Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radion FWG4 Pro

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Gmcman for the info. However, I don't think I am comfortable in making these changes, especially since I have little knowledge of programming. I think at this point I'll stick with the Reeflink until Neptune fixes this problem which may or may not happen.

Cool

If your going to use the FWG4's (I have 6 for my 300 gal FW tank), don't depend on Neptune or EcoTecMarine for any help - it won't happen - depend on the Community (Russ & Zombie were a big help). I spent weeks with both Neptune and EcoTec, only to have to research within the Community on how to write programing, create virtual outlets, interface with the internal sun and moon charts, etc. (and I'm new at this). Once you get the hang of writing the programs and adjusting settings, its not that hard.

But in the end, it's up and working beautifully. If you want to see the initial programing I did, see my Thread "Programing for 4 Radion XR15 Freshwater G4 Pro's in APEX 2016 WXM Module w/ Left to Rigth Delayed StartUp". It's not the final, but close (the overall current information will take up to 5 Posts to copy and paste the info on to the Thread due to character number limitation of each Thread) and uses all 5 colors available with the FWG4 Pro.

I've created a predawn to twilight and moonlight sequence with storm/lightning effects for each fixture, with each fixture starting in a delayed sequence from left to right (east to west) pattern. Took some time but it works, and I am pleased with the results. Many that have seen it in operation were amazed on how life like the lighting effects are and how they support a planted tank.

Frequent Visitor
    thanks for the info. It still looks complicated to me but I'll give it a try. I don't want to blindly copy your program as I want to make sure I understand it so it is definitely going to take some time.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
    thanks for the info. It still looks complicated to me but I'll give it a try. I don't want to blindly copy your program as I want to make sure I understand it so it is definitely going to take some time.
    Hi Lang510,

Does xr15 fw G4 pro describe as radion g4p or just radion on Apex 2016 outputs ?

As I'm gonna try using it as refugium lights can you tell me what your color setting for this xr15 fw

Frequent Visitor
    It just says Radion. I use the ecotech reeflink to program my lights. Is that what you are using? I just use the Apex to turn it on and off.

New User
    No, I'm using Apex. Many problem occur when using reeflink and decide to ditch it. Can I assume color channel with apex is the same when you using program it with reeflink ? I just got this light today and still looking for answer from internet for growth setting with this xr15fw like spectrum for color channel or what power to run it, etc.

Maybe I can get the answer from you or I just trial and error with this lights

Quote Originally Posted by Friss13 View Post
    No, I'm using Apex. Many problem occur when using reeflink and decide to ditch it. Can I assume color channel with apex is the same when you using program it with reeflink ? I just got this light today and still looking for answer from internet for growth setting with this xr15fw like spectrum for color channel or what power to run it, etc.

Maybe I can get the answer from you or I just trial and error with this lights
    See post 36. Since FW radions aren't natively supported, you have to manually modify the tdata to activate the WW.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User

Bump

Any update for native XR15FW G4 support??

Post 36 describes the TDATA messages needed, it would be really nice if Apex could roll this into a small update.

Frequent Visitor

Update

I haven't heard anything. I filled out a survey and it said they would contact everyone who responded with a problem. Never heard from them.

New User
    I just installed the WXM to interface my Radion FW G4s with my Apex ... and it recognizes all EIGHT (8) channels!

And I've confirmed that I can adjust each of them:
    - Red
    - Green
    - Blue
    - Royal Blue
    - UV
    - Cool White
    - Warm White
    - Violet

Works great!

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.02.03 PM.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by evangemeren View Post
    I just installed the WXM to interface my Radion FW G4s with my Apex ... and it recognizes all EIGHT (8) channels!

- Red
    - Green
    - Blue
    - Royal Blue
    - UV
    - Cool White
    - Warm White
    - Violet

Works great!

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.02.03 PM.jpg
    That's amazing. I know, using ecotech's program it only shows five colors and I believe there are only 5 colors on the lights. Did you happen to check what happens when you select UV or any other of the colors not on the lights? Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm going to start switching over from Reeflink.

New User
    Yes ... I've played with each slider to confirm that it changes the appearance of the light. I recognize that's not a very "scientific" answer, but combined with the info on EcoTech's website that confirms that there are, in fact, 8 different colors of LED's on the device, I didn't explore much further.

