also had 2 FS-100's and one of them had to be replaced within a few days under warranty.

As far as I'm concerned these things are utter crap. A word of advice : stay away from them.

The most horrid thing is all the effort of plumbing etc. to end up with something that simply does not work reliably.
    Hopefully I can save some people from the bad experience.
    My 1/2" stopped after a week.

Regular Vistor

1" Flow sensor stopped working

I agree. I have had 2 fs100’s that both have shown unreliable readings. Stop and start working and have wide swings in flow being reported. Worst thing about it however is the denial from Neptune this is an issue. Very passive aggressive. Definitely stay away from this product of reliability is important.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't know, mine has been relatively solid. A few issues here and there. You have to make sure they are clean of debris and the white-line of the impeller mag is not blocked by slime. I usually have to clean mine once every 3 months or so. I have 1/4 inch, 1/2inchx2 and 1 inch. Smaller they are the more you need to maintain them. You also have to take in consideration your pumps, who is to say those do not vary your flow or other factors as well, hard to say without knowing your system. Keep them clean, give them a wack here and there, and they should work good enough to do their job. A flow meter accuracy or hiccup here or there isn't critical to the survival of your system......or is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast