Thread: WAV stall error

NSI Member

WAV stall error

One of my pumps has developed a stall error and will not run. I've replaced the impeller and cleaned the pump. I've also swapped the outlet on the 1Link with the working pump. Firmware is up to date on the Apex, 1Link, and WAV. I can also feel there is power to it when I manually try to turn the impeller.

I've opened a support ticket, but thought I'd also see if anyone here had any ideas.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I have the same problem!

open a ticket and they are more the helpful. In the end I need to clean the wav almost every week to make it run.

One thing that worked for me for 3 weeks was to swap the impellers from both pumps ... the problem didn't follow the impeller and everything was working for about 3 weeks. Then it came to the same.

I will clean the pump once again (BTW I have 2x Tunze 6095 that are working for 2y without cleaning) and if that does not solve the problem I will go and reopen the ticket!

All the best,
    Rui

NSI Member
    I did soak the pump in a vinegar and water mixture for 2 days and it looks like new. The impeller is fresh out of the package. No response from support yet. I am hoping I don't have to replace it already.

NSI Member
    Neptune support did a troubleshooting call last night and found no software or power issues. The issued a RMA to send it in for repair. Now to wait to see how much it will cost.

Frequent Visitor riverchemistry's Avatar
    If they recommended an RMA you'll be fine.

Frequent Visitor
    So neptune support haven't found anything ...

Today again I removed the pump for 24h cleaning with water + vinegar ...

It was stopping every 10/20 seconds

So I put the pump in the cleaner water and the pump didn't stopped ... I moved to aquarium and immediately started to stop. Back to the cleaner container and didn't stop ... I was going crazy until I decided to put the pump inside the cleaner container sideways just like I had in the reef. It started to stall ... so back to tank in up straight position and so far hasn't stopped yet.

What do you say about that hein????

All the best,
    Rui

NSI Member
    No word back on my RMA yet. Tracking says they got it last Friday.

NSI Member
    Just got the reply back. The WAV is not repairable. They offered a discount on a replacement at least.

Frequent Visitor
    Well,

Some news here:

1 - Power brick is green
    2 - 1Link is green
    3 - APEX FW is 4.52_5A17
    4 - All module status are (OK)
    5 - changed the impellers from the pumps and the problem does not follow the impeller (so it's not the impeller that has problems)
    6 - changed ports in 1Link, from 2 to 3, and the problem does follow port (so it's not the port that's causing the problem)
    7 - Cleaned the pumps in vinegar 3 times already in the past week so the pumps look pristine new

So for me the problem is clearly in the pump body. I re-opened the case and will see what they say.

I bought the pump in US but I am from Portugal. Happy to pay the shipments back and forth ... as it's my conscientious responsibility to buy it in US!

Will see what Neptune Support replies!

All the best,
    Rui

New User
    Druhy Wav mě poslaly na stejnou chybu a po záruce. Zpětná vazba stání a čištění nepomohlo, myslím, že pokud se nejedná o konstrukční vadu, One MP40 ecotech běží 3 roky a my jsme neměli problém ani bez čištění.

Regular Vistor
    Has anyone replaced the impeller and gotten the stall error to go away?

Frequent Visitor

WAV Stall and impeller

Quote Originally Posted by drhead0 View Post
    Has anyone replaced the impeller and gotten the stall error to go away?
    I was just looking for the same answer...

I've had mixed luck with the WAV Powerheads over the years, even bought a backup one at one point.
    Dreaded STALL creeped back up this week.

Frequent Visitor
    I've had this WAV stall issue now for a second time. It first started about 8 months out of the box. Opened support ticket and initially they replaced the impeller, this worked for about a week and then the stall condition returned. The ticket was reopened and eventually they sent me a new WAV (without the magnets). About 4 weeks after that the second WAV started having stall issues. I currently have a support call with Neptune scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. It has not been a cleaning issue and there was no scale build-up whatsoever on either the impeller or pump head. In my modest evaluation, it appears that the impeller becomes unbalanced and doesn't allow the impeller securing plate to spin freely about the impeller. The center shaft of the impeller is some sort of plastic (polypro ??) and to me suggests that it is not an appropriate material for the job it's designed to do. A more rigid (ceramic ??) shaft may have been more suited for the job. I've related these observations to Neptune but got only crickets in response. Curiously though, good luck even finding a new WAV or even an impeller on the BRS site or anywhere else at this point. Everyone is out of stock with no idea of when they will be available again.

Frequent Visitor
    Update: Neptune is sending me a replacement for the second time. Hopefully I get more than 8 or 9 months out of these replacements 'cause I wanna like them.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bada Bing View Post
    Update: Neptune is sending me a replacement for the second time. Hopefully I get more than 8 or 9 months out of these replacements 'cause I wanna like them.
    I agree! I’ve had mine longer but replacing impeller has not corrected the STALL issue this latest time. I bought two originally and then a third one as a backup. Then I got a 10ft wide tank and had all three running. The one that failed was also the “master” and the other two were basically mirroring its program set to the BACK of the tank. This was great as I could also specify a %reduction in how strong the back ones both worked. Once the master STALLED, the back two basically were stalled. It is strange they didn’t still follow the programming. So loosing the master meant I had to reset origramming on both of my BACK WAV pumps to be stand-alone in their scheduling. I had to manually adjust every one since the WAV pumps don’t have their own type of IQ Setting. It was straight forward as these pumps were running at 10% of the master so I would just set the power to 1/10 of the power setting used in the main WAV. When you set up a WAV as a BACK pump and point it to the main WAV you can set the power % accordingly.
    Anyways, long ramble… but like I’ve said before, I love this stuff until it fails. It’s hard sometimes to justify buying a new one when the warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmoote View Post
    I agree! I’ve had mine longer but replacing impeller has not corrected the STALL issue this latest time. I bought two originally and then a third one as a backup. Then I got a 10ft wide tank and had all three running. The one that failed was also the “master” and the other two were basically mirroring its program set to the BACK of the tank. This was great as I could also specify a %reduction in how strong the back ones both worked. Once the master STALLED, the back two basically were stalled. It is strange they didn’t still follow the programming. So loosing the master meant I had to reset origramming on both of my BACK WAV pumps to be stand-alone in their scheduling. I had to manually adjust every one since the WAV pumps don’t have their own type of IQ Setting. It was straight forward as these pumps were running at 10% of the master so I would just set the power to 1/10 of the power setting used in the main WAV. When you set up a WAV as a BACK pump and point it to the main WAV you can set the power % accordingly.
    Anyways, long ramble… but like I’ve said before, I love this stuff until it fails. It’s hard sometimes to justify buying a new one when the warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed but ultimately, for ~$370 to replace a pair, that's about the $ for a single MP40 and coupling that with not having the remote hardware or eating up an EB8 plug still make them a no brainer for me. Nevertheless and as I mentioned, if I needed to buy a new one, I'm not sure where I'd get it from. I'm just hoping their making the final tune on a WAV v2.0.

Frequent Visitor

Replacement option

Quote Originally Posted by Bada Bing View Post
    Agreed but ultimately, for ~$370 to replace a pair, that's about the $ for a single MP40 and coupling that with not having the remote hardware or eating up an EB8 plug still make them a no brainer for me. Nevertheless and as I mentioned, if I needed to buy a new one, I'm not sure where I'd get it from. I'm just hoping their making the final tune on a WAV v2.0.

Checking my records for updating the support ticket reminded me that all three of my WAV pumps are >6yrs old. What seems like a short bit ago was actually 6 years... so even though it hurts spending money, the support team offers a reduced rate for some of these purchases so it ended up not being terrible. The support team is always responsive and do what they can to help.

Scott