Here's what EcoTech's website shows for the XR15FW Pro:

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.31.12 PM.jpg

And for comparison, here's what is showing up on my Fusion page for configuring the device via the WXM module.

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.33.49 PM.jpg

I used the Reeflink Module from EcoTech for the past year to control my lights, instead of connecting them to my Apex. At the time I thought it would be easier since EcoTech already has an App built for that purpose. However, I found the ReefLink to be very unreliable, and frequently had to reboot the unit before I could tweak any of my programs or manually turn the lights on or off. So I got fed up and bought the WXM module so I could eliminate the ReefLink and control the lights via Apex Fusion. So far, so good ... as long as it's reliable I'll never look back!

New User
    In case it helps anyone trying to do the same thing, here are the various FW revs for my WXM and Radions (courtesy of the module page in Fusion)

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 3.39.32 PM.jpg

Frequent Visitor

FW Lights

You are looking at the wrong lights. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the FW version which shows they only have 5 lights.

When I look at my fusion I do not see the WW and only 6 colors.

If you are seeing all the 8 colors on your lights, you might not have the FW version.

Quote Originally Posted by evangemeren View Post

- Red
    - Green
    - Blue
    - Royal Blue
    - UV
    - Cool White
    - Warm White
    - Violet
    That is not a Radion Freshwater. That is the Marine variant Pro G4. The Freshwater Radion XR15FW Pro is G2 and has 5 channels.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Aha!

Of course, you are right.

I've had the darn things for more than a year and never realized I had the wrong fixture! When I purchased them from my LFS I specifically asked for the FW version, but clearly didn't look closely enough at the box when I installed them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Now I just need to figure out if I can re-shape the spectrograph to get the right frequency output I'm looking for, or if it's better to swap these things out for a FW variant (and maybe go back to Kessil!)

Frequent Visitor
    If you don't have a planted tank, I would just keep what you have. If you do, I would look at a Twinstar as they are fantastic for a planted tank. I just bought mine for my new tank. It doesn't have the programming but you can purchase a dimmer switch and you can easily down the intensity depending on what plants you have.

New User
    Dang! Got my hopes up .... anyone think they'll ever be able to get it working?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gentoo9ball View Post
    Dang! Got my hopes up .... anyone think they'll ever be able to get it working?
    Nope. They told me it wasn't worth it for them to put the resources into modifying the software.

New User
    Nope. They told me it wasn't worth it for them to put the resources into modifying the software.
    I would code it if they'd give me repo access 🤗

Frequent Visitor
    I contacted them over a year ago so you can try to contact them and see what they say.

New User
    I contacted them over a year ago so you can try to contact them and see what they say.
    I contacted them probably 6-8 months ago and they were fully concentrating on the Trident release. I completely get the 'dev rush' involved with a release like that. Maybe now is a good time to remind them and bump it up on the Feature List.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gentoo9ball View Post
    I contacted them probably 6-8 months ago and they were fully concentrating on the Trident release. I completely get the 'dev rush' involved with a release like that. Maybe now is a good time to remind them and bump it up on the Feature List.
    I'll do that.

New User
    I'll do that.
    I just put an FYI on plantedtank so they can assist with support,

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11223521

Frequent Visitor

Radion FWG4 Pro

I have one of these FW radions over my fuge and I discovered that it is possible to control it with a bit of a workaround by modifying the tdata lines. After I create my schedule and program the channels I can see with the wizard, then I can go into the advanced configuration and add data for the warm white channel.

Going into the advanced config you will see a bunch of tdata lines like this:

tdata 09:00:00,0,0,30,24,24,100,100,100,24,24,0,0,0

Each tdata line starts with the time, followed by two 0’s. The next parameter is overall intensity, then the next 6 are intensity for the 6 channels that show up in the wizard. Then the next parameter is intensity for warm white. So by manually changing that value from the default 0 to the intensity I want then I can get it to work. Then the next parameter is for the violet channel and you can do the same for that one (Although I can’t recall offhand if the FW light has a violet channel, so that might not be necessary)

It’s not pretty, but at least it does what I want in the end. Do note that if you modify the schedule with the wizard that you’ll need to go back into the advanced config and reapply your values for the warm white and violet channels.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast